ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup boosted track toy!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Re: 172 Cup track toy!

The loose wheel nust will be down to the paint/powdercoating on the wheels. Tony/Jay at Burpspeed had it iirc.

172 cup, Impreza P1

The loose wheel nust will be down to the paint/powdercoating on the wheels. Tony/Jay at Burpspeed had it iirc.

I have already sanded off the powder from the hub mating face of the wheel as I thought that might be an issue.

Always wondered why some cars have studs and some bolts. Think I know now.

Anyone else done a stud conversion on their hubs? Is it quite straight forward for a decent machine shop?

looked like a good day!

My first outings with the KW's were awesome. except i had the rear end on softest with there being no weight in to prevent it from feeling twitchy, not sure if that is the correct way to do it but for my driving it felt like it was planted. didnt have a single issue!

172 cup, Impreza P1

It was a really good day and lots to look at when the car was cooling down.

Had the rears on soft setting for my first session but there was one corner that the rear kept trying to overtake me. Went in put it to hardest and put the front up a bit and it felt a lot better.

Looking forward to getting the whiteline rear ARB to see what it does but that's a few months away.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I mean the paint/powder coating in the bolt holes, where the wheel bolts meet the wheel.

172 cup, Impreza P1

I mean the paint/powder coating in the bolt holes, where the wheel bolts meet the wheel.

I see, didn't realise this would cause that. Guess the powder coat will wear away the more I remove the wheels.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

I was going to stud convert mine until i realised the above^^

The powdercoat wore down itself after a while, but had some dodgy loose bolt moment!

172 cup, Impreza P1

Nice car! Did you sort the airbag light out with the resistors?

Not yet, I cant seem to work out where I'm going wrong. The black plug on my car doesn't seem to have the same wiring as the one you had. Is the one you were showing for side airbags?

I'm going to have a good play with it at the weekend as the lights are starting to annoy me know.

Any other tips?

172 cup, Impreza P1

I was going to stud convert mine until i realised the above^^

The powdercoat wore down itself after a while, but had some dodgy loose bolt moment!

I'm going to torque them up after every session next Monday now that I know it is an issue. To be honest it is something that I hadn't even thought would be an issue.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Car's booked in again this Friday to get a wee tweek to the suspension set up to help with the slight understeer on exit and the rubbing on the rear. Might put the rear platforms in but the Kenny Brown is dead against it. He thinks its to high at the rear as it is.

I'll see how this set up goes next monday compared to last weekends. I have booked in for some tuition as well so that will probably make more difference than all the modifications I've made so far.

Also need to get a boss for the new Sabelt steering wheel. Anyone know where is best to get them from and if Momo or OMP are better to suited to a Phase 2?

172 cup, Impreza P1

Got my new Sabelt Renaultsport steering wheel, spacer and boss so thought i'd crack on getting them fitted. After getting the perfect seating position for my legs I thought the wheel was a bit of a stretch but the spacer set to 60mm is bang on.

Before:

DSCF1568.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

and after:

DSCF1570.jpg

DSCF1569.jpg

DSCF1571.jpg

The driving position is now just the way I like it. Feels like a Cup racer driving position now. Just need to get the gearstick position sorted now but not sure how yet.

Also got the car checked over at Kenny Brown Engineering today to make sure all the geometery is ok for the Renaultsport track day at Knockhill on Monday. I got the rear suspension platforms put back in and a touch more camber on the front.

I'll see how the car feels but the weather looks like it'll be really wet so might be able to push the car too much anyway. We'll see!

clio 182

Your building a really nice well specced car mate, be good to see it on Monday!

172 cup, Impreza P1

Yours too mate!

Really hope the weather is not piss poor as I don't really have any tyres for the rain, just some pe2's with about 3mm tread.

See you Monday.

172 cup, Impreza P1

It's been a while but got some stuff done today and took pics of the other jobs I've been doing over the last couple of weeks.

Fitted the Whiteline ARB from the group buy:

DSCF1736.jpg

Not sure what difference it makes yet but will be finding out at Knockhill next weekend.

Also got the front ARB bushes fitted and what a pain in the ar5e the centre one are!

DSCF1738.jpg

The K-Tec stealth and standard cat are now off being replaced by a decat and yozza system. Very loud but hopefully people will hear me coming now and move over!

