ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup vs 197 Cup for Track Car

Track 172 Cup
Well I'm getting ready to go and view a 172 Cup that I'm looking at buying for track use and trips to the Ring and was wondering if there is much difference and are the 197 worth the extra money over the 172 for example the 172 I'm looking at had 59k miles, Quaife Diff, BC Coilovers, 2 X Bucket seats, belts and dephaser done and is up for £4.5k or would I bexpect any better of getting a Standard 197 Cup throwing out the interior and doing seats, suspension where the 197 will cost me Probably £5.5k just for the car (biggest difference being the Quaife Diff which I know isn't cheap). So basically is it worth the extra investment? is the 197 a better engine? Given it has 25+ hp over the 172 and to get that out of he 172 would cost a fair bit.

Hope my post makes sense lol I've just woke up after a night shift and 5 hours sleep.

Stu.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
25bhp to compensate 240kg's doesn't really work well from a bhp/tonne point of view though, does it?
Consumables are far cheaper and after market parts far more available than a 197.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The 197s don't make 197bhp as standard so bare that in mind.

You can however pick up early optionless 197s for £3/4k now. So that's a good starting point.

Buy a cheap one, sell the interior, fit seats and a diff and enjoy the better out of the box handling and slightly newer car.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
If an F4R was easy to extract power from I'd say 197 but it isn't and your always gonna be battling that extra weight with only a smidge more power and a luck of the draw gearbox. Stripped mk2 Clio's do go very well.

However if a great chassis and not straight line pace is your priority then the 197 has a lot to offer.

Swift Sport
Very different cars on track... It depends whether you want to maximise fun or ability. Ignore people who say a Mk2 would be quicker as there's nothing in it.
The Mk2 is more raw, more fun and feels livelier while the Mk3 feels more sure-footed, more planted with excellent brakes and feels generally easier and safer to drive hard.
I'd go for the 172 purely because they're cheaper to buy and run.
Don't get sucked into thinking you need a massive spec, as some decent tyres and brakes with a good suspension set-up will be all you need.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Interesting. I've found a noticeable difference in straight line oomph stock 172 cup vs stock 197 on track. Had a few friendly discussions in the pit with mk3 owners this year to check I'm standard engine wise.
Can't argue with the sound advice above however!

Track 172 Cup
Thanks for all the info guys, think I was just a little unsure as I have never owned a Clio or a track car. Luckily @Chi was a top bloke and sorted me out.. Just waiting on calling @Neil@greenlight (or a call back) to sort the Insurance out tomorrow Hopefully get a decent quote. Going to be 90% Track car but the odd meet up would probably get chucked in there too.

Track 172 Cup
Will do mate, Thanks very much. (missus is gonna kill me when she finds out I'm looking a set of Wilwood Calipers and the Saftey Devices Roll Cage in the for sale section haha)

Track 172 Cup
Quaife Diff, Buckets/Harnesses, spare set of 15" 2118's, power flow exhaust, ITG Carbon Air intake, Polybushed, Anti-Roll bar, BC Coilovers, Carbon Lorraine pads, Belts and Dephaser been done few thousand miles ago car itself has 59k miles on it. Looked at a couple to be fair and for the price I could have bought a standard one cheaper and had to spend a few grand on bits. The Quaife and Mileage/Belts was the main reason and @Chi was recommended by lots of people and would now Highly recommend him myself to anyone else.

320d
The diff will make it amazing. It's one thing the car lacks out of the box for track. I'd never noticed how much it would benefit from a diff from road driving alone.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
A pretty reasonable price. The diff is well worth it, the gripper is in my opinion the best mod I have done to mine, including the supercharger and the cage etc.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Chi