ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 alternator removal advise

2005 Clio 182
Hi, I need to replace the alternator in my 2005 Clio 182, I can get it recon at a firm near my house, It looks a heck of a job tho, Can someone advise what procedure to remove and replace please?:S

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
brief as im on my phone. front end off. engine mount of aux belt off unbolt alternator its a 3 hour job.

Lionel Richie
hardest bit is doing the aux belt tensioner, wouldn't even attempt it without the right serpentine tool

bumper off - 2 x T20 torx, 4 x platic buttons on arch liners, 4 x 10mm bolts, 2 grille clips
slam pannel off - 6 x 13mm bolts, 2 x 10mm nuts
upper engine mount off - 7 x 16mm bolts
jack up engine
upper 13mm bolt for alt off
slacken 16mm lower alt bolt
swing alt forward
remove belt with serp tool
alt off

put back together LOL

2005 Clio 182
Thanks for the replies, I had not heard of `serpentine tool` until I googled it, Are the examples available cheaply on fleabay capable of the task, Or is it a challenging DIY task.

LY R26 #288
I used a 1/2" ratched with a 3/8" adapter on it. Was a squeeze. I'd definately get the tool though. I was stuck and had to use my method.

2005 Clio 182
I have seen prices for the tool from £10 to £177!! Is there a specific one for the Clio,Sorry for my ignorance.

FF clio 182 e46 vert
Ok this is not as gruelling as everyone is making out...
The best way I found to do this was ......
1. Disconnect battery positive & negative
2. remove plastic grill (unclip lugs behind )
3. Remove 5 x13mm bolts from slam panel 4 at the top 1 just in front of air con rad,
4 remove 2x 10mm bolts to free bonnet catch (slam panel now free)
The alternator is now more accessible.
5. Undo the positive 13mm nut to the alternator/ unplug connector
6. Now I used 70-90mm jubilee clip and it held fine, place clip around the top and bottom of the spring tighten until it's just holding careful not to over tighten!
7. Unbolt alternator top bolt 13mm pull top of the alternator towards you the belt should slacken enough to remove it from the pulley then do the same for the bottom 16mm bolt undo and remove alternator will now pull free, ease it out carefully as the air on pipes will foul slightly. Anymore info pm !

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Bumping up a old post/thread but I just want to add that the last post/post above is the perfect way to get the alternator out on a 172/182 with air con.

I did it recently and this worked well. I did remove the engine bolts and jack up the engine/sump to get more access, but upon refitting, I didnt bother. Its tight, but moveable.

I'd also recommend pushing the metal sleeve in place. It makes fitting the alternator into its lower position a lot easier. I used a socket and vice, but im sure a tap with a hammer and drift would work also.

20190920_190828.jpg
20190923_173017.jpg

Last edited: