ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Santa Pod

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Today I went to Santa Pod for RWYB and signed the clio on. My best was a 14.6 but tbh, I could have got a better time if I knew how to launch the clio without it spinning. It was rather slippy today.

This said, an E46 M3 was doing a 14.7 average, so I guess I can't complain too much

RA52ACO-1.jpg

th_RA52ACO.jpg

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Power: 181.2 bhp and 165 ftlb At Surrey Rolling Road Ltd

Engine:
Ktec Decat
Full Ktec Stealth Exhaust
JMS Performance Remap with Over Run
K&N Panel Filter
Silicon Hose for Air Filter to Throttle Body
Oil Breather
Engine Cover Custom Spray
Ktec Solid Engine Mounts
Polyflex Dog Bone
Blue Hose Kit

Suspension:
Vmaxx Coilovers (running -1.5 degrees camber)
OMP Front & Rear Strut Braces

Brakes:
Brembo High Carbon Discs
Ferodo DS2500 Pads
Braided Brake Lines

Wheels/Tires:
Polarized Wheel Bolts
Polarized Locking Nuts
Michelin Pilot Sport 3's All Round

Exterior:
New Style RS Badges

(Just a copy paste job)

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah they don't weigh much, more out and you would be even faster :)

i manged 14.2 in my old itb'd 172, though that was with half tank of fuel and not stripped (still even had the spare in lol)

any more plans for it mate?

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Well I want more power but I'm at the stage now where I'm like....£800 for cams but I might as well spend the extra and get ITBs, then I'm like well since I've spent £2,000 + I might as well go supercharger lol but then the other half of me is saying, "It's only worth £2,500 max, is it really worth it?" But next months pay I'm 50/50 with the
1808367378424040_1.jpg

Bimarco Futura with Renault Sport stitching. What you think? Seats or no seats. I want to keep the rear stripped now as the car sounds mental on full chat inside lol

53 Clio's & counting
What seats do you have at the moment mate? If you still have the standard ones then by god yes get rid lol

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
yes, still the cheap grey cloth that are as sportive as a Taliban Solder in the British Army

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah get them gone mate, makes a huge difference to the driving position having a better seat mounted lower down

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah get them gone mate, makes a huge difference to the driving position having a better seat mounted lower down

Defo.

Which are the major contributors to shedding weight tho? The rear bench in my Cup weighs F all, so when people 'strip' their cars by taking out the rear seats, I'm baffled as to how this makes any difference?! Surely going for a dump before you drive would do more!?

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
lol I'll agree with you there...the rear bench is f all! Just sounds epic in the cockpit though.

You know what's coming though don't you...."Because Race Car" lol

If I go for these seats I'll have to keep the rear stripped anyway for MOT as the seats don't split. Is this correct?

53 Clio's & counting
Tbh from my experience you go full out or not at all.

For a bit of reference, my old mk1 Clio hybrid (1.8 16v with a Williams engine) ran 14.3-14.4 all day long at Pod, once i had stripped it i got that down to 14.0 all day.

i took out the rear seats, all boot and rear trims, all a b and c pillar trims, spare wheel and cage, stereo, rear wiper and electrics and boot trims, carpet, sound proofing and roof lining.

Guy who bought it off me went further by fitting poly windows, and cutting stuff like door metal out and dropped the time to 13.8

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah spose that would all add up. Less weight = better MPG too for the mingebag in me! For now I like my rear seats and parcel shelf cos it muffles the f**king irritating knocking of my exhaust on the rear axle over bumps that I just can NOT get rid of totally!!!!

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
wow, 14.3 in a mark 1...thats quick! then to get it down to a 13.8 :cheers: fair play.

TBH, I couldnt go all they way (Dash etc etc as its my daily, and I like a tiny bit of a nice scene lol instead of wires, metal etc)

53 Clio's & counting
I hated my exhaust knocking, then i bought a yozza and never had exhaust issues again - wish i had bought one from the start, i spent 40,000 miles trying different exhausts lol.

