ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs. standard cooper s (r50)

Focus ST
Mams boyfriend has a charged one (some are turbo'd iirc?)

Can't get away from me...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Clio 172's bhp per ton > 163.11

Min Cooper S's > 143.50

The Cooper is a little heavier than the 172 but still bvery capable all the same.

I like them but i prefer my 172

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol noobs, the new new mini is turbo'd

did you think the s stood for supercharged ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Mini Cooper S (S/charger) > 1140kg's

Mini Cooper S <T/Charger) > 1130kg's

The new Peugeot 207 GTi shares the same Turbo unit from the Cooper S btw, a much heavier car though

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Mini Cooper S (S/charger) > 1140kg's

Mini Cooper S <T/Charger) > 1130kg's

The new Peugeot 207 GTi shares the same Turbo unit from the Cooper S btw, a much heavier car though
And the pug only has 5spd box.

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
r56 JWC coopers is the turbo version'd one as the engine are tweaked..Forget the 172 the cooper s turbo'd is way quicker than the cup in a straight line so R56 will walk all over the 172. However though the cup clio handles much better and is more agile than the r56. I hate to say it but its a fact.

r56 JWC coopers is the turbo version'd one as the engine are tweaked..Forget the 172 the cooper s turbo'd is way quicker than the cup in a straight line so R56 will walk all over the 172. However though the cup clio handles much better and is more agile than the r56. I hate to say it but its a fact.

i disagree

the new uglier turbo version is pretty much identical to the cup in performance terms, played with a couple before i started tuning my car and they were very even

i've also played with a GT tuned old shape S which start at 210bhp upwards and that couldnt pull on me, he was two up though

172 Cup
I had a later version Cooper S as a company car for a short while and I have to say it is faster than the Cup in a straight line.

Focus ST
I had a later version Cooper S as a company car for a short while and I have to say it is faster than the Cup in a straight line.

Super Charged or Turbo'd ?

I'm considering going back to turbo, in the form of ibiza cupra :(

172 Cup
i disagree

the new uglier turbo version is pretty much identical to the cup in performance terms, played with a couple before i started tuning my car and they were very even

i've also played with a GT tuned old shape S which start at 210bhp upwards and that couldnt pull on me, he was two up though

My Pal has a GTT 220 conversion and there is not much in it at all, apart from the fact he has a longer rev range in the gears! all depends on when we hit the throttle who will have the Edge!

I definately have the upper hand in the twisties and handling dept without doubt!

this is his Car!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/838541.htm

In 2004 they changed the gearbox (as the old ones were dog awfull) and gave it another 7bhp (up to 170).

My mum has one, it nippy. Very capable, it sticks to the road like its on rails. They can be very tail happy however.

Have a look at that drivers republic review of all the current hot hatches... they loved the R56.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In 2004 they changed the gearbox (as the old ones were dog awfull) and gave it another 7bhp (up to 170).

My mum has one, it nippy. Very capable, it sticks to the road like its on rails. They can be very tail happy however.

Have a look at that drivers republic review of all the current hot hatches... they loved the R56.
Thats the works version IIRC, should be good for about 22k!!

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T

The standard Cooper S (MK2) is 175bhp (1.6 turbo) and if you think it's 'way quicker' than a 172Cup you're wrong.

If you disagree, lets see your 'FACTS'.

I expect the JCW model would be quicker from around 60 onwards.

Monaco 172
I've owned both and I can say that 172 is definately quicker. I found the S to have more low down grunt though, probably due to the supercharger. Only thing is the supercharger is working all the time so it drinks fuel like a b*****d. Both great handling cars.

MCS R56
Thanks for your sarcasm

Sorry. I should have just steered clear but this is a common topic and has been discussed to the death. All that happens is the discussion turns to all versions of the Mini (JCW etc) and Clio (Cup, 182 etc) and nothing makes any sense. And then the 'it's down to the driver' comments follow.:eek:

Bottom line is (IMO) there ain't a massive difference between the 172 and the MCS (S'charged) but the advantage will lie with the 172.