ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 re map what gain is even worth it?

Black Sheep
Was speaking with a car tuning garage near me and was asking about a re map on my ph 2 172 he said it would be about £290 and i asked what BHP i would get and he said about 15 needless to say I left it, but is this normal for this sort of money cause why bother for this kind of gain for that money even if the throttle is a bit more responsive.

Yeah I'd say 15 is optimistic... Although apparently with a decent map drivablility is greatly improved due to a smoother power curve and there is a bit more pull low down in the revs

Just improves the drive ability of it really. Smooths out the torque curve and you loose the 5k kick. If you've only got light mods may as well just buy an RSTuner, map it with that then sell the RSTuner on.

Stripped yozza'd cup
15hp. Lol. Behave.
Tell him you want a before and after dyno test and you won't be paying him if it's not 15hp.

You'll get 2-3hp but as said, more power low down. It's pointless unless you have other mods really.

Edit: Are you saying that 15hp is too small an increase for £290?

Black Sheep
15hp. Lol. Behave.
Tell him you want a before and after dyno test and you won't be paying him if it's not 15hp.

You'll get 2-3hp but as said, more power low down. It's pointless unless you have other mods really.

Edit: Are you saying that 15hp is too small an increase for £290?

Lol :eek:I thought 15 bhp extra sounded crap lol i was thinking like 25 but what do I know eh:eek: I do know if you are getting it done you really have to go down the route of exhausts induction kits ect for the maximum effect which i am not going to do mainly for insurance reasons or i would. I do know that it more evenly distributes tourque but i never knew it took away the 5k kick the mrs wouldnt be moaning at me to slow down if that was the case, i dont need a rev counter:S

R60 CUP
To get anything decent out of the 172 your gonna need all the right mods to help it breath better even then you will be lucky if you see a 10bhp power up grade with a remap! as a full throttle body conv will just about get you 30bhp more so a re map wont really do much, i have a skoda vrs also even with a re map on that it only gets an extra 25-30 bhp and thats costing over 300 quid!

320d
As above its just about drivability. Coupled with other breathing mods such as exhaust, decat, matched inlets and uprated filter you may be looking at about 8bhp peak increase based on a live rolling road map. People at RS Tuning seem to achieve around that figure any way.

Only really worth it to tie together other mods you've done imo.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Lol :eek:I thought 15 bhp extra sounded crap lol i was thinking like 25 but what do I know eh:eek: I do know if you are getting it done you really have to go down the route of exhausts induction kits ect for the maximum effect which i am not going to do mainly for insurance reasons or i would. I do know that it more evenly distributes tourque but i never knew it took away the 5k kick the mrs wouldnt be moaning at me to slow down if that was the case, i dont need a rev counter:S

I wish that was the case mate!
The only way to get serious gains out of these is turbo / supercharger / throttle bodies / JMS inlet.

The basic mods package is exhaust, matched inlets, Clio V6 airbox, remap. IMO, they're the only 'engine' related things that are worth doing unless you're willing to spend big money.

R60 CUP
Yer im going the trottle body route i think as i dont like turbo lag! if u turbo it u have to go the whole hog as if u dont put a diff in the car all that power is usless, i guy near me has one and before he put a an lsd in the thing it spun its wheels till 3-4 gear! even now its not alot better lol, i think the smoother the power delivery the more usuable it is, but guess you cnt sit in a pub with your mates then and say u got a 300bhp clio ha!

Arctic Blue 182 FF
just don't bother, if you want big bhp, sell up and get a Ibiza cupra and get a remap, decent intercooler etc...

Stripped yozza'd cup
Yer im going the trottle body route i think as i dont like turbo lag! if u turbo it u have to go the whole hog as if u dont put a diff in the car all that power is usless, i guy near me has one and before he put a an lsd in the thing it spun its wheels till 3-4 gear! even now its not alot better lol, i think the smoother the power delivery the more usuable it is, but guess you cnt sit in a pub with your mates then and say u got a 300bhp clio ha!

Supercharger is the way forward in life :)
Massive power available but very progressive. If you want more than about 250hp, you have to get forged internals..... getting power out of a clio is a proper money pit.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
as said, remap is good if you have other bits (matched inlets, decat, bigger airbox) without spending big bucks. the rev range is a lot smoother through the gears and the "5k kick" will amost dissapear but from lower revs the pick-up will be greater. if is power your after then go down the supercharger/itb route as said.

15bhp.... not likely on a remap alone!

RS 182 CUP
the megane r26r didnt need a massive hike in power to be the fastest fwd round the ring did it?

Rusty Cup
I'd be surprised if you gain 5bhp with an rstuner remap.. it still transforms the way the clio drives!! i would hate too back too a standard map it would be horrible!!

No way on earth i'd spend £250-350 on a remap but rstuner as worth every penny!!