ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Brake Pads

Clio 197

Hi guys/gals,

When I just got my 182 in April, it rained quite a bit a week or so later.... I remember almost slamming into the back of another car, because the brakes were rubbish in the wet! This continued in heavy rain. The car was relatively new, so dont know if it needed a bit more bedding in....

I have driven all sorts of cars/motorcycles in my time, and do about 35k a year... NEVER have I had a problem braking in the wet. Is there a problem with my braking system, or is the clio rubbush in the wet?

If the clio "is" rubbish in the wet, which pads will sort it for me (suitable for road use of course)...

er i dont think the pads or brakes for that matter are affected by the rain, its more than likely just the fact that your brakes werent bedded in

Ford Fiesta

also remeber discs all round, prob worse than drums in the fact they are affected more by water.

mines getting dirty already, dam this british summer!

Clio 197

Hmm.. thinking about it... Got a spanking new A3 1.8T (52), first ever journey was 500 miles in torrential rain, and had no problems in the wet...

Two spanking new company vectras (53), no probs in the wet...
Company toyota avensis (X)... no probs...
PUG 206 Gti (W), no probs in wet/mud (whatever I drove thru, it stopped!).
Clio 1.2 (N), no probs.
Vespa ET2 (Y) no probs.
Kwaki ZXR (Y) no probs.

Summits up with my 182 me-thinks... Dry is great... wet takes a while to kick in... but seconds do make a difference...

Clio 197

I did think that... but did not feel ABS kick in... although it is quite smoothe on the 182, you can still tell when its on... plus Exalto II is "THE" wet tyre...

Considering EBC pads, apparently you can get some which dont produce much dust...

Could it be the brakes are so good that you forget it takes a while for them to kick in?

Pads wouldnt help in the wet its down to the tyres.

Id see about getting the fluid check for air pockets.

Have a try on an empty back road see if it was just a one one and the ABS did kick in and you didnt know.

Ultra Red Megane R26

Had my 182 for 1 1/2 weeks now and the brakes were rubbish to begin with. Now theyre superb!

My brakes are fine in the dry, i do find that in the wet they tend to be rubbish, almost as though you been through a massive puddle, that is not good.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 22 June 2004

Could it be the brakes are so good that you forget it takes a while for them to kick in?

Pads wouldnt help in the wet its down to the tyres.

Id see about getting the fluid check for air pockets.

Have a try on an empty back road see if it was just a one one and the ABS did kick in and you didnt know.

Different pads have different charicterstics in the wet. Though if you meant, 182 to pads should make no difference, then i agree as OE parts should work the same in all weather conditions so Mrs. Smith feels safe at all times.

-Rob

Clio 197

Been out today.. in the rain, bout 100 miles in country lanes...

Erm... brakes were better than when new, BUT DEFINATELY LOST BITE IN THE WET...

That is very very poor in my opinion... Not experienced before... not even on my mountain bike!

Sorry guys... first the rattling... then the depreciation... poor wet brakes... not buying ever again.

Selling as soon as I can catch up with the negative equity on my finance.... or instantly if someone offers me decent money (anyone interested?).

dk

911 GTS Cab

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes in the wet, was bucketing it down this morning on my way to work and I worked them damn hard including esp and traction control and it all worked a treat.

In all the reviews they compliment the brakes on the 182 saying they are one of the best features and some even say they are second only to a porsche with no faid.

That to me says that they must be pretty good and I cant fault mine so maybe get yours looked at. Not just say you are going to sell it without first checking them out. If you were to sell a car as soon as something just didnt feel right you would never have a car long enough to run it in.

Clio 197

See what you mean dave... getting it looked at week after next... brakes arent the main reason for considering sale, but one of the little niggles... main reason is need for space & less rattle & less noise on motorway (my faut for not thinking of that in the first place!)...

Lovely to drive... never had such good drive from any car, and I have had cars worth twice as much in the past.

Maybe its my age?

dk

911 GTS Cab

to be honest i dont notice the noise and i do a lot of motorway driving, i do however haver my stereo on 16 all the time so it maybe drowns the noise out.