ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - Modifications

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a standard 172 cup and am thinking of doing some mods. I've read a lot on here (awesome resource) and know that i wont see any big power increases without spending mega bucks.

The car is my daily although i do plan to use it on track a bit (as i only live 45 mins away from the Nurburgring :D i am looking particularly for mods which will improve the noise (wanna phat smile on my face when i floor it!), handling as well as improving the look of the car. If it also improves performance a little as well then that is an added bonus (i don't want to do anything that will lessen the performance). I am not looking to spend thousands but equally i've got a bit some cash to spend on this.... (maybe a couple of grand over the next 12 months)

What i would be grateful for advice on is specific mods others have put on their 172 cup which they really rate, and ideally specific links, costs/details etc. I would also appreciate advice on how difficult a job it is to fit yourself. I have a good garage across the road but would want a rough idea of how long the work will take to factor it into the cost.

From the research i have done so far the yozza exhaust sounds good (not sure whether they are stealth or not??) and maybe a jms or maxogen induction kit (i know there are differing views on this). I am sure there are lots of others, what can you recommend....

Thanks

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
£2K will get you some decent coilovers, KW V2's are rated well on here, including setting them up properly and fitting and a yozza race exhaust.

You should even have change from that £2K, maybe enough for a r-arb :)

Thanks Jenic, those coilovers look pretty awesome. How long roughly would it take someone who knew what they were doin (not me unfortunately!) to fit/set up do you think?

I've seen others recommend FK Konig-Sport coilovers which might leave more in my budget for other mods although i know you generally get what you pay for.....

Any other suggestions anyone pls.....

KW V2 are good choice for coilovers, addition of an ARB plus getting them set up properly should be good!

Yozza for yours should be the stealth, and engine wise would probably go for jms matched inlets, induction kit and a remap!

One thing i would suggest is do it right the first time with regards to suspension etc!

Stripped yozza'd cup
Yozza make a 'race' system and a 'stealth' system, but because they're made to order, you can get it made as loud or as quiet as you like.

Induction, none of them will give you any power, but the JMS setup won't lose you anything and you'll get a nice bit of noise. Matched inlets and a remap will see you in good order.

Coilovers, KW V2 are the dog's danglies if money is no question.... but if I was you, I'd buy bilstein B14's from Kam racing on here, £704. Will leave you more money for other things. Performance wise, there's nothing better, but they're not adjustable. They'll be getting my money.

If you're impressed with the information available on here already, pay your membership.... then you'll have access to all of the technical guides, discounts, traders section and for sale section. 100% worth every penny.

Stripped yozza'd cup
It's £483 mate... not sure how that would work for you though as you're in Germany. May be better off buying the matched inlets and induction setup and getting an RS tuner.

Lionel Richie
^you don't need adjustable suspension, common myth

Bilsteins and KWs are both brilliant

as for the exhausts Yozzasport systems are availale in 3 types, stealth quiet, Race or stealth race

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

as for the exhausts Yozzasport systems are availale in 3 types, stealth quiet, Race or stealth race

But really, the only one worth getting is the race, as they are awesome lol

Rather not have adjustable, less for me to try n mess up, lol.

Would love either for my 182, damn cup spacing!

I am liking the sound of yozza race- Can anyone point me in the direction of a pic of one fitted to a 172 cup? Thanks also for advice ref suspension, so it doesn't matter that bilsteins are not adjustable? Once it is set up i don't imagine myself messing with it anyway... i think?

Any other mods recommended?

On looks i've seem a lot of mention of a splitter (maybe the carbon ktec one?) and cams?

Whiteline rear anti-roll bar, matched inlets, ktr supersport recessed exhaust, remap, new air filter on the stock system and remove sound deadening and some coilovers! Only coilovers I know are h&r, which I highly recommend but they aren't cheap!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Whiteline rear anti-roll bar, matched inlets, ktr supersport recessed exhaust, remap, new air filter on the stock system and remove sound deadening and some coilovers! Only coilovers I know are h&r, which I highly recommend but they aren't cheap!

Dont think you can go much wrong with that!

Maybe some camber bolts and adjustable top mounts thrown in and renewed brakes (brembo hc discs, ferodo DS2500 best vfm) with flesh fluid and stainless hoses.. not sure on what suspension so many choices personally I love my Konis and a great price!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I run KW V2's on a cup. Excellent bit of kit imo. Plus it helped me on to a 8:53 lap of the ring last summer in a otherwise standard cup. Return trip this summer in my track cup to set a better laptime.