ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup Rally Project

Clio Cup UK 182 Rally Car
Right then guys, bit of a newbie to this forum, I've had a log in for a while but never really posted until now! I use the BritishRally forum mainly to keep up to date with the rallying world but thought you would appreciate my project a bit more! My name is Scott, and this is my 182 Cup rally project!

My history is that I used to run a Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi in the 1-make 205 rally championship in 2007. Then I had the offer to buy a 2006 Clio 182 Cup Race car, as used by Palmer Sport for their arrive and drive track days and driver training days! After picking up the car (in superb nick) and then also having a HUUUUUGE spares package supplied, I set about work on the car to turn it into a rally car from a European spec race car. Here's how it panned out: -

I don't have many photos of the car originally, but here are a few of how Palmer Sport kept it before I took delivery of it.

Car Outside PalmerSport

Clio_02.jpg

Clio_05.jpg

Clio_03.jpg

Main Shell Changes: -

Had New Roll Cage Door Bars Fabricated and Welded in Place

(pic to follow)

Removed Engine and Box For Tuning and Rebuild

CIMG1236.jpg

Seam Welded Front of Shell + Re-Sprayed

CIMG1242.jpg

Co-Driver Seat Rails Welded In

Co-Driver Seat and Foot Well Fitted

All Race Spec Suspension Removed

CIMG1378.jpg

Fabricated and Welded new Strut-Tops

CIMG1237.jpg

CIMG1240.jpg

New 3-Way AST Dampers Fitted Front and Rear

018.jpg

PICT0104.jpg

New Strut Brace Fabricated and Fitted

017.jpg

Mud Flaps Fitted

Kevlar Under-Floor Protection and Tank Guards Fitted

Geometry'd at AST Workshop

High-Intensity Horns Fitted

New Engine Built and Installed

012.jpg

001.jpg

Wossner High-Comp Pistons

H-Section Forged Rods

002.jpg

421 Cams

Double Rated Valve Springs

3-Angle Valve Seats

Polished and Ported Jenvey Throttle Bodies

013.jpg

Balanced Bottom End

New Air Box Fabricated and Fitted

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Smaller Cooling Fan Fitted and Rad Mounts Extended for Throttle Bodies

New Thicker Sump Guard Fabricated and Fitted

Electrical Work: -

New Lighting Wiring and Switchpack

New AIM Digital Dash Fitted and Wired (new sensors fitted to engine)

Co-Drivers Horn Button

New Engine Management + Harness

Engine Re-Map (at GDI)

PICT0121.jpg

PICT0120.jpg

The Car As It Stands Today, Ready to Rally!: -

PICerT0091.jpg

PICTerr0093.jpg

PICwrT0094.jpg

If anyone wants any more photos of any specific part of the car then just let me know, and I will stick them on as soon as possible!

Once the guys at GDI had worked their magic, the engine produced 221 BHP and 165 lb/ft of Torque. This was at the first time of asking, with 0 miles on the engine at the rolling road. The Sadev Sequential 6-Speed gearbox only eats up 20 BHP, and when they did the run-out test is showed 201 BHP at the wheels!! I'm pretty chuffed really, it's taken about 6 months from start to finish, and as with everything - there's always room for improvement when the bank fills up again! :approve:

Hope you all enjoy it, and any comments are welcome! ;)

Scott.

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
That's awesome !

One question. The race spec suspension you removed (I'm guessing its the cup race car susp)

Why have the rear shocks got coils built into them, no seperate springs ? did you just leave the seats empty ?

I'll give you £100 for the old susp :D

M2 Competition
That's awesome !

One question. The race spec suspension you removed (I'm guessing its the cup race car susp)

Why have the rear shocks got coils built into them, no seperate springs ? did you just leave the seats empty ?

I'll give you £100 for the old susp :D

Coilover rear sus on race cars.

You wouldnt want to use it on a road car, its like driving with fixed rods instead of springs and dampers mate.

Titanium 182
Coilover rear sus on race cars.

You wouldnt want to use it on a road car, its like driving with fixed rods instead of springs and dampers mate.

I was more thinking of selling it on for profit and then buying some AST's with the funds :rasp:

Nice job, looks the part...

What power did the engine make?

Managed 201BHP at the wheels! I will be using the torque more though....!

How have you set ride height at the moment mate?

Is it for tarmac rallying, or a mixture?

The ride height is set at normal road height, I'm using it for the tarmac at the moment, but it might see some gravel if I feel like biting the bullet!

what box you using?

I'm using the Sadev 6-Speed sequential. It has Omex managment so I can still use flat shift! Sounds awesome, full throttle gearchange at 8300rpm ;) :D

Hi Scott,

I wondered if you was on here or not.

You'll have too keep the forum up to date with your results, starting with Penrith on the 30th.

If you want too post the pictures of the cage on here you can rather than email them to me, it's up to you.

