ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 front shockers help

172 16v
does any1 no wheather the 172 front shockers have a different length i.e shorter , longer? of thread at the top where the strut tops go on, to the 182 shockers?

Evo 6, E92 320d
182 and 172 are the same, its the 182 cups that differ, but only at the hub bolt spacing(iirc)

172 16v
thing is the strut tops wen tightend up are not sitting on the car theres a 10 mm gap ive tried standard spring to the 40mm springs that were in and its jus the same its pee'in me off any suggestions mate???

Da

Less
Do you have any pics of how the top mount is sitting?
Is it too high to shut the bonnet?
Have they always been like this or is it since some work was carried out?

172 16v
Do you have any pics of how the top mount is sitting?
Is it too high to shut the bonnet?
Have they always been like this or is it since some work was carried out?

no havent got pics but will take sum pics 2moz wen its light, no bonnet still shuts ok, passenger side is about a 3 mm gap and driver side is bout 10mm gap, only had the car bout 2 months and never notice em till a few weeks after so dont no if any works bin done to em mate

Da

Less
They do sometimes sit away from the body work depending on what position the car and wheels are in.

If it's on a flat surface with the wheels straight then they should be the same.

When you took the springs off did you make sure everything was put back correctly on the mount under the turret?

172 16v
They do sometimes sit away from the body work depending on what position the car and wheels are in.

If it's on a flat surface with the wheels straight then they should be the same.

When you took the springs off did you make sure everything was put back correctly on the mount under the turret?

turret?? is that the bit that u put on b4 the big rubber bit lol

Da

Less
The turret is the party of the bodywork that the suspension pokes through into the engine bay.

If a part has been missed off from the top mount under the turret then the amount of thread showing inside the bay will be greatly increased.

172 16v
wen the strut is poked back thru the hole n i put the last bit of the strut top on and i basicly ran out of thread b4 the top meets the body work

Da

Less
Yes I understand that - but when you took them apart were both sides the same? As in no parts missing from one side?

172 16v
yea both the same mate wen i first got the car i fort it were just strut tops so wen i was replacing them i notice that on the driver side the thread that was showing to the passenger side was hardly any so fort that was problem and it was only finger tight, but wen i got new tops and tightend all the way down it was still the same

Dodgy one
Did you install the metal sleeve into the topmount and is the top pan definatly seated properly?

Da

Less
If it's off centre and not seated right then the only solution is to take it apart again and check everything over as you put it back.

172 16v
could it be the shockers coz wen they were apart i pushed em all the way down and they dont come back up again.

172 16v
If it's off centre and not seated right then the only solution is to take it apart again and check everything over as you put it back.

wen it was all put back 2gether and the car was still jacked up it was in the correct position as soon as ya let the jack down it pushes up wen i take it for a drive and pop bonnet its always in a different position

172 16v
why u get new 1s?? did u have same prob?? are they shortend 1s from k-tec or are they same as standard?? did u get a discount coz u a member on here???

Da

Less
If you push a damper down it will stay down unless a spring is fitted. They are naturally at their shortest setting and extended to fit, so to speak.