ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Phase 2 Grab Handles

Clio 172
Hey

I am considering painting my interior grab handles gloss black to match a couple of other bits and pieces. However the grab handles are not in great shape. I've cleaned them with a few products including tar & glue remover but they are still a bit sticky to the touch and if you scrape your nail on them some of what ever is either on the surface or part of the plastic its self comes off.

Has anyone tried this before or knows of what I can use as a decent pre-treatment to ensure a decent primer adhesion?

Thanks

Iceberg PH1 172
My handles were grubby and sticky. Like some one had wrapped and removed it previously. Baby wipes worked to make the surface clean again. But it took ages.. if your painting you could sand it off I suppose.
a bath in solvent might work but unsure how it may affect the plastic afterwards.

Clio 172
My handles were grubby and sticky. Like some one had wrapped and removed it previously. Baby wipes worked to make the surface clean again. But it took ages.. if your painting you could sand it off I suppose.
a bath in solvent might work but unsure how it may affect the plastic afterwards.
Thanks.

Will give it a go.

I was thinking some kind of solvent, but like you said wasn't sure how it would affect the plastic.

Thanks

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It might sound strange , but soak them in neat Dettol . Its a tip I got off a modelling website . It dissolves the rubber coating on the grab handles and it just peels off .
20130329_195446.jpg

20130329_195523.jpg

20130329_195601.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Are they paintable afterwards?
What other prep will I need after that?
Thanks
Make sure all the residue is off , wash them in hot soapy water then dry them . Then wipe them down with some IPA to remove any grease , give them a light sanding down with some 1000 grit wet n dry to help the plastic primer key . Then spray with what ever colour coat you want , keeping the coats light , then a couple of coats of lacquer . Make sure everything is clean and grease free throughout and you should be ok .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOTTLE-OF...730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5419a3332a
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WET-AND-D...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c155fe42c

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I left them soaking overnight . The rubber coating just fell off . I only primed mine , haven't got round to finding the right colour I want to paint them .

Clio 172
Thanks for the tip. I soaked the first one overnight last night and I just checked it earlier and the rubber coating has completely fell off.
Perfect.
The second one is soaking now.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for the tip. I soaked the first one overnight last night and I just checked it earlier and the rubber coating has completely fell off.
Perfect.
The second one is soaking now.
Nice one . Apparently you can use Dettol to strip alsorts of paint from plastics . No wonder it kills germs if it's that strong lol .

Clio 172
Just a bit of an update incase you are interested.

The detail completely stripped the rubber coating off. They've been sanded down and I've primed them both, and top coated one (ran out of primer after the first one). Should have them both done by tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tip.

Ph2 Meg 225
Once the rubber coating came off did it just leave the plastic finish beneath or did it discolour it? I'd just like to removed the rubber coating on mine as it's heavily scratched!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just a bit of an update incase you are interested.

The detail completely stripped the rubber coating off. They've been sanded down and I've primed them both, and top coated one (ran out of primer after the first one). Should have them both done by tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tip.
Nice one . What colour are you going for ? I was trying to find something to match or something close as the originals . But I've been a bit busy so put this little project on the back burner for now . It'll be good to see some pics when you've finished.
@Kchristmas . It leaves the bare plastic below , ready for a light sand down and prime . It doesn't discolour it . Make sure you give them a good wash in hot soapy water cos that dettol stinks lol

Clio 172
@Kchristmas I don't know if they were discoloured but the plastic on mine were all one colour and we're definitely not in the condition to be put back in the car without being painted or dipped.

@MRBILLYUK I am painting them black gloss. Although I am now going to have to paint the door latch surround also and maybe the speaker cover. I'll get some pic's up when they're done.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@Kchristmas I don't know if they were discoloured but the plastic on mine were all one colour and we're definitely not in the condition to be put back in the car without being painted or dipped.

@MRBILLYUK I am painting them black gloss. Although I am now going to have to paint the door latch surround also and maybe the speaker cover. I'll get some pic's up when they're done.
I thought about a gloss black , with a Matt lacquer , then I thought about a very dark grey metallic but couldn't find one I liked . Then i gave up thinking cos I had other things to do lol . Mine are primed and ready for a colour coat , its just having time .

Clio 172
I like the recently modern high gloss black look.

Another completely different question. Have you tried or have any thoughts on port matching inlets.

I am hoping to do mine this weekend.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I like the recently modern high gloss black look.

Another completely different question. Have you tried or have any thoughts on port matching inlets.

I am hoping to do mine this weekend.

I thought about it ages ago . Then reading on here over the years I'm not sure you really see any beneficial gains . You'll get some people who swear you do , you'll get some who swear you don't . Have a bit of search on here and see what you come up with . It seems like things become popular for a while , then die down . I remember a few years back lots of people saying remove the acoustic valve , so lots did . That topic seems to have gone away now . Now another popular one doing the rounds at the minute is the fatty k-tec style induction kit ( which by the way to anyone reading this , I'm not knocking , I'm just saying these things come round then go away ).

Clio 172
I've only been on here a little while, and had my 172 for about 8 months, but I have noticed that on here very mixed opinions. I have recently bought that induction mod, but yet to fit it. I bought a 4-2-1 manigold and sport cat from a 182 as well. I am hoping to port the inlets get a decent exhaust, fit the filter and get it reprogrammed all at once and hopefully I'll see a bit of an improvement.

I think the porting will be relatively straight forward.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm no mechanic . But from what I've learnt off here , to get any serious power gains you have to throw serious money at these Clios . I had a 172 , brand new out of the box , same as my 182 and there was absolutely nothing in it , 10bhp means sod all in the real world , they're just numbers . One thing on here that everybody seems to say is a good mod , is get an RS tuner . Doing all the things you say above might gain you a few bhp and it might feel a little bit more eager . Nothing lost trying them . Other things to consider are having good tyres , brakes , make sure your suspension is in good condition . Its no good having a car that's quick if it doesn't handle or stop well . Out of the box they're a very capable car for a hairdressers car :tonguewink: I've had my 182 for just over 9 years and it still puts a huge smile on my face everday when i want to give it some beans .