ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Recently Purchased - Humming noise from behind the two front central air vents

Clio 172
Hi folks,

New to the forum here, been reading for a while and recently purchased an 04 plate 172 for some weekend fun. Bought it from an Evans Halshaw garage a couple of weeks back, 50k miles, all belts done and a 3 month drive-away warranty.

3 days after I bought the car it wouldn't start, mechanics who looked at it said it needed a new alternator. I've paid for this and am in the process of getting the money back under warranty as this part was covered.

Today when I've gone to start the car up I've noticed a humming noise coming from behind the two front central air vents. Also when I press the power on button on the standard radio this humming gets louder for around 4-5 seconds before going back to a mild humming noise. Each time I turn the radio on/off this situation repeats.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had the same/similar fault and know what it might be, I will be asking at a garage but thought someone on here might know.

All in all though these are a tremendous car to drive, 1st Renault I've ever driven, not the best built car in the world but when you give it some stick it comes to life and sounds quality.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Re: 172 Recently Purchased - Humming noise from behind the two front central air vent

If its affected by turning the radio on/off, it sounds like an electrical fault, possibly bad earth/loose connection/duff new alternator. Only happened since the alternator was fitted?

Clio 172
Re: 172 Recently Purchased - Humming noise from behind the two front central air vent

Yeah didn't notice the humming at all before the new alternator was fitted but the radio issue has only just started today.

Think it's possibly a bad connection of some sort then?

RS172

definately sounds like an earth fault, i'd take it back if still under warranty!!

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172

Certainly sounds like it, more than likely a duff new alternator.