ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP locking it's front left wheel...

2003 172 CUP
Anyone else had this problem??? It only happens when you're really needing to stop quickly, but the front left is locking way before the front right (it's nothing to do with a lack of ABS either...first Dealer I went to tried to fob me off with that!). It's just been to another dealer for the last 2 weeks and had new front calipers and master cylinder, but the problem is still there. They are now saying that they think all the cups are like this, which sounds like s$@t to me. I expecting a call later today to say there is nothing more they can do...any ideas anyone??

New caliper I bet there a few been replaced under warently.
Usually happens to people with harder brake pads or who drive the car hard.

2003 172 CUP
I'm fairly heavy on brakes, but this is the second cup I've owned and the brakes were fine on my first on...its had new discs and pads a few months back too, and it made no difference...

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I had to replace a caliper on mine and even flushing the brake fluid and changing disks and pads it still did it. I'd double check wheel alignment, tyres, tread levels and pressures too.

{Edit} I have had a similar problem on the Mini, albeit the Mini braking system has a front/back split bias and the backs kept locking up. A new brake bias valve sorted that out. I don't know if the Cup has a similar piece of kit or if it has normal front/back split or a diagonal split for instance but perhaps something to consider.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Does it do it if you have a passenger sat in the car?

I know some cup owneres have mentioned at trackdays that if they go out without a passenger the left front locks up more easily due to way the weight is distributed with the driver sat over the right wheel.

Edit: Doh! Mark beat me to it

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Nik said:
Does it do it if you have a passenger sat in the car?

I know some cup owneres have mentioned at trackdays that if they go out without a passenger the left front locks up more easily due to way the weight is distributed with the driver sat over the right wheel.

Edit: Doh! Mark beat me to it

Spot on......If you a fatty like me then the left front will always lock first. I prefer having a passenger in when going on track.

2003 172 CUP
Thanks for the suggestions everyone...Got the car back now and it's a lot better, so there must have been a problem, but sorted now!