ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 springs on 182 cup shocks?

Beaten up 182
One for the shock gurus, will stanadrd 172 springs fit on 182 cup shocks? Obviously they are softer, will they ride any higher/lower?

Yes, they wil fit. The springs are interchangeable and the differences in ride height between all the varients is actually very minimal, 10mm tops.

The 182 cup front springs are a slightly progressive winding, having 5 1/2 coils, with narrower spacing near the bottom, which close up under load. Wheras both the non-cup 172 and 182 springs are linearly and only have 4 1/2 evenly spaced coils in the winding. (I've found its a very quick way of telling if its a cup spring just from a photo or glance under the wheel-arch!) The wire guage between them is the same and the free length is the same. I'd just point out here that its usually the case that if all else being equal, the fewer turns (coils) in the winding the higher the spring rate, which would imply that the cup spring is softer, but you can't really compare spring rates between progressive and linear rates as simply as that.

I've tried some non-cup springs on cup shocks and the difference going from the cup's progresive winding to the linear is surely going to make some difference, but its not that noticeable and didn't seem to upset the cars balance during my limited time on them.

As a side-note, I actually can't see any difference in later ph2 172 and 182 non-cup springs, their physical dimensions/construction appear identical to me.

Beaten up 182
Excellent, thanks. From what I've read on spring rates the 182 cup springs are 30% stiffer on the front, rear 10%. The roads I drive on are terrible and have seen some 172 springs for next to nothing (I have 182 ff) and was thinking about swapping them.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Excellent, thanks. From what I've read on spring rates the 182 cup springs are 30% stiffer on the front, rear 10%. The roads I drive on are terrible and have seen some 172 springs for next to nothing (I have 182 ff) and was thinking about swapping them.
If you were close to me I'd swap my 172 standard springs for your 182 ff springs in a flash.

Quotes for spring rate "increases" in press releases are not something I trust that much really, what if they just say what they think customers want to hear? who checks?

I actually like the 182 cup springs very much for a road car. The rear spring is also fitted to the Trophy (although that uses a different front spring made by eibach, also a progressive winding and still quoted to be the same rate as the regular "cup" - go fugure!). The stiff ride of the 182 cup is more down to the dampers rather than the spring rates, which aren't high at all when compared to some coilover kits. Standard 172 springs are still in the same "ball-park" from what I can see, I never felt a transformation to a nicer ride quality when I swapped springs around.

Last edited: