ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 crash car project

Clio 182 Titanium
Thought I'd start a thread for my new project.
Basically my mate crashed it @nurburgring with me in the passenger seat ..and I bought it off him not knowing its true condition...only just saved fron scrap heaven.
Just repairing it to start with and adding a few hidden upgrades along the way.
It already had Apex lowering springs on it. + one of those BMC? carbon intake things but i've given that back and put the origional airbox with CAF's in.
Ive now added KTR Braided brake hoses with some new dot 4 fluid.
Aswell as changing the front subframe, o/s wishbone, rear axle and o/s/r stub axle. O/S driveshaft, o/s inner and outer tie rod and lower balljoint. + reverse switch and front wing, foglight and headlight washer!:dapprove:
Found small debris in the gearbox that had been throw in when the d'shaft got ripped out... flushed it through a couple of times now and all seems well.

looking at getting powerflex dogbone bush and k&n panel filter put on the old girl next week + some alacantra a pillars and handbrake cover to smarten up the interior.
anybody got any idea how much it should cost to get the rear quarter fixed? would they bang it out & filler/paint or cut/weld/paint new panel?

100_0699.jpg
armco damage
100_0703.jpg
Snapped balljoint and bent wishbone!
100_0713.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
I remember seeing the thread on here about that car getting smashed up at the ring :( Thats some fairly hard ring sting.

Glad to see you saved it.

Have/are you going to straighten up the metal behind the wing?

S4 Avant
From some one who has done it before, you could buy a straight one for the money it would cost to repair.

That's traditionally why insurance companies "write cars off"

Astra SRI/ Hornet
looks like a big hit. id be worried about the chasis being straight, dunno how knowledgeable you are though and you were there in the crash.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
sorry, really sorry

What's that ment to mean? You have obviously been here a while... Doing a great job of making new people feel welcome man!

Anyway to the OP if your anywhere near Manchester I know a very good body shop thats reasonable price wise, PM if interested and I'll give you his details.

Clio 182 Titanium
C182 crash car project

Clearly a mixed response. Im sure you doubters will be converted in time..;)
I bought the car knowing it could go one way or the other.
For just over 1.1k. knowing I could get 1500+ in parts for it.
45K miles, FSH, just had service and belts. and I got all the original wheels, cd player/ airbox etc off my mate.

After pulling all the damage parts off I decided I had to have a go at fixing it. as theres no chassis damage.

here we are few weeks later, ive fitted £600 of parts, mainly second hand and £100 of fluids/consumables! and the car drives, well, faultlessly it appears.. :approve:the first test drive was saturday and TBH I was blown away by the constant acceleration which just keeps going and going!.:D Damn thing is faster than my oldskool golf gti, which i always though was rapid. Although the accelerator is quite sensitive at 5-6krpm which slighly unsettles the car every if your always on/off the throttle. Whats the deal with the kickdown on the pedal?

it had 15" alloys as you see with 195 Federal RSR's on it, and it wasnt up to much on track, not bad but doenst have the turn in capability it should have. the 205 wide exaltos Ive just put back on with the standard alloys feel good.

not too fussed about bodywork for a while, but i will get some quotes before Christmas.
M.o.t needed in 5 weeks so we'll so how that goes, got a friendly tester shouldnt be too bad at all.

The standard Stereo is rather good isnt it! still couldnt help but put some decent front speakers in and now its great.

Pics soon.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Cool. I've got lots of respect for people that do this kinda thing, if done properly.

Even if it only lives again as a track car, fair play to you.

Clio 182 Titanium
How much did it cost to bring this back from the ring?

£600 my mate sucked up all the cost before i bought it.

I remember seeing the thread on here about that car getting smashed up at the ring :( Thats some fairly hard ring sting.

Glad to see you saved it.

Have/are you going to straighten up the metal behind the wing?

Ive pulled it out with a ratchet strap attached to a concrete fence post!
had to use a trolley jack and a piece of wood to bend up the wing mounting bracket at the front because it rubbed on the wheel when going over bumps when I first test drove it .

looks like a fun project. i remember seeing the ring pictures of this crashed, what did you friend get instead?

A Ford puma! 1.7? or 1.9 something like that. bit of a costly weekend that was...

