ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup v Fiesta ST at Llandow

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Peugeot 308
Jesus, traffic light grand prix between a clio and a fiesta? Yawn..

But if that's the standard...bare in mind the fiesta has power restrictions in 1st and 2nd.
Id be intrigued to do how a 1*2 vs a Fiesta St rolling in 3rd onwards goes? Or is it 0-60 outside McDonalds only?

Peugeot 308
yawn

its obvious the fiesta is cheaper to get power out of?

Different strokes for blokes, if you like an engine that runs out of puff like a diesel, get the fiesta. If you like to stretch a cars legs, then go for the clio.

:tonguewink:

Surprised there's been no old vs new comments yet

Yes, because the fiesta's peak power at 5700rpm or 6200/6300rpm (Mountune) is so far behind a clio's 6250 rpm (give or take?) peak? let's face it... A 1*2 is barely a Rev monster.

Have you even driven a fiesta St?

clio 172 phase 2
Yes, because the fiesta's peak power at 5700rpm or 6200/6300rpm (Mountune) is so far behind a clio's 6250 rpm (give or take?) peak? let's face it... A 1*2 is barely a Rev monster.

Have you even driven a fiesta St?
182 0-100MPH 17.3 SEC. ST 0-100MPH 18.4SEC, STOCK TIMES TESTED!

Lots of bullshit being spoken in here.

Put it this way, I have had 3 Clio 182s over the years, and I can safely say the ST is leaps and bounds the better car in pretty much every way.

I wouldn't take a Clio over the ST at any time. The Clio is old hat now, people need to realise that.

It's a cheap, fun, nimble and nippy little car. Times have moved on though.

I recently test drove a 182 (was looking at one for a second car) and my god did it feel gutless when accelerating upto the ST(down to having feck all torque). I had also forgotten how appauling bad the seating position is too - not to mention the quality of the cabin materials!

Last edited:
  clio 172 phase 2
Lots of bullshit being spoken in here.

Put it this way, I have had 3 Clio 182s over the years, and I can safely say the ST is leaps and bounds the better car in pretty much every way.

I wouldn't take a Clio over the ST at any time. The Clio is old hat now, people need to realise that.

It's a cheap, fun, nimble and nippy little car. Times have moved on though.

I recently test drove a 182 (was looking at one for a second car) and my god did it feel gutless when accelerating upto the ST(down to having feck all torque). I had also forgotten how appauling bad the seating position is too - not to mention the quality of the cabin materials!
Tested times show the Fiesta is slower, when both car's are stock.
Fiesta is still a nippy car though!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Yawn!
Lol at 1*2's making 6.6 0-60
Book figure was 6.9, and everyone knows books figures aren't realistic

Peugeot 308
On track they're similar. On road the ST would romp away at every opportunity unless the 172 drove everywhere in 2nd gear at 5,000 rpm just in case.

Even then a 172 would run out of puff pretty shortly.

Agreed! But..mark your forgetting that unless we're doing 0-60, the fiesta is slower... Real world driving situations do not apply!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Yawn!
Lol at 1*2's making 6.6 0-60
Book figure was 6.9, and everyone knows books figures aren't realistic
I have timed mine at 6.6/6.8 (via three methods, GPS (I wrote an app to do it pretty accurately) / RST / beam breakers set to fire a dslr).

Like @Matthew says though, its all about 30-100. 0-60 is f**king pointless.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
As said, 30-70 is where it really matters on the road. The fiestas low down torque advantage would happily see it ahead of the Clio.

Evo magazine

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
As said 0-60 times are for the pub. I love the look of the fiesta, and i guess it drives spot on too. Maybe one day.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
The ST was 1.1 seconds quicker round the top gear test track. But Clio fan boi is only interested in 0-60 sprints between McDonalds windows.

FAST TIMES. STIG. EVO MAGAZINE.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
So many muppets in here, on the road the Fiesta is faster, overtaking from 40mph is faster and far easier in the Fiesta. Plus the fiesta has heated seats.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
0-60... oh dear.

Unless you're thrashing the Clio the Fiesta is faster. On the track, well if you spend 15k on a newish standard Fiesta or 15k on a shonky Clio. The Clio will be the fastest around the circuit quite easily, but you'd have to be mad to spend that on an old Clio...woops! Yes you could argue that you could spend 15k on mods on the Fiesta, but then its 30k vs 15k. When they ST comes down in price it'll be a great track car with some money thrown at it.

Anyway, real world driving on the road the Fiesta is quicker, quieter, more refined and comfier A to B. I've test driven the new Clio 200 EDC and the Fiesta ST and I own a 230bhp/tonne ITBd 172, normal driving there's nothing in it between the two turbo cars but my 172 needs working harder. A standard 172/182 feels slow in comparison.

As an aside, have they done anything with the dash yet? I heard Ford were going to change it and I hate the massive mobile phone/radio combination they stuck in the middle of the Fiesta dash.

Clio 182
Erm, evo mag

Fiesta st

Faster

Mines better than yours

0 to 60 faster than a space rocket

On a side note, I enjoyed the video very much :)

This is an amusing thread, made my lunch slightly better than mediocre.

p.s. serious question, do you dribble all the time or just at night 0-100mph ?

I ask because this:

fERumf3.png

EVO magazine.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
What an odd thread. The cars are so different really. A very unadvanced N/A versus current turbo tech, a current very rigid chassis against a 4 star Ncap car, a good chunk of difference in weight and so on. Things have just moved on. I'm sure in the right circumstances a cup could remind an ST driver why the cup has it's fan club but it's just old now. It's ace up it's sleeve is purely it's weight. It just doesn't have the low end grunt, traction or grip of newer cars. Also how many cups are factory fresh. On track I can surprise a few newer cars in my cup but that's purely down to having more track time than them so I can push my car harder if I wish. Also the torque advantage only really comes into play out of low speed corners where the cups lack of traction on lock and lack of low rev grunt by today's standards doesn't really help and on long climbs or very long straights. A fiesta St could use 3rd where the cup is in 2nd fighting to put it down.

I followed an S5 at a recent track day and whilst he pulled a good distance on me on the straights whatever, the amount of extra distance he gained out of a corner due to his extra traction as well as grunt against just a straight drag when we were passing traffic and my front wheels were pointing straight was very noticeable.

Out on the road as has been said the cup would have to be armed and ready to take on an ST in an in gear duel. My re-mapped 206 hdi has the same 3rd gear only 30-70 time as my cup.

I personally don't like turbos but there is no denying that the ST is a very capable car. I wouldn't take one on off the lights either as it's so easy to screw up 1st in a Clio and end up not far up the rev range in 2nd and negate that weight advantage before the fiesta can really exploit it's grunt. Especially if it's a mountune one!

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
What an odd thread. The cars are so different really. A very unadvanced N/A versus current turbo tech, a current very rigid chassis against a 4 star Ncap car, a good chunk of difference in weight and so on. Things have just moved on. I'm sure in the right circumstances a cup could remind an ST driver why the cup has it's fan club but it's just old now. It's ace up it's sleeve is purely it's weight. It just doesn't have the low end grunt, traction or grip of newer cars. Also how many cups are factory fresh. On track I can surprise a few newer cars in my cup but that's purely down to having more track time than them so I can push my car harder if I wish. Also the torque advantage only really comes into play out of low speed corners where the cups lack of traction by today's standards doesn't really help and on long climbs or very long straights.

Out on the road as has been said the cup would have to be armed and ready to take on an ST in an in gear duel. My re-mapped 206 hdi has the same 3rd gear only 30-70 time as my cup.

I personally don't like turbos but there is no denying that the ST is a very capable car.

It's not that odd at all really. Hot hatch vs hot hatch but this thread has got silly. Only really by one personal though. Cough "Evo times" cough
Off topic, do you work in Avonmouth? I saw a cup the other day. I notice you say pharmacy driver so maybe Movianto?

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I should hope the 10+ year younger ST is quicker than the 182 but to be fair to the clio its not lightyears behind which isnt bad considering its old and isnt forced fed its air

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
We'll agree to disagree as to the odd comparison. I don't think it's a case of hot hatch vs hot hatch anymore. The new stuff is just so capable. Not the your car has had to loose something to gain something scenario of old. I used to compete in a class that would allow a 1.8t car of any age to compete against a 1.8 N/A car of any age which is why I think it's an odd comparison. As in many cases the 1.8 car had absolutely no hope of a podium place. Especially with the Cup being over 10 years old and now cars are so rigid and direct injected and turbo'd. No I don't. I go out once a week if that and either go out to Bristol airport from Keynsham or down the ring road to Chuck some V-power then up the M4 and then down the A46 and A420 to go home. Usually late at night. Less morons about.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I wonder how reliable the ecoboosts will be as the cars age. I've read about problems of the valves getting sooted up on the various ecoboost engines due to the direct injection

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Car magazine times can be useful. 60-100 is very comparable for track use. I think if I had an ST and it lost in a 3rd gear pull to a cup I'd take it back. I got done by a re-mapped Ibiza tri off a mini roundabout a little while ago and I was in 2nd but doing about 20mph and he was gone in a huge cloud of smoke. I would have had to have gone way over the speed limit to claw it back so I went back to Pottering. RS tuner helps but not like a sorted turbo.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I wonder how reliable the ecoboosts will be as the cars age. I've read about problems of the valves getting sooted up on the various ecoboost engines due to the direct injection
Have you seen what they put the V6 through in testing? Video is on YouTube somewhere. I think they'll last well if serviced properly. Standing up to neglect and abuse only time will tell

Short journeys will remain engines nemesis for a long time to come I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.