ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Rear Brake Efficiency

172 Cup
Hello

My car failed it's MOT yesterday for the following:

001 Nearside rear brake recording little or no effort.
002 Offside rear brake recording little or no effort.

The rear brakes have been changed recently however the MOT tester said that they were recording nothing when testing them.

I've now since found the VOSA document on here and will be taking that with me for my re-test. However, i'm concerned the fact the rear brakes aren't recording anything - does anyone have any advice please?

I've got a picture of the brake test here:

2zdw12b.jpg

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Jack it up and get a friend to press the pedal while you try and turn it. If they aren't working at all you see.

Mine are half rusty and passed an MOT at a Renault dealer so something is weird!

Get a little cleaner every track day!

Does the handbrake work? Seems to according to that. Like I said do the turn by hand test. If they lock solid I can't see the problem. Stick a wheel brace on one of the wheel nuts and see if it turns while braked.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The 172 cups are specifically excluded in the MOT through the above document.

The rear brakes are pretty much isolated by tying off the brake bias valve. This is to stop them locking under heavy braking due to the lack of ABS. Rear wheels locking = very, very bad.

Show the tester the above document, and ask for a retest.

172 Cup
Thanks for the help guys. I jacked the car up today and the handbrake works perfectly. However, when I press the brake pedal it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

Will speak to the MOT testers tomorrow regarding the document from VOSA and see where that gets me.