ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 hesitating problem

O

OferPeleg

Hello everyone
I’m new here and this is my first thread,
I own a Clio 172 2001 mk1 and lately I have an hesitating engine problem,
It’s not a constant problem , I can drive 100 miles without filling it and suddenly it appears…. The revs go up and down and the car chokes (like running out of fuel)…when I rev it up over 4-5K the hesitation is gone…
The car have been tested at the garage and the following parts as been replaced\tested :

New Battery
New Lamda Sensor
Fuel Filter as been replaced
Fuel Injectors as been cleaned
Fuel pressure as been tested (maybe it was showing good measures only at the test time, random fault remember ?)
Spark plugs as been tested and cleaned

More info:
Now, sometimes I have another problem .... starting problem … and then I turn on & off the switch a few times and then give it a try, most of the times it working for me ….last time that I had a stating problem….
The switch turn trick wouldn’t help, I went to the fuel pump, disconnected the Fuel out connection (green In arrow) turn on the key the fuel (50cc of fuel was pumped up) connected it again…try fire it up …and it didn’t work,
Then I’ve tried to disconnect the Fuel in line (Red in arrow), Turn on the switch and (50cc of fuel pumped up) returned the fuel connector to the pump…tried to fire it up …and fire at once !
Like oil bleeding (maybe there is air in the fuel system?)

Tried to elaborate my fault experience so .. maybe someone will guide me trough the problem….
Please don’t tell me to search it up the forum …. I did it …noting helpful came out ….

Waiting for your advise

Ofer.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It does sound like your car could be misfiring mate.

Possibly a faulty coil pack or faulty High Tension lead going into each of the 4 coils?

Are there any lights illuminated on the dash mate?

O

OferPeleg

Danny,

There is no light that illuminated on the dash when it happens...
I've will check the leads ... but i don't think that it's the problem , the spark plugs as been cleaned a week ago,
do you think that a coil pack problem could be random ?

Jonny,

The throttle body has been cleaned lately.

my intuition is for something with the fuel\fuel pump\coil pack...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Danny,

There is no light that illuminated on the dash when it happens...
I've will check the leads ... but i don't think that it's the problem , the spark plugs as been cleaned a week ago,
do you think that a coil pack problem could be random ?

Jonny,

The throttle body has been cleaned lately.

my intuition is for something with the fuel\fuel pump\coil pack...

Sounds like it anyway mate. From the symptoms your saying it definatley sounds like what mine was doing.

Mine was very hesitiant (firing on 3 cylinders, very rough idle etc)

Changed the spark plugs and the coil pack and its been fine since.

Pulling the HT leads out through the process of elimination should state whether the coil pack/ht leads need changed mate

C

crofty66

I had a very similar problem a month ago. it was a ht lead. get the car somwhere dark(a garage with the door shut maybe) get someone to rev it with the engine cover off and see if there is any sparking from any of the leads. If not give them a wiggle and try again to make sure. its easy enough to spot and will save you a lot of hassle. it might not be the problem but i will eliminate it.

O

OferPeleg

The Saga continues …
Well after all the tests and last week fuel pump change i still haven’t solved the problem !
But I can add more info on the problem :
When the hesitation problem starts (coming and going remember) I’m revving the engine above 6K RPM the hesitation is gone for the next 5 minutes…. And the car runs well.

What else it could be ?
I haven’t changed spark plugs (tested outside and cleaned though) ,
Maybe the Coil Pack ?

I'm really frustrated ….:dapprove:

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio 172
Have you tried changing the TDC Sensor. i've heard that sometimes that can be the cause of very similar problems. hope this helps.

Cro

Meg'd r27
TDC and Lamda Sensor are the same ?
nope totally different. TDC is down on the right of the block above the gearbox.
Before you go spending any more money do the coilpack and leads. If it isnt one of them then its time to spend money and check the wiring. I had a split wire in the loom going to the lambda.

Coilpack and leads first, have u had it plugged in for a diag?

O

OferPeleg

Cro-Clio,

I had send it to a diag at Renault, they found nothing...
the ph1 computer is not so sophisticated...

I will buy new leads and search for a coil pack ....
Do you know how much a coil pack should cost ?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Think they are around £50 from motorfactors but normally go for half that second hand. Could be very expensive new