DSCF1735.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy128/Scoobp1/DSCF1737.jpg[/IMG

Last but not least was the V6 airbox and Oil catch tank. Wanted to take the vent pipe to a catch tank rather than into the inlet as we all know every little helps and oil vapour will lower the octane of fuel so....

[ATTACH=full]829430[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]829431[/ATTACH]

Hopefully I'll get time tomorrow to fitted brake ducts from the fog lights. Needs to be done before next saturday. I have got some deflectors being made out of plastic so when I get them home from work they're getting fitted.

Cheers!

Attachments

• DSCF1733.jpg
    DSCF1733.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF1734.jpg
    DSCF1734.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 84
  BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

Nice read and a good choice of upgrades so far. Can you post some pics up please when you get the brake duct deflectors fitted?

172 cup, Impreza P1

Thanks very much mate.

I'll get pics up as soon as I get them fitted.

I've got another brake cooling idea that i might try as well. I'll see how it goes though with the ducts and deflectors first.

172 cup, Impreza P1

looking good. have you use the rs tuner yet ?

Not yet, keep meaning to get it done but wanted to get the filter, Decat and new exhaust on first and get a map to suit. I keep putting it off as computers stuff just pisses me off.

House the mani coming along?

172 cup

I ant all in to the computer stuff as well but its ment to be easy.

Manifold looking good got the injector bosses sorted out just waiting to get a chance to get up to the metal supermarket for some more alloy plate. Got buckets seats going in tomorrow and proper mounts for the engine for when the manifold goes in.
May start a thread tomorrow.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Get that thread started so I can see some pics. Looking forward to seeing this manifold matey.

Will the car be in any state to take to knockhill next weekend? Guessing not by the sounds of things.

172 cup

Na not this week mate. Looking at later in the year once its all mapped would like to try and do it right. Are you going?? Is there any sprint days local i quite fancy them?

172 cup, Impreza P1

I'll be going next weekend. The car loves it and who am I to stop it's fun.

Think there is some hill climb events that are closer but not sure on the rules and regs yet. I wanted to get use to the car and then look at these events for next year.

Maybe see you later this or early next year when the beast is ready.

172 cup, Impreza P1

First track day yesterday with the white line ARB and decatted yozza exhaust.

ARB made the car feel a lot more stable and controllable at speed. Very impressed so far and that only on the softer setting so I might try the harder one next time.

Yozza exhaust sounds epic on track but the Honda boys were still louder! I don't know how a 1.6 vtec can be soooo bloody loud but hey. They were still getting passed no problems.

Didn't have time to get the brake ducts fitted but it gave me a chance to take the disc temps before the change and do a comparison after. I am doing something slightly different so we'll see how that turns out but pics will be posted.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Been meaning a bit of an update for a while but never got round to it.

Managed to get the wishbone bushes fitted. Had a bit of bother getting the sleeves welded but eventually found someone to do it and quite a nice weld if i dont say so myself. After a quick rub down and a lick of hamerite smooth they were fitted.

DSCF1827.jpg

DSCF1829.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of them actually fitted as it was late at night and I was in a rush to get the car ready for Knockhill on saturday morning. When the car was up on axle stands I also removed the Carbon Canister to allow easier access for the brake cooling ducts. They certianly make a difference to brake temps.

I use 100mm ducting onto the fog lamp surround and stuck it with some tiger seal. That stuff stick like sh*t to a blanket! Also used some plastic moulded deflectors which then needed a bit of trimming due to the wheel fouling on full lock.

DSCF1750.jpg

DSCF1842.jpg

Yesterday was my first track outing on 15's as I was using turinis previously. I bought some 2118's which I must say are a very nice looking wheel and look the dogs in the photos i've seen of the car on track. The Pagid RS-4 brake dust is a bugger to get off even after using some Poor Boys wheel sealer. Took me about 30mins to wash them today! :mad:

DSCF1833.jpg

Bought some more goodies for fitting over the winter.

Some carbon door cards and door handle spacers:

DSCF1849.jpg

DSCF1847.jpg

I'll wait till I get the front polycarb windows before fitting so that I dont need to find a home for the electric window switch.

Also got a rear wiper blank to get rid of that and save a few more lbs. Every little helps at the end of the day.

