ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup rev limit?

clio sport 172 cup
right my 172 cup used to rev to about 7.4 rpm and now it seems to have lost some revs :S hitting the limit at 6.8 rpm now, anybody got any ideas as to why its doing this now?

cheers lee

clio sport 172 cup
yeah its still doing it when upto full running temp, i changed the battery last week as it was fooked could that have anything to do with it?

BMW M5 & E36
Should rev to ~7.2k when warm, more than likely the CTS. Battery shouldn't have anything to do with it.

172 cup
hi whats a coolant temp sensor problem. as mine has a coolant symbol come on at the side of the speedo . where is the sensor on the engine... thanks garry

Max. engine speeds for a coolant temperature < 75°C 6,700 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 1st or 2nd gear 7,200 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 3rd, 4th or 5th speed 7,000 rpm

Could be CTS, or thermostat, does the needle sit just above or just below or bang on in the middle?

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Are you trying it right after the needle gets up to temp.? Or are you giving it a good 20 min run before trying it?

IIRC the sensor/trigger for it is based on oil not water temp. as displayed on the dash, and oil temp takes a while longer to reach optimum.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Are you trying it right after the needle gets up to temp.? Or are you giving it a good 20 min run before trying it?

IIRC the sensor/trigger for it is based on oil not water temp. as displayed on the dash, and oil temp takes a while longer to reach optimum.

clio sport 172 cup
How old is the oil? Needs the correct grade and nice clean oil for the dephaser to work correctly.

not sure mate but the dephaser is quite noisy when engine is warm,so i know that is could possibly need changing but got some oil and filter and a flush today so ill get that done at weekend and see if it helps at all,also got a new cts so ill whack that in also.

cheers for help everyone

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
mine has a slight MPG problem. it revs to 7250 though, but the temp gauge on the dash keeps moving from just under the middle and back to the middle again (even after 1 hour of normal driving)
what should I look for at first? (lambda will be changed in the future) are these symthoms likely related to the CTS or the thermostat?
thx!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
anyone knows the part numbers on these? wanna buy them from renault
sorry for not mentioning in the 1st post

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Changed today these two, here are the part numbers if anyone's interested:

thermostat: 8200 772 985
CTS: 8200 561 449
thermostat gasket: 8200 267 272
the new thermostat came with a new gasket (wish renault knew that before advising to buy it! :mad: )