ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup or 182 trophy...?

Italian 3.2 V6
lol so trophy seems to of out voted the 182ff/cup, trophy it seems to bee then lol i would want a very good clean and very good running example with good low milage on it, how much do u think i would be needing to pay to achieve this for nearer the end of this year? how well do they hold there value? just slightly more than a normal 182?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
About 1-1.5k more than a 182, they do hold there value better. I'd say 6k would get you into a decent one by the end of the year.

182 Cup
If you're going to keep it standard I'd say go for the Trophy. If you're planning on changing bits and bobs go for the 182ff. If you're planning on a track car or serious changes there's nothing wrong with a 182 cup.

Italian 3.2 V6
If you're going to keep it standard I'd say go for the Trophy. If you're planning on changing bits and bobs go for the 182ff. If you're planning on a track car or serious changes there's nothing wrong with a 182 cup.

naa wouldnt b tracking it and prob would just keep it standard tbh...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had a 182cup, they can be picked up cheap, but if doing serious changes (coilovers etc) then a 182 has zero benefits over a 172.

Trophy #490
Oh here we go again, another one of these threads! Just listen to Warren, he's owned the lot. Every single time it's 'Oh I wouldn't buy a Trophy just because of the colour, it's no quicker than any other 1*2, the dampers cost a million quid to fix if they break'.

All complete rubbish really. The fact of the matter is, the Trophy is the culmination of 5/6 years worth of Renaultsport development. Everything that they learned from previous Clio's was put into this one brilliant car to make it the best of the lot, and the greatest hot hatch ever made. All of the magazines agree, the Performance car mag feature against the 197 Cup the other month sums it up perfectly.

If you can afford to get a Trophy, now is a great time to buy. £7-8k will get you a low mileage, immaculate condition one. A Trophy will out handle a standard 172/182/197 Cup on every road/track. I was in a similar position to you, I drove a 182 Cup and thought it was brilliant, then tried the Trophy straight after on the same stretch of road and was amazed at the difference in the two. I then bought the Trophy straight away and have drove various 197's since but none of them have compared to it. Best decision I ever made in buying mine, four years nearly since it came out and still nothing has bettered it. R26R maybe, but nothing else.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I maintain, that as a standard road car, no hot hatch has bettered the Trophy. My non standard car is better in some circumstances, but not as a road car. I'm aiming to buy another at the end of the year, so I can push mine more towards being just a track car.

Last time I checked, it's entirely reasonable to not want a car because you don't like the colour. Confused TBH.

Italian 3.2 V6
wrong... i never said i did not like the colour, i put a :( because i think the liquid yellow is such a better colour compared to the red... and i said "i think i would get a trophy if there was no liquid yellow 182 about with decent milage (link below lol), then trophy it would be fo sho...!" which there prob wouldnt b, and as said they are over priced, plus since there has been some quit good reasons y to go for the trophy etc etc...

Italian 3.2 V6
my apologies.... i thought i was the only person who commented about the colour :S? but i have re-read and can see what you are on about lol, sorry.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im with warren tbh.You buy a car because you like it

Quote"A Trophy will out handle a standard 172/182/197 Cup on every road/track." end quote

I think it would be lucky if there were maybe 5 people on here good enough to show you the difference between all the cars you just mentioned

Clio Trophy (225/500)
Trophy prices are pretty good at the minute if you are in no rush and are willing to travel. I am picking up my trophy next week after coming from a 306 gti6. It is mint with only 20,000 miles on the clock with fsh. It even has 2 months renault warrenty left as the guy only bought it in April for 10K!!!

Cayman S Edition 1
I love my Trophy to bits, but i realised this morning its lacking the snow plow ability

P1010337.jpg

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Trophy Piers. My brother's mate has one and they are the ultimate stock 182. Fact. Also fact is that if you're gonna be driving it to work and back, you don't want one because the suspension will annoy the hell out of you at town speeds. :D