ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup/type r/impreza turbo

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
FPMSL - Mmmmmmm 106 drivers = Sad people who cant afford owt. :rolleyes:

Can afford leather tho!

hhhmmmmmmm
cup1206014.jpg

cup drivers cant afford leather

;)

Impreza P1
Scoobies are so more easy to extract power from though, and I sold the cup so why would I buy another i sold it because i wanted 4wd and a turbo.

It's personal preference everyone will defend their renault to the death, which is why most people on here say get a Clio.

I find reading unbiased reviews are always the best method of choosing a Motor

Milltek'd 182
my mum has a CTR and i have a 182. I like the civic feels more refined. I havent driven a 172, but my car feels faster in the 0-60 range and i think is overall more fun to drive, and the power delivery is better as the ctr is all top end 'on cam'; although i like the ctr 6 speed box. they are about the same tbh I didnt like the ctr only having two seats in the back though. Maybe go for a 182/ trophy for more of a 'best of both worlds'??
But i suppose it has to be said....i bought a 182 not a type r!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yes, thats true of any turbo car :), but maybe he doesnt want to mod it, and if thats the case i'd go for a CUP/CTR. If its a UK wrx or classic, you'll be dissapointed, heavy, slow (for what they are) and thirsty etc

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
CUP/CTR then imo. When i'm changing mine, i'll either get a (slower ;) ) 182 as they are newer, or a facelift CTR in black or grey ;)

You wont get an induction 'roar' on any turbo car, as its forced induction. You will get a little 'flutter' on throttle lift off... this will be the recirculating dump valve dumping the excess boost back into the intake. I also believe an induction kit, if not fitted properly to an impreza can cause MAF sensor faults due to vibration.

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Hmmm...on the topic of upgrades i think for my next car i'll be after a Trophy or a 182 Cup.
Want to keep in the Renault camp i think....despite the niggles i think they have real character and are a right hoot.

Impreza P1
Im test driving a UK WRX Friday i'll let you guys know the verdict.

Apparently 0-62 in 5.7 seconds not bad I suppose as it's only 225bhp but Power Engineerings Power Pack Upgrade boosts it too. 265bhp and I think 250ft/lbs of Torque with just a remap, back box and a Panel filter.

I loved the Cup as it was fookin awesome to drive and throw about the three wheel action was immense lol.

Its your choice fella drive all 3 cars see how it goes.

Plus if you have a Cup the boys and girls on here a super helpful and really nice peeps

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Im test driving a UK WRX Friday i'll let you guys know the verdict

It will feel faster, as the power all comes in one big shove, then it tails off where as the clio is spread pretty evenly till 6k. In reality it wont be any quicker untill you up the boost etc.

Impreza P1
Im test driving a UK WRX Friday i'll let you guys know the verdict

It will feel faster, as the power all comes in one big shove, then it tails off where as the clio is spread pretty evenly till 6k. In reality it wont be any quicker untill you up the boost etc.

Cool cheers fella any more info I should know about, standard boost. Normal driving as the Cup was pretty good crawling in traffic etc etc.

Also the way it's planted to the road id imagine it would be more stable than the Blue Beast aka CUP

Impreza P1
Is it a bug-eye? They're extra ugly.

I love extra Ugly you aint met me bird lol;)

Yeah it's a bug eye although any Impreza isn't exactly known for their shire good looks.

Will have Morette's though and has a STI high spoiler and a Pro drive exhaust

FOR SALE!!!
all i caa really say on this is my 18YR old mate had just got a p1 scooby cost him 10k and its fu**ing gorugoes and it is just so quick i never really seen a scooby boot it but when he did in in that f**k me i fell in love str8 away but i bet in a few months it will bite him when he relishes how much its costing him to run it

zs180
if you have any self respect you wont go for the clio as they have no street cred what so ever clio's were designed for women and hair dressers
performance you will have to rant the gonads off of it to get it moving at any respectable pace
in fact a carolla will beat it off the mark
early scoobies are for chav's and most early scoob's have been driven by morons and will have had the living daylights thrashed out of them

if you are restricted to the three in your list then go for the R type

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
if you have any self respect you wont go for the clio as they have no street cred what so ever clio's were designed for women and hair dressers
performance you will have to rant the gonads off of it to get it moving at any respectable pace
early scoobies are for chav's and most early scoob's have been driven by morons and will have had the living daylights thrashed out of them

Comming from a zs owner :rolleyes:

Now, what did evo say about the 182 cup/trophy, ah yes, best hot hatch ever etc, now where was the issue with the zs? oh there wasnt one. :(

sorry.

zs180

Now, what did evo say about the 182 cup/trophy, ah yes, best hot hatch ever etc, now where was the issue with the zs? oh there wasnt one. :(

sorry.

and top gear have been telling us for years that skoda is the best dont believe everything you read in the media:S

zs180

sorry.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
strangled because tvr's, rover's, mgs are all shite and behind the times. Dont you think the mg zt with its 4.6 litre ancient only 260bhp engine proved that

summary

your car = a tarty rover 416 with a bigger engine, which are s**t anyway

mg zr = far behind the times, they got introduced in 95/96 with the rover chassis, which was crap then

mg tf = couldnt make a better car than the previously "not as good as a mx5" model, so just gave it different headlights

cityrover = a rebadged, over priced tata. desperate attempts, and the fate of rover.

zs180
robhardy you put forward such a well educated arguement "they are s**te":rolleyes: is that the best you can do?????
really i hope your not typical of Clio owners you will give them a bad name

Impreza P1
Most people on here are cool mate but I have found there are a few idiots .