Clio 182 Titanium
Few pics of the bent bits

Bent stub axle & beam
100_0743.jpg

Bent Front Subframe
100_0726.jpg

Bent wheels x 3!
100_0721.jpg

Destroyed inner CV
100_0716.jpg

[video]http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/spcarbikeservices/?action=view&current=100_0532.mp4[/video]

e92 330i
Brilliant, love these projects, no doubt it will be a pain but defo worth it in the end right? Good luck to you buddy!

Clio 182 Titanium
Anyone know what this piece of trim is and where it goes??
100_0855.jpg100_0856.jpg

Bent track rod
100_0712.jpg
Managed to buy a silver 172 wing but it was Iceberg silver I think not titanium so still got to spray it!:dapprove:

As she stands!:)
100_0859.jpg

Clio 182 Titanium
Some bits arrived this week so put the new k&n panel filter on.:approve:
Cleaned out the inlet bend and throttle butterfly as the Old BMC carbox intake thing let too much dust through.
Fitted the powerflex dogbone bush wish was not too hard. 30mins max.
You could tell there was play in the big rear o.e.m bush. much better now.:D
fitting the alacantra a pillars and handbrake cover tomorrow, more pics then..
100_0898.jpg

100_0908.jpg

100_0896.jpg

100_0907.jpg

halfway through cleaning!
100_0909.jpg

Clio RS
nice work on saving the car from the scrapheap
first look, I think the rear quarter can be repaired and will be the cheapest way I think

e92 m3
The piece of random plastic trim fits at the base of the wind screen in the corner on the drivers side below the main piece of scuttle trim. The white bit secures it into place.

Nice work saving it!

Clio 182 Titanium
well we've put 4 or 5k miles on the car since having it.
Fitted some alacantra A pillars and handbrake surround. And an ally footrest.
just to smarten up the interior.
But now got some problems!
the gearbox has just let go... 1st and 2nd are not there anymore. I think it sustained a fair whack in the crash.
I've got a 172 box to put in.
Going to start on it tomorrow probably.
will post pics as I go. probably need some help.

Clio 182 Titanium
Thought Id post afew pics of my gearbox & clutch & ARB bush change Ive started
172 gearbox to go on

the new gearbox has a worn clutch release bearing shaft as the pic shows so Ive swapped the old one on to it.

This is the speedo drive on the 129 code gearboxes. i just remove it and filled the hole with silicone? but not blocking the drive from still spinning of course

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57427&d=1305973277

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57420&d=1305973210

Gearbox off! yey! :)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57474&d=1306057036

New clutch

Old clutch

Old vs new release bearing

New release bearing fitted and release bearing shaft swapped over due to wear.
copper slip used as lube should be ok.

I think the slop in the gearstick linkage has gone. The new box came with standard linkage wheras the previously fitted box had the aftermarket short shirt linkage. the hole was 0.2mm bigger and this translated to left /right slop in the gearstick.
There is also a plastic shim which prevents verical play at the joint which I never had before which seems to work a treat.

Golf GTD Mk7
nice work fella, keep it up :). Just a thought though. Would it not be a good idea to focus on the body work/chassis damage initially? You got any videos of the crash?

Clio 182 Titanium
Its done! PICS TO FOLLOW
Ive fitted...

172 gearbox (129 CODE) with speedo drive removed and capped with silicone sealant. WITH STANDARD LINKAGE, VERY IMPORTANT!

New clutch wasnt Valeo but it bites really well. (Torque of clutch bolts 20Nm)

Powerflex Inner and Outer Anti-roll Bar Poly bushes. (outer bush bolts 13MM HEAD , M8 x 30mm w/Nyloc buts get yourself new ones I sheared both sides)

Ive reshaped the flat hole at the top of the strut tower as when the wheel got pulled outwards in the crash the suspension rod bent the lip of the hole just under the top mount. the metal wasnt that strong so just bashed it back all straight. no more odd clicks that sometimes happened when turning the steering wheels

Dont try inner ones if subframe on car IMO. They were hard to clamp up!
Had to! de-rust and paint some bits on the Anti Roll bar. There was a suprising amount of rust under the actual bushes. I used a angle grinder w/flap disc and took the rust off.

I really struggled with removing one of the track rod ends from the hub as it kept spinning even after jacking under it. so cut the nut abit and chisseled it off only to find an odd pitch thread on the track rod and had no nuts to fit it!
bleeding the coolant system was entertaining. your best to fill the heater matrix best you can before putting hoses back on the bulkhead connectors.

