ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172cup, what's going on?

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
Had the 172cup for just over a month now and one or two things I've noticed.

When I accelerate hard, say from 20mph I can feel the car sort of squirm around. At first, I thought this was torque steer but now I'm not so sure.
It almost feels like I'm driving on a slippery surface !?!?

It aint the tyres because it's got 4 brand new F1 Eagles on.

It does the exact same thing when braking from high speed.

Basically, it just feels unstable and like the thing is trying to kill me!

Do they all do this or would you get it checked?

Also, I'm not mechanically minded so probs wouldn't be able to check anything myself - unless it's dead simple!

Any help appreciated guys.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Hard to say from your description mate, it needs a good check over! One thing i would do is have the wheel alignment checked, i had a valver and it was miles out, everytime you touched a pebble in the road it felt like you were going over the hedge!

172 A Cupwork Orange™
iv a 03 cup and its exactly like yours feels like dancing on ice when flooring it, iv since learned not to floor it in first, braking hard is kinda the same also, mate its a cup get over it :rasp:

if you brake gently is it ok ?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Check your tyre pressures. I run 31F 29R.

If the road surface is uneven this is common.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Also, check there is no play in the steering rack, or get it checked, mine had a rack at about 50K, similiar symptoms!

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
iv a 03 cup and its exactly like yours feels like dancing on ice when flooring it, iv since learned not to floor it in first, braking hard is kinda the same also, mate its a cup get over it :rasp:

if you brake gently is it ok ?

Yeah mate, sounds like yours is the same. Like the wheels won't stay straight! lol!

Braking gently is fine it's hard braking that does it but I was going really fast as well.

Cheers.

Clio 172 Cup
My cup will squrm if i redline it in every gear but i would have thought that to be expected!

Its all part of the fun!:evil:

172 A Cupwork Orange™
as above i would check your tyre pressures make sure they are 33F 30R, othere than that if your still worried just get a garage to check your stearing rack as mentioned above just to be on the safe side

172 A Cupwork Orange™
My cup will squrm if i redline it in every gear but i would have thought that to be expected!

Its all part of the fun!:evil:

When i first got mine i was like, err this is not right something wrong with it, i have now come to terms with it and love it :D

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i don't know if its something to do with tyre walls but since i put the conti's on its been alot better......

arctic 182 ff
same here had mine 5 months now at first i thought it was flighty,as im in the motor trade ive checked the rack ok,had the alignment done and its no different,new brakes were fitted just before i bought the car,tyres ok ect ect,just adjusted to the way the car is FUN !

they do seem to move around a fair bit but when you say 'brand new', have you run your tyres in yet? (as they'll be slippery until they've got a couple of hundred miles under them)

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
slighty off topic, but can i see some pics of your jordan?

Thanks for the replies...

Here's one......

013.jpg
[/IMG]

Ph2 172 Cup
I wouldn't say my cup experienced this at all. However my previous car was a 90s Fiesta RS Turbo - now that was (fun) hard work to drive!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Could be anything tbh. Deffo check rear shocks as when i had one fail it felt like it was going to kill me!!!! Also as SBV116 said, i also had a new rack (my old car) as everytime i ran over an imperfection/grid in the road, it also felt like it was going to bite.... big time lol. New rack was needed lol. Lucky i had warrenty, as iirc the part WITHOUT labour was £400 notes

What width are the tyres that are currently fitted? I had similar issues as you've described and it turned out the 215/40's sized tyres were the problem. Once I went back to the 195/45 size it felt alot more stable when accelerating hard.

My 182Cup also does this a fair bit. I had a mate following me around Rockingham, and he laughed that the Clio was squirming around all over the place under braking. It will also follow cambers & ruts, and torque steer quite a bit. It's just the way they are TBH :)

Megane Trophy, Golf
My 182Cup also does this a fair bit. I had a mate following me around Rockingham, and he laughed that the Clio was squirming around all over the place under braking. It will also follow cambers & ruts, and torque steer quite a bit. It's just the way they are TBH :)

Mine was like this til I got new track rod ends and discs and pads ;)

C

Cupster

Is this the first set of F1's you have had? I tried a set and the first thing I notice is the back was much more lively! i.e. it felt as though the rear tyres had huge sidewalls and it was wallowing around in corners. pressures 32F 30R, Nitrogen filled aswell!!

Now back to Conti Sports (air filled) and all seems fine, although the front grip does not feel as good.

I advise F1's front on 31/32 pressure, contis rear 29/30 pressure. Forget the N02 tbh!

Edit: Never tried Exalto's so can't comment on them

going round roundabouts and tight corners can always get outside wheels to spin in 3rd, remeber they are rather torquey little engines and with no traction control then its gunna spin isnt it.

are u canning it from 20mph? or just normal allecration

only thing that could be stuffed on the track rods would be the ball joints, and you should here a fant knock from steering the car if it was a ball jpoint on its way out

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
going round roundabouts and tight corners can always get outside wheels to spin in 3rd, remeber they are rather torquey little engines and with no traction control then its gunna spin isnt it.

are u canning it from 20mph? or just normal allecration

something wrong with yours if its spinning the insidewheel in 3rd exiting corners, i can put 160lb/ft thru the front wheels no problem in 2nd gear