ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182......anygood?

Vecta 2.2i SRI 55
As from my other threads im looking for new car, got 1.4 dynamique + at the mo and want faster hatch but new and low mileage!
Took a st 170 out and a mini cooper S yesterday,, out of the two the cooper S kicked its ass, so responsive cos of the supercharger and build quality is much better!
anyway as i was driving home i saw a 54 plate 182 for sale for £8895 with 19k miles, booked it in for test drive this fri.....
so is it worth getting? My current clio has loads probs with no starting in cold, overheating problems and misfires. This sound similar to 182 owners?
Is it worth the money when its the same as mine with a different engine or save up for cooper S
Advice please

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd get the mini, as much as i love the 172, it's better to drive etc, the stress of it feeling like it could fall to peices any second is not worth it.

BMW M3
My 182 has been very reliable. Although the mini would tempt me on quality. Just so expensive and less practical.

Vecta 2.2i SRI 55
mini s is the strongest car on depreation, 55 plate brand new are 15k and you go to any mini dealership and now with about 20k miles are still going for around 14,495, 2nd car dealerships are selling for about 13k so not a huge drop in depreation

182 Cup Inferno
182 defo, minis are for gays and hairdressers. touch wod, have had no trouble with mine so far, its so fun to drive, and everyone looks at you (well with mine they do anyway!)

197-I love!!!
But the 182-I've never had any problems with mine and I've had it for nearly two and a half years.

Breaking A 172 Replica

Looks way better and will cost less to run and service.

With regard to depreciation whilst mini's might depreciate less over any given period in percentage terms, in nominal terms they will still depreciate more.

Sam

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I was thinking of getting a Cooper S but ended up with a 172 in the end. Don't get me wrong the Cooper S is a great car but I couldn't justify getting one over the Clio.

My reasons were:

1. Price - a Mini for a given year is at least 4k more expensive and probably has more miles on the clock.

2. Specification - Leather interior, aircon, xenons, cd player etc are all options in the Mini.

3. Practicality - The Mini's boot is ridiculously small, has only 4 seats vs Clio's 5, speedo in middle of dash (much better if its got sat nav then speedo is in usual position).

4. Performance & Handling - Hard to tell difference in straight line but Clio owns it in the bends, ride is very harsh on its 17" rims and runflats.

Having said all that the Cooper S is a good car especially when you hear the supercharger in action and it's also probably better for motorway driving due to its engines greater torque. Build quality is better than the Renault and if you get one with the balance of TLC package you get free servicing. The Cooper S is easier to tune than the 172/182 also, 300bhp is possibile with the right mods.

Elise 111R
Ah I can help on this, owning a Cooper S till a few months ago I know a thing or two :(

Right the pro's

Kicks the 182 arse on acceleration that supercharger keeps up with super cars up to 30 and the precession you feel when your in second gear is amazing at 40 – 50 (Polarbert should testify to that ;))

Build quality is great

Sound is brilliant with JCW exhaust

Servicing cost are great if you have the servicing package (offered when new)

Mods are plentiful (if you got the dosh)

Clubs are great fun esp in the summer and the MINI events are mega (well the first time you go to them)

Depreciation is amazing, truly brilliant (if you don’t mod)

Lastly I feel like a bloody king of chav’s in my 182, I get kids in 1.2’s going wow….. one day I’ll own one of those (not cool) and not nice (summer time) girlys :( in the S it was the other way round as u get the impression that its an older guys car… I feel about 17 when I drive the clio but in the mini you feel a lot older and have a bit more respect?

Con’s

Handling on motorway isn’t great and cornering hard isn’t as good as the clio

I went through 2 idle gears/ clutch bearings in my 2 years ownership (one rebuild)

Early cars suffered electrical faults like the electric windows that go up and down when you open the door broke on mine 4 times and left my MINI soaked as it didn’t want to shut if wet……

Petrol can slowly kill you, I get 30 – 31 in my 182 when bumbling along, in the S I was getting 26 – 27 and a lot lower if I headed to the country side…

Heavy run flats gave a horrid ride with S suspension

Early S’s suffered problems with the xeons going….

Also my trips into London left it rather hot under the bonnet, so a larger intercooler would be recommended (needed if going to be driven hard)

I prefer the Clio as it’s does everything I want of it and never feels thou its going to break.

You see a lot more on the road being driven by people the same age as my dad so the image isn’t always that cool

Sorry if I’ve gone on

To summarise I would get a Clio if your not bothered about image, get a MINI if you are.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Ah I can help on this, owning a Cooper S till a few months ago I know a thing or two :(

Right the pro's

Kicks the 182 arse on acceleration that supercharger keeps up with super cars up to 30 and the precession you feel when your in second gear is amazing at 40 – 50 (Polarbert should testify to that ;))

Build quality is great

Clubs are great fun esp in the summer and the MINI events are mega (well the first time you go to them)

Lastly I feel like a bloody king of chav’s in my 182, I get kids in 1.2’s going wow….. one day I’ll own one of those (not cool) and not nice (summer time) girlys :( in the S it was the other way round as u get the impression that its an older guys car… I feel about 17 when I drive the clio but in the mini you feel a lot older and have a bit more respect?

Con’s

I went through 2 idle gears/ clutch bearings in my 2 years ownership (one rebuild)

Early cars suffered electrical faults like the electric windows that go up and down when you open the door broke on mine 4 times and left my MINI soaked as it didn’t want to shut if wet……

Petrol can slowly kill you, I get 30 – 31 in my 182 when bumbling along, in the S I was getting 26 – 27 and a lot lower if I headed to the country side…

Also my trips into London left it rather hot under the bonnet, so a larger intercooler would be recommended (needed if going to be driven hard)

I prefer the Clio as it’s does everything I want of it and never feels thou its going to break.

