ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

18 years old with a modded 182 :D.

RB 182 Cup
Hi all,

A few months back I purchased myself a 182 with a K-tech supersports exhaust and piper cross air filter, fully knowing that I was going to pay a bomb on insurance. It's coming up to the time to insure her as my 1 years NCD arrives on Christmas eve and I've been trying to find the best quote I can. At the time of purchase I had rough quotes of £3500 fully comp and £3200 third party and I was fully prepared to pay that. So recently I decided to do a bit of investigating, and to my pleasant surprise I managed to squeeze a quote from elephant of £1970 fully comp (1 yr NCD with my nan and mum as additional drivers :D).

So I was wondering, are there any other 18 year olds out there that have managed to get anything better? Perhaps through independent insurers? Don't get me wrong I'm really happy with the quote I have at the moment but if there's any other chance of saving money I'll jump at it :D.

Thanks in advance,

Liam.

Last edited:
  RS6 C7
I think you will struggle to beat that at 18, Most independents require you to be 21+

Brentacre might cover you and are worth a try, Mention you are from the forum.

RB 182 Cup
@dan

Thanks for the advise, I'll defiantly give them a go.

@ sparky

Seems like a nice quote you got there. That 1 year gap must make a big difference. A mate at work had a Seat Leon Cupra (180 bhp). He was 19 like you and I remember when his 1 years NCD came up he was happy that it was around £1500 IIRC.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
question for all you young drivers. How do 1*2's compare to say a 1.1 206 for insurance for someone that's under 20. It's just that some of the quotes above surprise me at now low they are (£1200 for a 19 year old on a 172 for example).

I'd have expected a 18/19 year old with 1*2 to struggle to

a, find someone to quote them
b, then find a quote under £4k.

I thought car insurance for someone under 21 was still astronomical.

320d
I had a 172 at 19. Not a bad car for that age. I don't see why 1*2's are expensive to insure. They're idiot proof (awaits crashed my 182 thread from myself...)

Westfield, 182, 200
My 18 year old has a 1.2 clio 2004 model. He paid £3200 fully. Comp with me and the wife as named drivers.

Couldn't get him insured on the 182. We live in solihull but have a Birmingham post code, seems to be the going rate around here!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I was looking at 1500-1700 roughly on my 1.2 16v clio which made up my mind, bought the 172 as it was around 2000 at 19 with no ncb.

Wasnt paying about 1500 for a 1.2 when i could get a 172 for 2000.

Im 20 now with 1 year ncb and with my mrs on it and some mods im down to 1400.

1.2 8V Clio for me £2500 to start me off, had a bump, lost all my no claims, next renewal was £2500 again (19 this point), then it went down to £1300 when I hit 20.

Sh*t.

Now a 1.4 Astra £1200 Fully comp 2 NCB and 21.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I paid £2200 on a EP3 Civic Type-R at 18, looking back I must have been mental but when you have nothing else to worry about I guess it doesn't really matter lol! Paid £308 this year for my 182 at 24 which I still moaned about.

Clio 172
Either you lot at 18-19 with low quotes are lying or you have got excesses of 2000 with loads of oaps on as named drivers or aren't telling the insurance the truth. My son is 24 and his cheapest quote was 3000 on a 172 in a good area and it didn't make a difference with me on it at 42.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
Either you lot at 18-19 with low quotes are lying or you have got excesses of 2000 with loads of oaps on as named drivers or aren't telling the insurance the truth. My son is 24 and his cheapest quote was 3000 on a 172 in a good area and it didn't make a difference with me on it at 42.

I'm 25 with 8 years ncb and pay 300 on a 197. Good area aswell.

Clio

For Me (19) and My girlfriend (22) insurance on a 182 is £1200ish with 1year ncb in an average area, with a £500 excess (yes i know rather high) and i can assure you that there is no lying to the insurance involved and we have no other drivers on the car (adding my 49 year old dad actually makes the insurance more expensive!)

Sport 172 flame Red

Mine is completely genuine insured my mk5 golf 1.6 fsi se with admiral at £1600 to start with then the year after it was £889 fully comp in my name with my parents as named drivers. Then i got the 172 and it went up to £1200, my excess is just over 1k but that doesn't bother me as the benefits of having a much higher excess price is worth the risk.

In may it should go down even more with my renewal in and having 2 years no claims, I will then lower my excess gradually to a suitable amount.

I live in a quiet small town so I guess my postcode helps alot

Last edited:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Only young drivers quoted me £1553 fully comp for a 172 Cup. 1 Year NCB driving for 2 years. 19. They ask a seriies of questions over the phone, e.g. How would you react to receiving a text whilst driving, and base your quote on your answers. I'd recommend them as everyone else was quoting me silly money.... 2800 and beyond

excess is 1000 though, and got my mum as an additional driver. LOL

wow some wildly different quotes here ! quite interesting though
Im 22 with 2 years no claims driving 5 years without a bump, 04 182 with ALL mods declared like a good boy should ,
Im the main driver and have my mum and dad on named as they use it sometimes as its at the front of the drive lol
HIC quote me £ 840 full comp with 400 excess average area .
Quite happy reading some of the quotes

RS6 C7
I just paid £875 at 20 years old, 1 year no claims, business use with 15k miles on a brand new Audi A3 s tronic 180BHP. Fully comp.

182 Trophy can be insured for around £1150.

Seems daft that it's more to insure a car worth 10x less than my A3:S

RS 182
21yrs old, no NCB, missus is 21yrs old, no NCB
both insured on a 2004 182 (i'm the main, she's a named driver) for something like £600
excess is less than £300 for voluntary and compulsary together.

Were insured through admiral, who give 'named driver NCB' aslong as you renew with them, so this will be our third year with them.