Latest spend is not here yet but when it arrives it should take me to very close to 200bhp and with the addition of some other parts I hope to get to 215-220bhp within the next year.

Cheers!

Clio 172 Cup

Was good meeting you yesterday at Knockhill, it was my first one there so hopefully get down sometime soon again!

Car looks good on the white 2118's!! Here's a pic of the pair of us in action -

http://www.flatoutphotography.com/gallery3/KH0911/KH130301

Do you have any pictures of you're oil catch tank plumbed in? as it's something im wanting to do!

Cheers, Liam

172 cup, Impreza P1

It was good meeting you too. Tidy car you got there!

Seen that one, it's a good shot!

There is a pic on the last page that shows the catch tank and hose. All you need to do is follow the pipe on you inlet elbow and remove it. Put the new hose from the catch tank in its place.

It was a good day yesterday and I even enjoyed the wet laps later in the session. Think I ended up having the track to myself! ha

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Nice project here mate! Looks like a good progress so far, car looks mint on 2118's in white, I've just had some last Friday and fitted with R888. Put them on today, got bilstein B14 on the car, the back is on the lowest setting but it still sits high. Seen that you removed your adjuster so I'll prob do the same. Would be nice to meet you on a track day in the future! Our cups look near enough identical! Check my project thread out

172 cup, Impreza P1

Cheers pal!

I removed the rear adjuster but put it back in as I kept hearing the rear springs knocking as there was nothing to locate on. You could bolt the springs down onto the platforms but I just stuck the platforms back in. It sits low enough for me at the back just now and I like the pointyness with the rear being slightly higher.

That's a good setup you're going for with that combination.

I'll be going a bit further a field next year on my track days so might just see you at one. What's your local track?

I'll take a look at your thread.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Cheers pal!

I removed the rear adjuster but put it back in as I kept hearing the rear springs knocking as there was nothing to locate on. You could bolt the springs down onto the platforms but I just stuck the platforms back in. It sits low enough for me at the back just now and I like the pointyness with the rear being slightly higher.

That's a good setup you're going for with that combination.

I'll be going a bit further a field next year on my track days so might just see you at one. What's your local track?

I'll take a look at your thread.

I've done angelsea twice and that's it, so track days are new to me, but I've caught the bug ;-). thinking of Oulton next?

172 cup, Impreza P1

Bit of an update on the car. I've been working since the new year with the engine swap and other bits and pieces but managed to finally get the engine out today with some help from the mrs who incidently was hung over! What a girl!!

IMG-20120205-00066.jpg

IMG-20120205-00065.jpg

And the engine and box out after a bit of a wrestle.

EastRenfrewshire-20120205-00071.jpg

EastRenfrewshire-20120205-00070.jpg

Old engine and my new one on the stand.

IMG-20120205-00068.jpg

Going to do a bit of a engine bay tidy up now that the engine is out.

IMG-20120205-00067.jpg

EastRenfrewshire-20120205-00072.jpg

Need to remove the sound proofing and fit some heat proof matting as the turbo downpipe is right next to the brake reservoir and also the turbo is very close to the bulkhead.

Also got round to making my front splitter and getting it fitted to the bumper with some stainless tie rods.

EastRenfrewshire-20120205-00073.jpg

EastRenfrewshire-20120205-00074.jpg

Noticed some gearbox oil leaking from the selector so that will be getting looked at as the box is out along witht a helix 4 paddle clutch gettiung fitted.

Sorry about the phone photos but couldnt find the camera. :eek:

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1

Got these back from powder coating today. Going for orange with blue hoses in the bay.

IMGP4391.jpg

Going to get the new engine fitted in over the weekend so fingers crossed.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

Good work mate. Like the look of the powder coated parts. I'm currently thinking of what parts to paint or just tidy up before we get our engine back. Will be interested to see what yours looks like when it's in. Make sure you get some pics up!

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172

Looking Good mate, i removed my engine about 2 months ago, just need to get back on it now and get things sorted !

172 cup, Impreza P1

Wish I'd stripped off the thermostat as well and got that powder coated. Don't worry the pics will keep coming.

The block is currently black, rocker cover is silver along with the inlet manifold. Can't decide what colour to paint the rocker cover and inlet mani to work with the blue hoses and orange covers and mounts.

Currently I'm thinking of giving it a fresh coat of silver or go anthracite.