ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 immobiliser issues

406 passion wagon..
Help needed:

Just recently my mk1 172 has become a pain in the ass to start.... Turn the key and the immobiliser light flashes, the engine will run for about 2secs, which is what it's designed to do with duff keys etc.

I am wondering whether it is a sign that my key is going flat, only having one key means I can't check. It mainly happens on the first start of the day, and me having to lock and unlock the car several times... (frustraighting).

Anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers
Karl

The Beast MK4
Ive got the same problem mate. Going to the reno soon. The keys rattling so it sounds like im in trouble. New keys are bloomin expensive aswell!

406 passion wagon..
Seems that it could be an issue with the Key and immobiliser not synching with eachother. It's going into Reno on Monday, hopefully not too expensive......

K

Megane 225+
Mines been teperamental for about 2 years (2002-172 sport).

I regularly get the flashing light (once/twice a week). I end up turning the ignition off wait 20 seconds and try agian usually ok or sometimes have to repeat a couple of times - not so cool when getting fuel.

Every 2 months or so I get complete immobilisation (2 m's?) does my head in and i'm stuck for 15 mins before it seems to reset (frustrating repeating of action as above) - had to reheat my tia curry last night-mrs not impressed!

I've heard that unco-operative immobilisers are common.

Does mine sound typically unco-op or normalish?

Is it the bloody keys and what will it cost?

406 passion wagon..
Heard back from Reno.

It is either the Key(s) or the decoding system. osbid172 your issue sounds similar to mine! They have had a few cases before at the place I took mine to. In those cases they changed both the key (transmitter) and the decoder. Reno prices are £75+VAT (per key) and £129+VAT for the decoder.

I'm gonna put up with it for the mo. I have found a technique that is working for me. If the light flashes turn the key to fully off press the button on the key then try again. Although this method is tempremental as well :-(

Karl

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I had the exact same problem and it was the keys. But Im skint and tight so asked fo rdiscount and got it! Still £150 just for 2 keys and then £35 to code them though :(

406 passion wagon..
Crap isn't it!! I'm a tad skint at the mo so shall wait it out for a month or so, having just brought another new trye!!!

48K service in <2K miles as well, it does drain my pockets :-(

Megane 225+
thats steep.
guess i'll just ride my luck
I'll wait and get a quote locally.
I'll let you know if its any different

Clio 182 FF
i have the exact same problem, took it to the dealer, they put on the computer, so unless the problem actually occurs whilst they have it hooked up to the computer it wont tell them of a problem. so the mechanic hooked up his laptop, turned the ignition on and off about 20 times. sods law worked fine every time. packled his laptop away, went to drive the car away from the garage, guess what. wouldnt start.
he said its a problem with my key. had to fork out £135.00 for two new keys. seems to have solved the problem apert from once every now and then it may not start first time.
Suppose i will have to put up with that. never mind.

Megane 225+
My probs still on-going - had to warm a chinese on the weekend, spoken to some auto electric people today - all said i need to go via renault as the car is an 02 for newer models they seem to think they can help

My local renault say £65.00 + VAT for a diagnostic so they tell what the problem is - i'm going to book it in later in the week.

Anyone know if you can disable the immobiliser completely?

Clio 182 FF
The problem is with taking it to your renault dealer, unless the problem happens whilst your there, The computer will not pick it up as a fault. this is the problem i was having. If your lucky it will happen once you are there.
And they still charge you £65.00 + VAT
Although they only charged me £30 inc VAT

Megane 225+
well i took a chance and i've had a month of no problems! - i was having probs every week - it had been getting worse over the last 3 years.

- starts every time - no flashing lights, no immobilsing & the car locks form the plip button every time- i was having to use the key a couple of times a week to lock.

after a month i'm confident its sorted-started not to even thinking about it now-confidence at and all time high- no more "i've got a flasher".

I did some looking around on other sites for Renault immobiliser probs and the decoder ring seemed to be a common probem so i bought one (part # 82 00 143 408) @ £38 + VAT. it was such a cheaper option than getting the keys done-but a risk i was prepared to take.

Took me about 20mins to fit-just took off the all one & plugged in the new.