ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 turbo

Citreon Berlingo MPV
Just got my 172 back from KTR after it's stage 2 turbo conversion (300 bhp) Currently running in on low boost, still feels quick when turbo starts producing boost.

Has anyone else got a turbo 172/182 and can offer any advice or comments.

Thanks

im new here mate and wondering how much these conversions cost and where bouts is ktr. did you have forged rods and pistons in aswell

Just got my 172 back from KTR after it's stage 2 turbo conversion (300 bhp) Currently running in on low boost, still feels quick when turbo starts producing boost.

Has anyone else got a turbo 172/182 and can offer any advice or comments.

Thanks

is this proven?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Yes the standard 172 gearbox's arnt the best in the world, im on my second.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
the jc5 is definatly not that tough really, nor are any of the jb3 range. the shorter jb5's are even weaker.

I had experience with a 2L high-boosted turbo engine, it broke 3 gearboxes in all, it made alot of torque. for this reason I fitted the shorter 83.5mm crank to my 172 turbo engine so I have 1794cc's. It means I can make much the same power without the mountain of torque the 2L would have made, I just have to rev that bit more. It gives my gearbox and clutch a fighting chance. I still manage to overheat something in the gearbox after 1/4m runs, it often locks me out of gears until I've coasted down the return lane for 30 sec or so. I have a feeling the box will not last much longer :)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
300bhp in a fwd clio, my god i bet its a b**ch to handle, imagine all the understeer lol would be stupid, i will stick to my 1.2 lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
change the gearbox oil more regularly (possibly every oil change while your at it anyway) and be slow and gentle with the gear changes and it should be ok.

id avoid full throttle in first gear too (probably useless with that sort of power anyway!)

id avoid full throttle in first gear too (probably useless with that sort of power anyway!)

Could you imagine Full Throttle in first Gear with a 300 BHP Clio, that would be MENTAL!:S

Citreon Berlingo MPV
Why does everyone think he is lying?

Because he wanted advice 'after' having a 6k+ engine conversion. Usually its the other way round :) ....alarm bells started to ring

I wasn't really after advice as such, just wanted to know what experiences other 172/182 owners have had with similar conversions. I fact I am very knowledgeable about transmission systems, especially ATB diffs, viscous couplings, linear stress dissipation etc...

Did my degree in transmission systems design. Just don't know how strong 172 gearboxes are, thats all...........

Clio 16v turbo
did you say u have put an lsd in? my valver turbo's nearly finished and im wondering weather ill need one? what does urs drive like mate?

R35 GTR
I just got my engine rebuilt by ktec a week ago. Not allowed past 4000rpm for a while, but already I can feel the power difference.

300bhp is not unlikely. I had 250bhp proven before my engine rebuild.:)

As for advice. Warm up, warm down, doesnt hurt it.

Keep an eye on the oil and coolant, check it daily. If you don't you could miss any problems and end up with a knackered engine.

Also, don't dump the clutch, don't do agressive starts.

Best I find is to get the car rolling then foot flat to the floor, taking time changing gears and don't force it.

Citreon Berlingo MPV
I just got my engine rebuilt by ktec a week ago. Not allowed past 4000rpm for a while, but already I can feel the power difference.

300bhp is not unlikely. I had 250bhp proven before my engine rebuild.:)

As for advice. Warm up, warm down, doesnt hurt it.

Keep an eye on the oil and coolant, check it daily. If you don't you could miss any problems and end up with a knackered engine.

Also, don't dump the clutch, don't do agressive starts.

Best I find is to get the car rolling then foot flat to the floor, taking time changing gears and don't force it.

Did you get the stage 2 conversion??

White Sti Hatch
Upload them to the likes of Photobucket then use the