ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Vs Toyota Celica

I've not asked one of these "will I beat.......?" topics before.......

A friend of a friend has recently bought a 1997 Toyota Celica 1.8 16v.

He's been wanting a race, so I offered him a legal race up the local drag strip to test it out, his response was
"only if i get to go up against you. ,
you never know the french car could win????

( NEVER GUNNA HAPPEN ) "

Now, is he serious, or should I actually be worried?

Does anyone know the stats on these cars? Even if they are around 200bhp their weight must be more than the Cup?

Here's a picture of it for reference:

2630259956a9015480925l.jpg

Jag Mondeo -Type
Clio will beat that, unless its extensively tuned, Only celica a cup needs to worry about (in std form) is the GT4

Assuming its the Gen 6 GT then 168bhp, 0-60 7.9!!!! bye bye celica...

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I can't see the pictures at work - as the system doesn't seem to allow all of them to work. Looked at Celicas, and only the gt4 (turbo) seems to be quick - all the others will prob get rinsed by the cup.

Hand his a*s to him.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL

You'll utterly destroy him. I predict 5 lengths+

Gutless cars, that gen Celica.

They're 140bhp IIRC... maybe not even that

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
the GT is a 2.0 litre car and thats roughly around 158bhp but its weight makes it quite a slow car (ive had one). The 1.8 is the ST and its terrible. Its by no means fast and because of its size it will be even slower.

So to compare a ferrari and a skoda fabia (95) would be very similar in this instance. You will be able to give him a 5 second head start and still win LOL

DCi
i came into this thread thinking oh this must be about a GT4 - i nearly bought one when I got my clio but thought the clio would be the better choice... walk in the park that

lol, nice comments. Think I may have a play with him anyway ;)

I'll update this thread as and when I do take him on at the drag.

A ANIMAL
ha- i have done this race - 'friend' has a 1.8 GT. Hes a complete bullshitter so he recons his has been chipped - turbo'd and s'charged. Circa 440BHP IIRC and has done 170mph.

Raced on his old mans private race track ;)

Resulting in him claiming his clutch has been slipping hence the 4+ second gap that had opened up by about 70 beans.

Clio 172 Sport
lol celica 7.9 secs clio cup 6.7.

and that gap will grow as you go faster and faster :)

He doesn't stand a chance mate :cool: