ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track Project

Following this thread.

Picked her up last night!

7285263912_bd6ed64393_z.png

Clio 172 Cup by Tom Cash, on Flickr

7285263588_5ece8b3c19_z.png

Clio 172 Cup by Tom Cash, on Flickr

She's borderline a minter!

Did a full HPI check, no write offs, no finance or anything else worth worrying about.

December 2003 registered, 59k, full service history, belts done, MOT, TAX, etc.

The bodywork has the mandatory scratches and imperfections, but nothing £100-£200 and a dent removal guy couldn't fix!

The inside is in great condition too.

After a 2 hour drive home with the windows down and up, there wasn't any knocking, squeaking, grinding - nothing. I would almost say, it's less faulty than my 197!

Once back in Wolverhampton me and Chris (in his 182) went for a blast down some smaller A roads and there was no issues at all. Handles well, brakes well and had no issues keeping up with the 182. Even destroyed a Fiesta ST that fancied its chances - just like you'd expect.

It's awesome! Love it through and through and I can't wait to begin work on it.

The plan is roughly as follows:

Stage 1: Restoration
- Remove stickers
- Give a really good clean
- Maybe debadge
- Wet sand lights
- Satin black grilles
- 172 stickers back on door pillars
- Take it to a garage to get a once over and address any issues there.
- Restore exterior paintwork/dents.
- Get wheels refurbished in silver with Mondial blue diamonds.
- Get it detailed.

Stage 2: Performance mods
- New tyres (not sure what, yet)
- Bilstein coilovers
- Piper or Yozza Stealth
- Filter and remap
- Maybe an ARB

Stage 3: Stripping/Track Prep
- Remove most of the interior parts without function, bar the dash
- Bucket seats (unsure as to whether to get fixed or not)
- Racing wheel (already purchased a Sabelt one)
- Cage and harnesses
- Interior respray

There's no doubt a few things I've not thought about there, but I will when it comes. That's just a rough outline. :)

Watch this space!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Some decent plans there Tom. I would really consider the ARB. And it's going to cost a fortune for those pillar badges :(

Had a good blast didn't we. And that fiesta st didn't stand a chance. ;)

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Honestly mate your welcome. It was good to get out the garden mate ;) and its all about the cliosport.net members helpfulness :)
Good luck with the project. And if ever you need a hand doing some of the things on the car then give me a shout.

looking good Tom!! nice plans too pop it into TCR in wednesbury for a check over and some tips on track prepping etc after all they did race them;)

Plus you can see what the venga bus would look like stripped and prepped:rasp:

Which one is running on the RRday?? both:p

Tom, Brembo HC discs and Ferodo DS2500s with braided lines and 5.1 fluid are all you need.
I think I need to look into this... Cheers Adam. :)

looking good Tom!! nice plans too pop it into TCR in wednesbury for a check over and some tips on track prepping etc after all they did race them;)

Plus you can see what the venga bus would look like stripped and prepped:rasp:

Which one is running on the RRday?? both:p
Cheers man. I was going to bring the 172 to the RR, but tax runs out this week!!! :( Dunno if I wanna tax it for the sake of one RR day and one track day... Think I'll be bringing the bus. :D

Bit of a pointless update, but here are some of the bits I've got for it on the cheap, so far. I purchased these before I even had the car!

7300401648_8c32847770_z.png

172 Bits by Tom Cash, on Flickr

I need a boss and resister for the wheel, but the likelihood of this going on any time soon is slim.

Same with the tow bar.

I will be putting all the FCS stickers on the windscreen. I don't know where to put the F1 stickers yet. I may put the PFC sticker on a side window, with maybe a clio197.net and a ClioSport sticker.