ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Brakes

Looking for someone with intimate knowledge of the cup 172, i need confirm the differences between the stock 172/182 abs set up and the non abs set up of the 172 cups?

Stock 182 abs has a m/c (50/50) straight to the abs block and then that controls the braking ratios fore and aft.

Does the 172 have a distribution block?

Cheers
Chris

Cheers Fred, I'm going to pop round to Cliospares and have a look at the 2 they're breaking.

Did you find anything out about the stub axles?

Chris

172 Race Car
172Cup master cylinder has 4 outlets, ABS one has only 2.

172cup has a load valve by the rear axle, I believe this does the job of limiting the bias. Its nt connected to the axle so its set to minimum rear bias witch is why they always fal the mot on rear brake performance.

Get hold of a m/c and load valve from cup and you have the full setup, id run an adjustable bias valve in the rear line too, just to give you some more adjustment.

That's what i intended doing Jay, the cup set up would be damm close too start with, and the bias valve would give me the fine adjustment i'd need.

Not sure if a 4 outlet m/c is the best way though, as it will need bringing in to one for the bias valve, i might look at running the rear brake line down the interior of the car (braided line) and mount the bias valve near the handbrake, then split it to 2 lines once it leaves the cockpit. I'll only need a couple of bulkhead fittings to make a neat job of it.

Also if the cup M/c is just a 25x4 outlet, there is nothing to gain at all.

The sierra m/c we used on some of the older kitcars had 2 outlets for the front and one for the rear, and was pretty much right as standard. All the later kit cars i built ran twin m/c's so bias was adjustable on the bar and piston size.

Looks like i need to get myself round to Cliospares and have a look ;)

Chris

Handbuilt 172 Cup/ 1.2 8v
What does this 172 cup load valve near to the rear beam look like please? i have a cup and have not noticed it whilst rebuilding it. thankyou.
Tom

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but had my MOT today and the advisory was to do with the load valve... For some reason the spring from mine is missing, is there going to be anything negative from not having the spring there or just even less pressure to the rear brakes? Don't know if makes any difference but the rear interior has been removed also>

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Nick