ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 exclusive test drive

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

had the test drive yesterday and compared to my mk2 it feels slightly quicker but this may be down to more miles and loosened up more. Car was slightly better handling but felt the excl slipped more than mine when i tackled a roundabout aggressively to see how sharp it was. Think it may be one of the dampers leaking, will investigate.

inside the cream is smart but i think the owners of the one i was in have neglected to clean them or at least treat them as they were a little worn and britlle (ok its 3 years old) anyway the cream on the doors is different and for my money the white dials were quality compared to my standard looking black yins.

Stumbling block was the cash price i thought theyd have been keen on moving the price for a cash sale but wasnt really encouraged and adding in the road tax, equifax/hpi check and inspection i would get her for £6880 only £120 down on the asking price. Just dont know if its justified as whilst i thought the inside was different and the green paint with bbs alloys also unique it is around 500-750 min higher than a standard 172 mk1 and iv even seen some 172 mk2 cups at 7500!!

SO...........bit of a dilemma invest in this car, its fairly tidy bar the seats, seems to be better in some departments compared to mk2, options:-

1) Sod it buy itm its unique get the price down a bit and drive it away happy

2) compare it to a mk2 172 cup and analyse from there

3) buy the 1.7 Puma I test drove today which is on a 51 plate in grey.

decisions decisions.............

puma to finish this off was a very impressive car with decent if not 172 similar performance, though highest mileage of 63500.

From a mk1 172 owner...

Quote:
excl slipped more than mine when i tackled a roundabout aggressively to see how sharp it was.

That will be the lack of traction control - lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

The seats are one of the only unique things about an exclusive if they arent great then why bother.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by Day172 on 10 March 2005

From a mk1 172 owner...

hmmmmmmmmm interesting i have to say, all i felt i missed was some of the toys such as the cruise control and air con. Didnt really miss the climate control as it can be a pain in the erse when set on auto (minor gripe)

I just dont know if the y reg excl is a guid choice given the reluctance to shift on the 7k asking price, spose its unique. Me thinks a few more test drives and prob end up wi a mk2 cup as they are getting rather cheap, budgeto is 7k but spose ill move up a bit if i can find a minter cup with okish miles.

the puma was a pleasant surpise and no surprises when my missus grinned the most when driving it, as it is for her i think its a strong contender, but i fancy more power than what it has and a quick dip for a racing puma has proved awkward plus there more 10k than 7k!! the puma i felt for a ford was fairly decent and had a decent choice of kit, mileage a bit dodgy but just serviced and had major work done, minor blemish in rear seat where someone scratched the middle bench so the fabric torn, can get fixed by dealer, plus i could get the puma all in for under 6400 with the same checks as the clio.

defo try the cup and see what its like having never driven one to compare it too mine, anyone else got some input?!?!

ta

Like Tom says, You are paying all that extra for different colour seats and wheels at the end of the day.

Mine is black, I know of about 5 other ones the same colour on this forum... Is mine more exclusive than I thought?

Go for a Cup... thats what I would do in your situation.

Day

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 11 March 2005

The seats are one of the only unique things about an exclusive if they arent great then why bother.
have considered that myself, but im thinking limited run of 172 (prob a few less due to write offs) and ok the seats needed some tender care to get back imo to there best but it does like smart inside i feel and a little bit stealth from the outside as the green/ bbs 16s and smallish 2.0 badge dont stand out from the crowd. Give away is obv the badge on the back, but felt quite at home in it.

i know that i could prob for around 7500 get an 02 cup with similar miles so thats what makes me a bit unsure. Really is a hard one as i have been looking into this for a while and i have to say getting a answer proving v v hard.

missus also saw a streetka which was keen to take out when we arrived to have a gander at the puma ---- didnt speak to her for an hour:p

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by Day172 on 11 March 2005

Like Tom says, You are paying all that extra for different colour seats and wheels at the end of the day.

Mine is black, I know of about 5 other ones the same colour on this forum... Is mine more exclusive than I thought?
totally think its a 750 premium for those extras its the whole limited thing that gets me and as i plan to have it for at least 2 years it could be sometjing i wont lose wads of dosh on come trade in

will have cup test drive at weekend and see if the lure of an 02 plater with slightly different setup to mine will be enough to seal the deal. Have to say if i get a guid deal i could just get it going on sat/sun, but would have to be a topper.

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Quote: Originally posted by R20 CWH on 10 March 2005

1) Sod it buy itm its unique get the price down a bit and drive it away happy

I think you may have answered the question yourself. If it makes you happy buy it. End of the day you have to live with it so you have to be happy with it.

What number is it?

Camel

Sounds a bit expensive for what it is take you money and either buy a Mrk 1 172 and mod it a bit or get a mrk 2 172 dont get a cup you will miss the air con etc that you get on the 172.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

manney:- it was number 94

dubster: - i agree it is dear, but cos it was a special edition it has made the choice harder (see below comments tho)

xzibit - puma i felt was slower once i was at 50-70 in gears and such like it does have VVC but wasnt as sharp as my 172, also rear visibility is awful!! Handling i hate to say it was actually quite guid. The car was also the newest avails, but well overdouble the mileage of 172 cup (see below)

16v_john - its going to be her that drives it more as she will have it for work and do about 15k a year in work miles alone, so it was only fair she was asked, but she did want to try the puma as shes already had my car out and quite liked it but always wanted to compare it to a puma

...its not an issue any more as im now the proud owner of two mk172s a cup and my own full fat one. Test drove a 03 plater cup today and it was only slightly different to the 172 i have, slightly keener handling due to suspension setup, DIDNT see any major performance changes. Missus liked it and she liked the turinis and paint job which was sparkling the day!!

well happy, get a great deal on her i felt, had air con specified and a 6 CD changer like mine which ok add weight but i really dont care!! Dealer chipped off some cash as well as no p/x and saw i had a 172 so wanted it to go to a guid hame!! (joke) no climate control is no big loss, will miss the cruise control but more likely to be my missus doing mway driving so shes never had the cruise so wont miss it. No abs is a bit of a prob as i felt that was the only thing that makes the cup scary, but will get her booked in when i collect it next sat for some uprated brakes (expect a post on that!!)

so happy and get this the car is 22k on the clock and was just in this morning from Middlesex, then valetted and out with me at 1pm quick sale for them eh?!?! dying to get it :D