ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Speedo Problem

M

MR_R_Rotten

can any one please help!!!

i have a 2001 PH2 172 and my speedo keeps droping out then coming back again and then somedays it doesnt do it at all.

all the other dials work ok it just the speedo.

please HELP!!!!!!:(

MERCEDES CLS AMG
3 possible Causes

1 - the speedo drive in the gearbox is fucked and needs replacing

2 - Most renault speedo readings are taken off the rear o/s ABS sensor. The ABS ring on the hub could be damaged or the ABS sensor may need replacing. If this was the case the ABS warning light would be on

3 - inst panel needs replacing

M

MR_R_Rotten

I have no abs light coming on the dash!!

i have also run the dancing dials test and all lights are ok and the dials run ok!

where abouts is the gearbox sensor!!

M

MR_R_Rotten

thanks i got that part!!!!:)

does any one have any photos of exactly where the sensor is....

im no good with mechanical stuff give me a PC any day!!!!

thanks

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Theres 2 parts.

Theres an outside pick up sensor that is screwed onto the bellhousing - this slots into the internal speedo drive which is powered by the diff. If its the internal one at fault its a gearbox out job im afraid. If its the external one just unscrew it and fit another.

99.9% of the time its the internal one !!

BMW M135i
Its a Ph2 so should be ABS driven though shouldn't it? Or being an early one will it be a case of renault parts bin syndrome?

172 mk2
Theres 2 parts.

Theres an outside pick up sensor that is screwed onto the bellhousing - this slots into the internal speedo drive which is powered by the diff. If its the internal one at fault its a gearbox out job im afraid. If its the external one just unscrew it and fit another.

99.9% of the time its the internal one !!

has anyone a picture of these parts? or a picture that could describe where they are located? sorry guys

cheers

clio 172 cup
mine is fucked aswell got me dad to go under the car he spotted the plug straight away but never fixed it so im going to see if warrenty will cover it

MERCEDES CLS AMG
01008445_1-2.png

00152747_1.png

MERCEDES CLS AMG
mine is f**ked aswell got me dad to go under the car he spotted the plug straight away but never fixed it so im going to see if warrenty will cover it

Your car will have a speedo drive in the gearbox as its a cup with no ABS

M

MR_R_Rotten

Re: 172 Speedo Problem (Fixed)

Finally got around to fixing my speedo!!
Ordered the external sensor from my local dealer for £18.99 (Cheep I thought)
While speaking to the dealer he said that there are fitting these all the time at the moment and is very common.
Fitting is a piece of Piss the old one just pulls out and the new one just pushes back in, Very easy 5min job just wait till the engine is cool though unlike me!!!! :)
Thanks for all the help.

cliosport 172
got the same problem a 2 months ago toning it down the a14 in the rain suddenly the speedo was ok next day in the dry and has only happened
again a couple of weeks ago going home from work when stopped at lights and set off again it worked, french electrics !!!!