ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won’t start first time

On a few occasions my 172 Mk2 wont start first time, but will usually start on the second attempt.
I always make sure I wait until the dash lights go out until I turn the key to the starter position.

I know a few people have had this problem, but has anybody had it sucessfully fixed so that it will always start first time?

Chris.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I had this problem last month and took it to the dealer and they admitted they had a batch of faulty batteries.

They replaced it under warranty and that was that.

Make sure they dont try to sting you with a bill coz there £80..

Hope this helps.Ive had no probs since.

Regards,ian..

Ian, thanks for the info, but I dont think its the battery in my case as you can hear the engine happily turning over, it just wont fire.

Chris.

dont be fooled by thinking its not the battery cos the engine is turning, the battery powers a lot of other things that are needed to start, when I changed my last battery, the engine was turning freely, lights etc worked, but no charge etc...give the battery a try..

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Thats exactly what mine used to do,on second turn it would fire up no probs,its got to be worth a look.

Regards,ian

Renault Laguna Coupe

This is a really common problem - there have been a few threads in the past. As long as it starts at the second attempt it seems to be one of those 172 features. Shouldnt take more than 2 goes though.

VW Potato

mines the same - i think its a temp sensor thats wooky. If its very cold, the car starts no probs. If its hot, it starts fine, but when its in the in between stage, i feel it doesnt know whether to do a cold start or warm start - so it does neither and fails to start. I turn the key again, and it starts. (im not technical so my theory may be wrong)

g

Lee

BMW M2C

Ive found exactly the same as Scudetto. Its warm starts it doesnt like. It always starts second time though.

172, Tiguan

Mine did this when i was in France, always started second time, but since back in the UK its been fine. I put it down to the fuel.

Scudetto, I recon thats it. Take this morning for instance, took the car out of the garage, started first time. After about 3 miles stopped at a petrol station. On the first attempt at starting, the engine was just turning over but wouldnt fire. Second attempt it fired straight away. Now even though the water temp guage was showing half way I imagine the engine wouldnt have been upto normal running temp after only 3 miles.
When Ive been stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway (engine at running temp) and switched the engine off, it always starts first time.

Chris.

VW Potato

ah, thats a separate problem mate. thats because on the start at the petrol station, the car knows it is still cold so I think it tries to put a cold start cycle on top of the original cold start cycle (ie when you started it from your garage), there by enriching the mixture too much. This will happen on most modern cars. this also explains why you dont have the same problem on the motorway - it knows its not cold anymore, so starts with no enrichment and hence easily. Erm, I think!

g

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

its because of the fuel system it has no return line.

dont worry

clio sport mk1 golf

get a chloe

she always starts

unless you go to disney land paris for a few days and leave your lights on in the air port car park!!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

mine used to do this all the time, took 2 or 3 times to start, took it in to Renault Liverpool they said it was a sensor on the fly weel, they played about with it, and now it has started 95% of the time ever since.

2012 WRX Waggon

since the weather has got abit cooler mine starts first time every time.

through summer 50% of the time it started second attempt from cold.

Clio 172 Ph2

Ooooh mine did this too.

Infact, it had done it ever since I had my Dastek chip fitted.

Then one day, I disconnected the battery and left it for a few hours (I believe this is normal in order to reset the ECU?) - now it starts fine everytime.

Weird!

i know i only have a 1.2, but mine wouldnt start 1st most of the time. It went back to renault after it started affecting the rev counter and windows & it was put down to the ecu

With mine it will not start first time but wil always start second time. i think on mine its an immobiliser trait. If I turn to position 2, wait 3 secs, then turn, it always starts first time.

Have you tried that?

Pugboy

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Also had this problem, but it always start the 2nd time, and it only happens once in a blue moon so it hasnt bothered me.

Ps. It doesnt matter how long you crank the engine for when it happens, I cranked the engine for about 10-15 seconds and it didnt start. stopped turning it and immediatly tried again and it started fine, really weird one.

Hello,

Im from Mexico and I have the same problem since NEW.. its weird... Renault Dealer cant find what happen, they change the fuel pump and check the fuel line and its presure but the problem continues...

If you put the key in the position one before to start, wait, return to the radio position and then again to the last before start and start... it start always... but it doesnt solve the problem, its only a patch jajaja

So Im looking for information around the world by internet but I cant find anything...

I think that is a sensor too, someone tell me that is PMS(Punto Muerto Superior) but in english I dont know the name.. something like "Superior Dead Point" It sensor fails when is wet... but can be another sensor like oxigen or something.... or is the gas line...

Lets go to try this and help us each other...

I will put information is I solve it... please do the same!

Here is mi Post, is under "Clio Discussion - http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=58196&PagePosition=1Problem with cold start!! "

Thanks