ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or vr6?

dt_

205 1.6
Hi all, I'm new here,

Im quite fancying a new car, I've been thinking golf mk3 vr6 but then my mate took me out in his 172 and got me thinking. Was intending to compare the two- to me they are similar but at the same time poles apart; same power, similar insurance cost and similar purchase price (ph1 172). Has anyone here owned or driven a golf vr6 as I've never driven either car.

Im thinking downsides to golf= heinous thirst, boat like handling, but on the upside there's that noise and smooth power power delivery, but less fun factor than the 172.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers for any reply

Phase 2 172 Sport
For me it would be a 172 every time, what model 172 would you be looking at Cup or FF !? I prefere slightly smaller hatch's so that makes the decision easy for me and the fact that a mk3 Golf is ageing.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Got to be the clio. If you asked one of my best mates he would say the vr6, only cause he's a golf fan.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
It's all personal preference. As said the golf is getting on, and why the hell would you want a golf for? It's an overrated lump of vag and whilst it'll be fun for a while your get bored quick I expect.

Clio is small, nimble and most important fun.

As said, IMO it's all about preference.

Evo 5 RS
easy. 172.

VR6's are good cars if you've got relatively deep pockets and free time, but they've got their own problems

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I feel I'm in a more educated position then most;

My old mk3 vr6;

b915d647.png

My old mk2 vr6;

d9cf920f.png

Evo 5 RS
I'd say they're amply more desirable than a mk3 Golf tbh.

Not recommending you buy either...money pits.

Last edited:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I've had a VR6, but never a 172.

The VR6 isn't a great car at all. It makes a fantastic noise, but 174bhp from a 2.8 just ins't acceptable! Also, in standard form the handling isn't all that good.

I'd steer clear personally, get a 172 and have some fun!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
The Corrado is an entirely different beast! I've had one of those too (2.0 16v not VR6) I loved my Corrado, out of the box it was great and with some FK automotive coilovers it was awesome.

Here's my old Golf
Pics-002.jpg

And here's my old Corrado
DSCI0033.jpg

Evo 5 RS
Is that the KR 1.8? Same engine as the Mk2 GTI. Mechanical injection is a pita to tune and they have untold cold start problems. I wouldn't own one now, it's just not worth the aggravation, they're all just too old.

Didn't know they did a 2ltr 16v. There was a 2ltr 8v and the older 1.8 (KR) 16v GTI engine and the G60

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Is that the KR 1.8? Same engine as the Mk2 GTI. Mechanical injection is a pita to tune and they have untold cold start problems. I wouldn't own one now, it's just not worth the aggravation, they're all just too old.

Didn't know they did a 2ltr 16v. There was a 2ltr 8v and the older 1.8 (KR) 16v GTI engine and the G60

Nope, not 1.8. They definately did a 2.0 16v mate.

1.8 16v (KR)
1.8 8v supercharged (the g60)
2.0 16v (9A I believe)
2.0 8v (Don't even bother, it's quicker walking)
2.9 12v (vr6)

Nope, not 1.8. They definately did a 2.0 16v mate.

1.8 16v (KR)
1.8 8v supercharged (the g60)
2.0 16v (9A I believe)
2.0 8v (Don't even bother, it's quicker walking)
2.9 12v (vr6)

Omg i always thought the vr6 would be a 16v or 24v that is pathetic :(

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Omg i always thought the vr6 would be a 16v or 24v that is pathetic :(

Nope, 16v wouldn't really work (6 cylinder, so would be an odd number of valves!)

2 valves per cylinder, isn't really a proper V6 either. It's only a 15degree 'V' and shared a common head.

PB Clio 172
For me it would be a 172 every time, what model 172 would you be looking at Cup or FF !? I prefere slightly smaller hatch's so that makes the decision easy for me and the fact that a mk3 Golf is ageing.

no such thing as a FF 172.

go for the 172 op. Its a winner!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
never meet your heros. The chargers need rebuilds every other Monday

Mate of mine had a g60 running over 180 -200bhp without any issues. I think it's the same with most cars, sometimes you get a good 'un sometimes not so good.

dt_

205 1.6
Hmm some good replies in here, to the guy who drove the mk3 gti 16v - what was that like to live with? Thinking of a phase 1 due to the lower purchase price, and due to the vr6s 25ish mpg and rust issues

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Clio every time and i'm a vag fan boi. VR's are just too old and thirsty now. A 172 will be quicker and cheaper to run.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
172 all the way it will put a much bigger smile on your face then any golf ever would there all to fat, heavy and sluggish

53 Clio's & counting
Iv had a million 172s and 3 mk3 vr6's, as well as working for VW for the past 12 years odd.

IMO, both are very good cars.

The 172 is a million more times fun in standard form, where the VR is better built.

The VR engine is massively under stressed - 174bhp from a large engine is not a big number, but the exhaust is restrictive, the cams are not very aggressive, and they love F/I - a charger conversion will net you 260+ bhp and same torque and it would do a million miles and still have that power.

The handle very well with better shocks.. A lower height, decent ARB's and geo, but as said Clio's handle better out the box but most people dont leave either standard so comparing standard to standard is not too important.

They are also very reliable, the biggest issue now with them is rust - getting a good one is getting hard now.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ive had 2 of each......... and would never go back to a Mk3 golf again

Changes to often
ive had a VR6 lowline the 2.8, great car but raped me in insurance and fuel costs were immense, the 172 should be lighter but you will fall in love with the vr6 purrr, they sound amazing.

golf.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
V-engines are always superior to 4-bangers. Fact of life.

If you want fuel economy, get a Kia

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
IMO I'd have a 172 Cup, always loved them! Not a fan of Golfs but thats just my oppinion.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mk3 golfs are lovely comfy boats, but personally i'd never own one, enjoy being a passenger in a few of my mates ones over the years though :)

in other words, clio would be my choice, but again what do you expect, this is a clio forum ;-)

Phase 1 172
MK3 golfs do NOT handle (I had a 16v for a wee while) and the boat anchor of an engine that is the VR6 is all mouth and no trousers (Im a big VW fan btw and have a mk2 Golf Gti). However, they are nice cars to pootle around in, are solidly built (rust appart) and have interiors on such a completely different level of quality to the phase 1 172 that its laughable. In fact, the interior on my Mk2 is better than the joke of an interior that the 172 phase 1 that I also have has. However, if you want fast fun, the clio's are in a different league to the MK3 without having to spend any money on them to make them handle!!! I think others have hit the spot with the Corrado though, damn fine car but dont bother with anything other than the G60 or the VR6 as the rest just are not quite fast enough (the 2l 16v doesnt even make 140BHP for example though power isnt everything). Dont listen to the scare stories about G60's either, if you find a good one and accept that its worth rebuilding the charger at reasonable intervals (depends on the boost you run on this one) then you will be fine. The G60 does need the boost raising from stock though as they are also not very fast in standard form.

53 Clio's & counting
Comparing standard to standard yes, the Golf doesn't handle as well as the clio, but being honest would the OP keep either stadard? Nope - so once modified correctly with decent suspension, ARB's and geo IMO the Golf does handle - my last one on a spex set up handled very well, and very neutral, but needed better tyres to compensate for the weight

dt_

205 1.6
Yeah the car wouldn't remain standard for long. It's the rust that's putting me off the mk3 I think, I know that any car (just about) can be made to handle with suspension mods and quality tyres, and it's the build quality of the Clio putting me off that. Which one is worse for insurance? Also, what's boot space like in the Clio - sometimes I've got a lot of speaker equipment to haul about