You see a lot more on the road being driven by people the same age as my dad so the image isn’t always that cool

Sorry if I’ve gone on

To summarise I would get a Clio if your not bothered about image, get a MINI if you are.

lol driving a cooper S u should feel like a woman!!! majority are female owners

Elise 111R

Right the pro's

Build quality is great

Con’s

Sorry if I’ve gone on

lol driving a cooper S u should feel like a woman!!! majority are female owners

:rasp: my girlfriend says im in touch with my feminine side THATS ALL ;) (saying that she wants a MINI cab) LOL

Seat Leon Cupra 290
to someone who just posted, the speedo digital readout can be put on the rev limiter in front of the wheel so you dont have to look over

MINI JCW
I own both and would say overall the MINI is the better car.

The 182 is def faster and is far more raw, where as the MINI is a little more civilised. Also the fuel economy is crap on the MINI if you get 250 to a tank you will do well, where as the 182 should do 300-325 no probs. Worth thinking if you are doing loads of miles.

Elise 111R
I own both and would say overall the MINI is the better car.

The 182 is def faster and is far more raw, where as the MINI is a little more civilised. Also the fuel economy is crap on the MINI if you get 250 to a tank you will do well, where as the 182 should do 300-325 no probs. Worth thinking if you are doing loads of miles.

thats a much better way of putting it :D

Ford Racing Puma
That 182 seems overpriced too... mine is on for £8k and is a minter!!

I loved the car, and also considered a mini.

The 182 is 'edge of the seat' and visceral. Such a revvy engine and awesome tripod antics round corners.

The mini is quick and classy - but, dare I say it, common and cliched??

The only gripe I had with the 182 is how expensive it is to tune, plus the gear change / massive steering wheel aren't too hot!!

Mk4 .:R32
One of my mates bought a cooper s about 4 months ago and has spent about 3 grand on it. It's at about 225bhp and he says it's stupidly fast. He's had a few problems due to the mods he has made and had to make 800 mile round trip to a garage down south to sort it.

Cooper s will beat the 182 in terms of speed, but you would get more value for money with a 182 as they are about 3 grand cheaper for the same reg.

p.s. the lad that bought the cooper s gets ripped for having a girls car

audi a6 3.0tdi
in standard form the cooper s handles better and is just as quick also it is better built and feels higher quality. i presume parts and servicing will be more expensive unless it has that 5 year tlc pack or what ever it is called. i like my car but would probably swap for the mini if i got the chance. plus clios are just as gay people on here just don't want to admit it

Shed.
being stubborn and having an obsession with clios' id go for the 182. but all in all the cooper is better.

but id still go with the 182. PERIOD>>>>! driving experience is better.

MINI Cooper S
Maybe im biased because i work for Mini, but you should really drive the new Cooper S (turbo) its spot on, extremely rapid, steering is very direct and the whole car feels completely solid. Handling is superior to any other hatch ive experienced. Yes Minis are more expensive but you get what you pay for, quality, cheap servicing (TLC pack) fantastic build quality, good mpg (40 mpg on turbo!!!!) and good residuals so you get a good chunk of your money back when u get rid of it. Any more details needed just pm me, and if youre in Chesterfield at a weekend come down and ill take u for a spin :)

FF Blackgold 182
My 182 has been reliable so far. Yeah sure, there are rattles developing, but that is part of the charm. I know which one I'd rather have!! It always puts a smile on my face when I boot it too!:D

Better than yours. C*nt.
Did someone up there say buy the Mini if you're after image... Excuse me???! The classy girls I've met recently have all hated the new Minis for being something they're not (a Mini) and they all love my Clio...

But yeah, buy the Mini - anyone with any taste at all will hate you.

Clio 172 mk2
I don't see how the Renaults image is that bad so long as you don't modify them stupidly.

I know the Mini is a great car but I feel the image of those isn't great either.....most of the ones I see round my neck of the woods are owned and driven by female estate agents etc with lots of crap graphics on.....definately not cool.

Elise 111R
All i was saying that people now comment on oh a clio and then i have to explain what it is etc etc (not cool) and they still go away thinking toy car...

Not that i care but i did feel better in the S?

I would agree that the new MINI is very nice indeed, although at nearly 19 k + once you've put a few (essential) options on it, it becomes rather expensive for what it is.... Those larger arches make std wheel look naff and the poor redesigned rear arching windows look cheap compared to the old MINI..

Question I would love to ask is how the depreciation is going to hit new owners all new S owners have spent round the 20k mark.... how far will that drop when they hand it back in. The old shape could be nicely spec'd at 18k i.e. chilli packs, chrome package etc so the hit going down wasnt that far but wonder if these new MINI will reappear on forecourts at 17 - 18 k after a years ownership?

LY V6 with Recaros
I think the minis are a bit girly...had my 182 for a year and a half now and never had any problems with it.

Shed.
That 182 seems overpriced too... mine is on for £8k and is a minter!!

I loved the car, and also considered a mini.

The 182 is 'edge of the seat' and visceral. Such a revvy engine and awesome tripod antics round corners.

The mini is quick and classy - but, dare I say it, common and cliched??

The only gripe I had with the 182 is how expensive it is to tune, plus the gear change / massive steering wheel aren't too hot!!

Yeah ill be getting hold of a momo when i buy a 172. Gears are just standard arent they ?