Gt gaz is cool though and Rob hardy , just defending their corner thats all

Clio 172 mk2
Mate, I used to work for Subaru and wouldn't recommend buying one.

WRX - underpowered for a car of its size, like someone said earlier, they are anything but quick

STi - Rear shockers last about 3 months, Rear Diffs whine their tits off and the Variable Centre Diffs are prone to whining aswell.

P1 - awesome cars but anywhere near 60,000 miles and your looking towards and engine rebuild

And iv only drove one CTR but i didnt see what all the fuss was about, nothing out of the ordinary.

Just my honest thoughts on the matter

Thats interesting im looking at a Scooby on Friday 02 plate , but all the reviews I have read and i've read lots have had 9 0r 10 out of 10 for reliability.

So now im just confused mate . :dapprove:

Very reliable..if you find one that has been looked after.

Awsome performance but easy to get used to....you'll end up spending a lot of money going for more power.

Megane Trophy, Golf

sorry.

and top gear have been telling us for years that skoda is the best dont believe everything you read in the media:S

FPMSL - at this guy :lolup: what a total fookwit! and he's calling clios a hairdressers car and he drives a Rollover, why oh why do they do it! get on your own forum if there is one LOL

J

jbaddeley

I ran an non WR RB5 for nearly four years before buying a tuned cup. My decision was mainly based on running costs and the fact that cups following in my scoob seemed quite quick. I then did some research and got good advice from Yozzasport before getting my clio. This is our second car now as we also bought a TDi golf, however I drive it daily. It is much better on petrol, much lighter on tyres even including the odd trackday, cheaper to insure with all mods declared and feels almost as quick as the scoob. Financially it was the right move, however I might return the scoobymark again at some point when my wallet can take the bashing. The main reason for this is probably that the overall build quality, combination of compliant ride and handling are better ( on road). I wouldn't buy a new one though, a classic with low miles. If you choose a scoby you won't be dissapointed, but mine cost me £4000 to run in 40 months including all servicing, no tyres. So far in one year my cup has cost me £580, but that was including a brake package upgrade from Yozzasport.

Focus ST
Have you thought about an EVO??

I had the pleasure of driving a Scoody and an EVo back to back. EVO won hands down.

Better acceleration and better steering (IMO)....

Impreza P1
Had my scooby for a week now , getting used to it, feels alot nicer car than my Cup to be in and very fast for what it is and that flat 4 rumble is so so nice.

Not as chuckable but cornering ability and handling at speed is good from what I have seen so far.

We will have to wait a few months to see if I can conclude this little section.

clio 172 cup
I had probably the ultimate Impreza.

Full WR kit, AP brakes GEMS ECU with Antilag, Whiteline ARBs poly bushed. Awesome car. Unrivalled pace. Best noise on the planet. Was an event just going to the shops in it.

Running costs for the 2.5 years I had it were 18k. That does not include buying (or tuning it 10k+ LOL!). Just running it, services, fuel insurance etc. 4 figure service bills were commonplace, as were 160 miles to a tankful.

Due to a change of circumstances I now drive a 172 Cup.
Clio costs peanuts and is more chuckable.

Fun, I've learned, isn't measured by how much you can spend.

Daz

I went from 172 (several actually) to a CTR to an 05 WRX PPP and can recommend them all, but all for different reasons. Certainly none of them are s**t as some people seem to think.

The CTR was more reliable than the Clio, didn't seem to suffer from the constant stream of niggly annoying problems that the Clio did (airbag lights, knocking suspension, exhausts rotting through every 12k, rattles etc etc). CTR had similar fuel consumption to the Clio, the WRX has depressingly worse than both.

The Clio and the CTR were both more 'chuckable' (as someone said!) than the WRX is, but the WRX does make you feel like a rally god through country roads :eek: Oh, and it feels more on a par with the Honda than the Clio build wise, is much quieter and both and sounds fantastic without being too in your face with the Prodrive exhaust.

And finally, on the MG ZS argument, I had one of those before the 172 and loved it. More reliable than the Clio, handling every bit as good, engine sounded much better and great fun to drive. Almost identical performance all round imho...

But which to get....if you want a hot hatch, go for the CTR (sorry Clio people ;) ) and if you want a 4WD turbo saloon and can afford the extra running costs of an Impreza, you won't be disappointed. They do have a completely different feel to drive than a hot hatch though so it'd be mad to decide without thorough test drives of all.

M2 Competition
Ive driven a scooby a fair bit (tuned uk300), and own a cup. In my experience, the scooby is pretty quick (although never feels it) but not much fun.

Feels like you're going much quicker, and handling feels much better on a cup. Also, for the price of a cup, you're not looking at much impreza.

You thought about integra type-r?

Id pick one of those over the ctr anyday.