ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 brakes

CLIO 197 Ultra red

hey people..

anyone out there with a 182 (or 172 for that matter) who find the brakes...odd?

the need to get them warm before they work properly in to be expected but the first few applications of brake pedal are almost useles.. theres just nothing there other than a rock hard pedal.

i also find if i brake the pedel goes down a certain amount, then if i come of the pedal and hit it again the travel is shorter and the brakes actually work.. its as if i have to double d brake if u get my meaning...

i drove a 172 cup 6 months ago and the brakes were well sharp on that and the 182 i test drove felt the same. im sure theres a problem with mine.

coments would be appriciated. cheers

Yaris Hybrid

"Double d brake"

You mean like pump them? Have you check the fluid levels? Wonder if you have air in the system? Might be worth getting the fluid replaced? This must be cheap and will prove/disprove a fair bit.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

yeah thats what i meant. best example i could think of....

fluid levels r fine. it feels like the pistons are returning to far so a longer press is required to bring them to the disk... never had a car do this before.

almost been cought out twice cos of it

Renault Laguna Coupe

They work much better when theyre warm - like most brakes, but I dont remember the brakes on my 172 being less than adequate when they were cold.

yes in the winter they need warming up to be spot on

in the summer they are spot on all the time

i noticed the difference when i drove for the first time when it was cold and raining about a month ago

Yaris Hybrid

Ive noticed that they are funny when cold (they just dont bite as well) but not so that you have to pump them or it feels like there is slack in the system. They are still perfectly good when cold unless you are flying towards a set of lights at 70 and then braking at the last minute. Normal driving they are fine.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

ive had fast road pads in almost every car ive owned so its not a warming up issue. the pedal travel varies which is the frightening thing.

i remeber the brakes being the most memorable thing from the 172cup test drive so im pretty p1ssed off im not happy with mine. think ill take into the dealer

Ive never been happy with the feel of the brakes on my 172, I even had it brake tested.... But they feel very effective to my passengers! I put it down to a lack of feedback from a drivers POV.

[Edited by Sleepy172 on 12 December 2004 at 7:54pm]

320d

The stopping power of the renaultsport clios is far superior to some very high powered cars

If youre worried get them checked out

P

peterh2

I have found them to be very good on my 182 so far. Had been out for about a 1 hour “brisk” drive on some twisty Scottish B roads earlier though and I’m sure they were starting to fade a little :( maybe it was just me braking later tho

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine were amazing at Spa, but I have a feeling its taken its toll on them. The car is in for a few bits on Wednesday so Ive asked them to check them out and replace them if need be. Ive covered 9k so far.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 12 December 2004
Mine were amazing at Spa, but I have a feeling its taken its toll on them. The car is in for a few bits on Wednesday so Ive asked them to check them out and replace them if need be. Ive covered 9k so far.

Mine too were amazing at Spa and that also took its toll ont hem for me too, mine were replaced at 12k service as the pads were cracked and crumbling at the edges from abuse. Cant complain about their performance though, have not had any brake fade from the 3 track days or normal driving.

I remember reading one of the 182 reviews, possibly evo or autocar and they commented on how good the brakes were, they said that they thought they were second only to porsche brakes! Not bad really!

182 Spiced

My 182 on a few occasions has taken a second to actually respond and start stopping the car properly. Had the brakes tested and I was told they were fine. Was also told if they havent been used for a long period of time, like in my case whilst driving on a motorway in the WET they will take time to react because they go cold. hmmm?

I think the wet driving conditions had something to do with it. Have any of you had probs in the wet? (9k on the clock)

dk

911 GTS Cab

no mate but I do work my brakes pretty hard most of the time so they get warm pretty quickly.

182 Spiced

Cheers. Looks as though ill have to warm the brakes before I worry about the tyres when driving :)

- thatll be fun on norm. roads, but slightly problematic on the motorway in the wet...but ill give it a go...! Saying that, it has only been on long journeys, and I havent seen it again - not had the chance. But its prob. one of those Renault things - ahhh such a warming feeling at Xmas. :)