ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't start

Iceberg Clio 172
My clio has decided it doesn't want to start. It turns over but won't fire. This morning for example, I drove home from misses' house, drove to work then went to start it to go and get tyres now it won't start. It just turns and turns and turns but won't fire.

Suggestions anybody?!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I thought it would do otherwise it wouldn't allow the engine to crank but had to ask.

Assuming the fuel pump is priming at key-on? These cars are getting on a bit now and they've always had issues with the in tank fuel pressure reg but just trying to rule a few bits out.

Clio 182
I had same problem but I believe it only cranked for so long before stopping so not sure whether yours is the same or whether it just keeps cranking. If it is the same then my problem ended up being with a cable that runs from the ECU to a connection down by the fuse box on the front right of the bay. Its a twisted cable that runs underneath the airbox. Do a search on here and you'll see what colours the wires are because I can't remember now. Get a tester on the cables to see if their is some resistance, from memory there was very little resistance on the troublesome wires but it was enough to cause a problem.

Good luck with it

PH2 Flamer
My mates 172 game his the same issues, I removed the crank sensor, have it a clean, and it's been fine since.

Try this, as it's free.

Megane RS250
I've had this issue, when flogging it it would cut out and high revs and you would have to leave it for a while.. sometimes it just wouldn't start.
I had it ran on diagnostics 4 times with no errors so I've replaced the fuel pump (what we deduced was the issue) and stuck some high end injector cleaner through it.. back to 110%.
She,s getting a service to be on the safe side as well.

Iceberg Clio 172
Thanks for the advice, will catch up with my mechanic mate tomorrow and try all of the above!!

It started eventually today and I managed to get tyres and get home. Haven't tried it since!!