Anyway the car is 100 times better than ever. I didnt know 182 gearboxes could actually be nice! I just assumed they were all s**te! have learnt that quickshift linkages are very bad!
all the slop has gone and the gears are so easy its unreal!
going out for a drive later:race:

Jonny

.I think they're two seperate things.
Chassis, then bodywork. You can drive a car hard with poor bodywork but not poor chassis.
What do you think I could do with looking at?
It drives straight, no excess tyre wear, no noises/whines.
Its had new subframe and axle.

Brand new front bumper has been sourced! hopefully with get the wing/bumper done soon.

Clio 182 Titanium
Well its been a while... 18months since last update... and time to spend some cash on the old girl.

So, I've fitted an RS192 exhaust system, the o.e.m exhaust had just about had its day, it cracked all around the silencer so had to go. Fitting wasnt too bad, noise is nice, its fairly quiet unit you cane it then it gives off a nice bit of noise but not too in your face.

Some good condition seats were then purchased and fitted as the others obviously had the airbags pop out when we had our incident at the Nurburgring.

Now I've turned my attention to the bodywork. I acquired a genuine new front bumper and have just had it sprayed in Titanium silver. I've took the damaged bumper off and swapped all the grilles/ fogs/ headlight washers over, I needed one new headlight washer as the drivers side had started leaking badly and would lose all the washer fluid in the tank in afew days. I also got a new foglight surround as I never recovered the drivers side one from the side of the Nordschliefe.

Now a week ago just before I was going to fit the bumper, 1st a van came onto my side of the road and smashed the wingmirror off, and then a day later the waterpump let go in a big way and had to be recovered by RAC as the car wouldnt hold any water at all. To be fair, it was my fault, I had heard a noise for months which sounded like a mild dephaser noise, turns out it was the water pump bearing telling me, "I'm fooked replace me." Odd since it has a new water pump 34k miles ago according to the service book. Whilst its apart, I though I'd have a play..
much more detail to come when I upload pics/videos

So this week, I've set to work on it,

Replaced mirrors
2nd hand fog light surround £10
New Renault Waterpump £38.50 bargain
New Renault Aux Belt Kit £72.00 Ebay
New Headlight washer jet £11ish
New front bumper £100ish + £120 spraying
New Wiper blades £8
New 9 L.E.D number plate lamp £4ish
New Cree 3W L.e.d reverse lights £12
Removed o.e.m inlet pipe & replaced with black ASH 70mm silicone hose + 15mm mini oil breather £20
Removed Carbon Canister - 1KG
Removed large! dead weight under top engine mount -3KG
Removed Acoustic Valve -1 KG
Sanded & polished cracked/uv degraded head lights

LOOKS LIKE ALL MY PHOTOS ARE TOO LARGE SO ILL BE BACK LATER WHEN I'VE RESIZED THEM ALL!

Clio 182 Titanium
Induction elbow install/cleaned Throttle Body
20121228_105847_zps7754ec07.jpg

20121228_105704_zpse27ae3bf.jpg

20121228_105200_zps95e1a747.jpg

20121228_110533_zpse5eeee23.jpg

Removing carbon canister
20121228_100954_zps4ba0ce97.jpg

Blanked off vacuum pipe that wnt to carbon canister, used some silicone & a bolt
20121228_100634_zps88a044f3.jpg

This is the fuel vapour pipe that runs from tank to carbon canister
20121228_095853_zps30264c74.jpg

Disconnected it here near the back or the subframe and blanked it off with a bolt, silicone & some tape
20121228_102519_zpsece89959.jpg

Tied the solenoid up out the way
20121228_104645_zpse0805515.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Titanium
anti vibration weight removal
20121228_101417_zpsad1b5392.jpg

its bolted from underneath the top engine mount
20121228_101439_zps985831c0.jpg

old damaged bumper
20121227_114300_zps0a0d894b.jpg

old bumper off and stripped
20121228_094746_zpsb56693b6.jpg

new bumper with all parts transferred and ready to fit
20121228_094731_zps6acf002a.jpg

hole in water pump from bearing collapse
20121228_094835_zpsa4e1ca17.jpg

bearings have clearly been fooked for a while, you can see where the impeller has scraped the pump body
20121228_094918_zps7f41e10a.jpg

cheers van driver
20121227_114316_zps96c17473.jpg

20121227_114310_zpsc0b96dcd.jpg

Aux belt kit ready to fit
20121228_122821_zps0a0dbaf5.jpg

headlight after sanding the crap out of it
20121219_142901_zpsebaf3197.jpg

Just waiting on the water pump to come through the post now!