Wish tjey did a yoz for the mk1 :( may have to ask Fred to knock something up lol

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Yeah spose that would all add up. Less weight = better MPG too for the mingebag in me! For now I like my rear seats and parcel shelf cos it muffles the f**king irritating knocking of my exhaust on the rear axle over bumps that I just can NOT get rid of totally!!!!

I had that, but I had some warranty work done by ktec (cracked decat) and they kindly raised the exhaust up for me. Basically, if you have a stealth you only want to see the tip of the exhaust. Before I went to ktec, you could see a 1/4 of my back box. But knocking has now stopped :D

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah I'm tempted to flog it and get another exhaust. Kinda like my scorpion though, it's not actually that loud.

I'm gonna get banned for this, but I'm not too keen on these Yozza's! Sound a bit OTT and raspy to me. Had a piper on my ph1 and that never knocked at all.

Sorry for hijacking your santa pod thread mate! What happened to that Golf anyway?!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I had that, but I had some warranty work done by ktec (cracked decat) and they kindly raised the exhaust up for me. Basically, if you have a stealth you only want to see the tip of the exhaust. Before I went to ktec, you could see a 1/4 of my back box. But knocking has now stopped :D

How did they do it mate? Do they just reheat and bend the pipes a little? Mine needs fettling ASAP! It knocks over speed bumps and when you set off it does it too.

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
lol its cool.

I'm not sure tbh, I think just abit of undoing brackets and twisting I think. I didn't see any heat or anything to bend pipes. Give them a call tomo as ask how it is suppose to sit etc. I'm sure they will help

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
You could easily get that into the 13's with a good launch and no weight inside.

For Reference I had my car comfortably stripped and lost 70kg's out of it. 90-100kg stripped is easily achievable though.

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
I shall have to go searching...."don't need that....." lol and front seats soon to be changed

big boost cup
not a bad time that. cant wait to get mine back on the strip in a month or so. get some proper tires on there and your be laughing

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Well I'm glad 14.6 is a respectable time. If I'm honest I was a little gutted as I did some research on here before I left and I read a lot of low 14s lol

As for tires, I was just using standard road tires (Michelin PS3) at normal road pressure as I couldnt be arsed to arse about with PSI lol

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Well I'm glad 14.6 is a respectable time. If I'm honest I was a little gutted as I did some research on here before I left and I read a lot of low 14s lol

As for tires, I was just using standard road tires (Michelin PS3) at normal road pressure as I couldnt be arsed to arse about with PSI lol

Low 14s FLOL i have been goin to pod for years and have yet to see low 14s from a 1*2 !!
Low 15s is the usual times they run but more likley to be 15.5-15.7 without mods .

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Low 14s FLOL i have been goin to pod for years and have yet to see low 14s from a 1*2 !!
Low 15s is the usual times they run but more likley to be 15.5-15.7 without mods .

well with that said, I guess I should be happy with a 14.6 lol

big boost cup
Is that part of the new scoreboard thing they have going on there. or just there new way of doing the timing slips

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Their new timing slips I believe. The first 3 runs they said there was a problem with the timer which is rather annoying

big boost cup
Oh right, when are you next up there then as nobody seems to be that intrested on here other than Vickyx

53 Clio's & counting
Oh right, when are you next up there then as nobody seems to be that intrested on here other than Vickyx

Iv been going 3-6ish times a year for the past 13 years lol, mostly RWYB's and 5 ultimate street cars, until they got faaaaar too chavvy.

Will be heading up within the next 6 weeks, il have a look and the calendar and we should get a few of us to go

big boost cup
Iv been going 3-6ish times a year for the past 13 years lol, mostly RWYB's and 5 ultimate street cars, until they got faaaaar too chavvy.

Will be heading up within the next 6 weeks, il have a look and the calendar and we should get a few of us to go

Sounds good to me so excited about my new setup to see how it performs.

53 Clio's & counting
With that proper box you should be bloody quick if you can get grip, and even if you can't your terminals well easily be the right side of 100 mph