ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Screeching noise

I have just replaced the cam belt and all the pulleys after collapsing one of the idler pulleys and bending the inlet valves. Have a spare motor so have changed over the complete head. also replaced the aux belt. All back together but after a 5 minute run there is a very loud screeching noise when revved over 2000rpm. Sounds like it is coming from the cam belt area.

I have checked all the relevant threads that I could find but nothing seems to be exactly like this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Pat (New Zealand)

It appears that I ovetightened the tensioner. Have readjusted and all is quiet except that engine is running pretty rough.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The auxiliary belt tensioner is spring loaded so you can not over tighten it.

Did you do the cam belt with the correct locking tools?

Overtensioning was the cam belt.
I have the cam locking plate for the flywheel end only so adjust with the crank and cams locked and both pulleys slackened and then adjusted.

By looks of it these are very easy to get of timing and need to be spot on using the genuine tools your timing is most likely out