Clio 182 Titanium
Cheers guys, I'll keep working on it and keep posting, here's a vid of how knackered the waterpump was.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/e8rlWE2f3bY?list=UUaF47yIo9gdekfmKaJjE0Qg[/video]

It looks like the rocker cover may have an oil leak, but it could be just from oil spilt from the oil fill hole, I've cleaned it all up and Ill keep an eye on it and see if it comes back, not sure it thats a simple inlet off then rocker off job or not.

There seems to be alot of Suffolk lads on cliosport, Im a Bury lad myself, just moved away a few years ago.

Arctic 182, GTD
Cheers guys, I'll keep working on it and keep posting, here's a vid of how knackered the waterpump was.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/e8rlWE2f3bY?list=UUaF47yIo9gdekfmKaJjE0Qg[/video]

It looks like the rocker cover may have an oil leak, but it could be just from oil spilt from the oil fill hole, I've cleaned it all up and Ill keep an eye on it and see if it comes back, not sure it thats a simple inlet off then rocker off job or not.

There seems to be alot of Suffolk lads on cliosport, Im a Bury lad myself, just moved away a few years ago.

That pump did sound abit shagged mate. Yeah there is a few of us now, ah really? Where you now then if you not living in bury?

Clio 182 Titanium
Northloop Cup - Did you speak to us?, I think I spoke to one lad who mentioned 172's, although where we crashed there was no-one about for ages and ages! its that right hander that really tightens a couple of mins into the lap.

KielT I'm based in Rugby, Warwickshire now, At the end of the A14, Cambridge direction about 95miles from Bury, Still come down every couple of weeks.

So I've finished the job.:drunk: And then drove the car 120miles back up to Manchester! :race: The car is running beautifully now, engine as quiet as an F4R can be.
I've realised all the water pumps have a little machined hole in them near the bearing, no idea what for? the new renault one did and when I cleaned the old pump up found the hole was machined and not infact punctured by bits of bearing, although it was a none genuine part, which failed at 35K miles :dapprove:

I have found one more fault though :banghead: When I went to put the top engine mount back on I could hear fluid sloshing around inside it, I though thats odd and tipped it upside down... Full of rusty water! Turns out the mount has half failed and will eventually shear clean in half? must have been like that since the Nordschliefe incident! Since even a cheap standard one is about £55?, I guess I'll be going down the Vibratechnics Fast road mount route in afew weeks.

Pics for your enjoyment

Genuine gear to fit

20121229_104306_zpsb61cf8f6.jpg

Pump hole on block! took ages to clean the old seal off correctly, you can see where the pump impeller was also hitting the block!

20121229_143652_zps57a93bae.jpg

Pump fitted, 9 bolts ~ 17Nm, after this the pulley goes on, 3 bolts ~ 20Nm

20121229_152047_zpsb413e7a1.jpg

Idler pulley fitted (32Nm I think) & spring tensioner pulley (57Nm on the 8mm hex, then 23Nm i think on the two at either end of the spring) fitted then Aux belt using hose clip trick & home made tool.

20121229_163609_zps9831d906.jpg

Home made tool, had to machine it down more as it was too big.

20121229_114909_zps5d182d72.jpg

water out of top mount!!!

20121230_091127_zps542cd064.jpg

Split to fook.

20121230_091307_zps64b8e7b7.jpg

Acoustic valve before

20121230_090937_zps507ed208.jpg

After

20121230_105751_zpsff7ae370.jpg

Vacuum hose from Acoustic valve traced back up to here on the inlet manifold, blanked off nearby, I hate long hoses that do nothing

20121230_105758_zpsaa9adade.jpg

Boom, done.

20121230_105839_zps0c642bb3.jpg

20121230_115558_zpse20b126f.jpg

Next up.... Cooksport lowering springs, out with 60mm drop Apex that are a tad harsh for me in my old age. Will fit next week or so.