ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Alloy Refurb Issue

Corolla T-Sport
Thought it would be a good idea to refurb my 182 alloys in time for summer. Only two need doing and I didn't fancy splashing out £100+ for them to be professionally done. In an ideal world I wanted all four to be bmws sparkling graphite, however funds and the fact two are in great condition put me off the idea. So I thought a DIY refurb on the two would be a good idea. I cleaned then sanded down the areas of curb rash and scabbing also keyed the areas which weren't.
I then bought some primer from halfords and gave them three coats. Some areas will need re sanding and priming which are clear to see now. However I can't find a rattle can paint code for the anthracite colour? I am now concerned I can't get a matching paint code and will have to do all four.
Has anyone got a paintcode for a rattle can, or have any advice where or how to find one?
The pics below are before primer and after one layer.
IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Good effort so far. A decent paint shop/accident repair shop can colour match and mix up a few litre for you. If you don't have a compressor and have to do a rattle can job then spray all four. Cans will never make the same effect as the original paint

Corolla T-Sport
Good effort so far. A decent paint shop/accident repair shop can colour match and mix up a few litre for you. If you don't have a compressor and have to do a rattle can job then spray all four. Cans will never make the same effect as the original paint

Nice one, cheers mate. Will I need to take an alloy for a comparison or will they use the code 'Ixell paint 205-110'? I do have a compressed with the attachment, just never used it before, however if it's cheaper in the long run and gives a better finish I may as well use it.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
or rotate your wheels so you have the newly painted ones on one side of the car, that way it wont be obvious if the colour is out.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Never seen an official paint code that didn't come out a different shade but fingers crossed and let us know how it turns out

Corolla T-Sport
Considering I had never used a compressor to paint before I played safe and went for rattle cans. The finish won't be perfect, but hey it's my first time, got to start somewhere. I've just applied a final coat of colour, attached is a pic of them drying. The colour is BMW sparkling graphite, should look good against a blue clio. My next question is, what lacquer do I use? Will ordinary lacquer withstand the wear and tear of alloys? Halfrauds do some heavy duty stuff but it seems to have poor reviews..
IMG_2608.jpg