I know you was looking to see how i was doing, so click this link and you should be able to follow the progress http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=437863
Hope to have it all sorted by early 2010

Engine mods will have to wait until later in 2010.

Atb
Chris

Ultra Red Megane 175
Car is looking fantastic Scott, I've heard rumblings of a Clio 182 one make championship is in the pipeline in a similar format to the 205/RWD Challenge. Heard anything about it?

Rhod

Car is looking fantastic Scott, I've heard rumblings of a Clio 182 one make championship is in the pipeline in a similar format to the 205/RWD Challenge. Heard anything about it?

Rhod

Yes I have Rhod,

Pat Flynn is planning the championship as we speak. Unfortunatly my car would be too advanced for that, unless they plan a modified class. The regs he has set out to publish are std engine and box, slightly better/uprated suspension and mounts and all the other safety mods - in keeping with the 1-make/minimal cost/closest rallying/best driver championship intentions.

Sunflower Yellow Ph1 172
Bet that sounds awesome on full chat going through the gears. Did you do all your own fabrication or get someone local to do it? Nice to see a car with some different ideas, is there much benefit to running the throttle boddies inside a box like that as apposed to a sausage filter?

Ultra Red Megane 175
Yes I have Rhod,

Pat Flynn is planning the championship as we speak. Unfortunatly my car would be too advanced for that, unless they plan a modified class. The regs he has set out to publish are std engine and box, slightly better/uprated suspension and mounts and all the other safety mods - in keeping with the 1-make/minimal cost/closest rallying/best driver championship intentions.

Sounds excellent, might look into it a bit more as I fancy making the jump from photographing cars to actually driving them. Since I'm quite familiar with the 182 it makes sense.

Cheers,

Rhod.

Bet that sounds awesome on full chat going through the gears. Did you do all your own fabrication or get someone local to do it? Nice to see a car with some different ideas, is there much benefit to running the throttle boddies inside a box like that as apposed to a sausage filter?

It sounds fantastic on full chat, especially if it's coming towards you with all that intake noise ;) :D

The reason that it is in a box is that rallying tends to involve water-splashes, lots of dust if you catch a slow car etc. so it keeps all the crap out. Socks tend to let stuff like that in!

very nice! any plans for on-event video?

I have some video of the test day when we were tuning the gearbox/diff and adjusting the ignition cut for the gearshift, so when I can I'll make a compilation and get it on the tube! :cool:

106 GTI
Cant wait to see the vid, any reason why the turrets where rebuilt? more strength or to make the ASTs fit?

Cant wait to see the vid, any reason why the turrets where rebuilt? more strength or to make the ASTs fit?

Yeah more strength, plus I could then use BM M3 top mounts = a lot more adjustment and also a lot more strength. All in the name of motorsport! ;) :D

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
very nice...,we use a sadev 6 speed sequential in our 205 rally car and is a joy to use, i have a vid of it but its not great :-(

awesome!!!

who built the engine and that throttle body set up?

The engine was built mainly by Iain Swan at SMD in Kent, he does a few rallycross cars and then I fitted the TB's myself. My Dad and I have done a few rally cars in the past so most of the fabrication and set-up we did ourselves!

What happened to the old track suspension? For sale?

I've sold the track suspension already - sorry! I'm currently trying to get rid of the Renaultsport Race seat, its on ebay at the mo!

Looks a serious bit of kit ! very nice

What events do you have planned?

My next event is the Pendragon on the 30th August! Just a "test the water" rally, see how we fair against the other 2ltr machinery!

it not for the street,
i only said it in jest

It is road legal, it is on a Q plate, similar to a kit-car. Had a few issues getting it through the SVA, nothing we couldn't put right though!

182cup & 172 racecar
I've sold the track suspension already - sorry! I'm currently trying to get rid of the Renaultsport Race seat, its on ebay at the mo!

LINK PLEASE

sweeeeeeet. Sounds awersome mate. Bet that's good fun to drive. You done a 0-60 in it?

Yep, roughly with the rally trip. We reckon about 4.3secs 0-60 with sticky tyres on a dry day. Still 50+kg to come out when I remove all the glass and put poly carb windows in it, should bring it down to about 900kg total! Will get a proper 0-60 done then!

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Have you done any rallies recently? What MC are you in?

did the wugging stages saturday just gone, managed 4 stages which were all very messy with various different problems before we noticed something amiss with the new engine so retired it before it was damaged further...if this works here is a little vid off my phone i took of stage 4 after the engine had 'gone off'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sZqR_IIFBA[/youtube]

We are with Plymouth motor club.

182 Cup Rally Project !!*New Video Posted*!!

Thats ace, what rallies are you planning in the future? I used to have a 205, nothing like that tho! Good old bog-standard 1.6. GTi power for the 205 Challenge!