ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup, 172 or Subaru

I am currently driving a 206 gti (137bhp) which doesnt seem that wick. Was wondering if there is a lot of difference between 206 gti and 172/172 cup in overall performance. If there isnt much between the 0-60 and overtaking grunt of a 172 over my 206 gti, i may go the way of the subaru. (Subaru is only £300 more to insure !)

I have read on evo website and they state that the cup does 0-60 in 6.5 and the normal 172 in 7.1 is this true. Do all the cup 172s blow the normal 172s into the ground.

Ps Im looking at trading my 206 in for about 6500 and putting 3500 in to make 10000. What type of milage/172 am i looking at for this type of money.

10k to spend....you could get 10k mileage on a 172 or cup, possibly even lower mileage. I saw a cup advertised the other day, 6k miles for £9250!

I cant really help you with the scoob though, dont know much about them!

Go for the Cup if you like a raw drivers car or 172 for a bit more refined ride with toys to play with.

If its the UK spec 215 BHP bug eye impreza your looking at then the Cup is exactly the same performance wise to a ton and in gear acceleration etc.....but you get twice the fuel economy when booting it. ( A nailed hard Cup will return consistently 26 - 30 MPG where as a Scoob nailed just as hard will probably be closer to 15!!!!!!)

Test drive them all, and go for the one that most suits. But id put my money on the Cup.

Oh yeah, itll kick the 306 GTi into tough no problem, even the 180 cant quite keep up!!!

Happy blatting.

I dont think that 0-60 tells you much about cars really. The 0-60 of a Williams, for example, is unreflective because youve got to change to 3rd just before 60. The Cup seems to be about 1/2 a second quicker over the 1/4 mile than a 172. Not really that much to be honest between them and again some cars that appear to be behind on the 0-60 do a lot better 0-100 or terminal speeds at the 1/4 mile.

Ive never driven a 206 GTi, but by all accounts (including a user called Rhys who now has a 172) they are way off Renault and old Peugeot hot hatch standards.

Stick to the Clio, just as fast (and some would say more fun) as the Subaru. Youve got to think also, its £300 more to insure, but the running costs will be fairly higher as well.....

172s got all the goodies

Cups a touch faster without the goodies

You havent specified which of the millions of scoob models you are planning - running costs on all are high tho (assuming its an impreza and not a justy which are quite cheap;) )

Is a Impreza only as quick as a 172 then? I thought they were ment to be mega fast things? Clio looks 100% better tho in my opinion...

Quote: Originally posted by jamesm on 28 January 2004

I am currently driving a 206 gti (137bhp) which doesnt seem that wick. Was wondering if there is a lot of difference between 206 gti and 172/172 cup in overall performance. If there isnt much between the 0-60 and overtaking grunt of a 172 over my 206 gti, i may go the way of the subaru. (Subaru is only £300 more to insure !)
The 172 is miles ahead of the 137bhp 206 GTi. I had a 206 GTi for two months after owning a MK2 172 and I hated it. It felt slow and didnt handle at all well. Ive got another 172 now, which is also miles better than my 206 GTi was.

Quote: Originally posted by SaxoKiller on 28 January 2004

Is a Impreza only as quick as a 172 then? I thought they were ment to be mega fast things?
standard bottom spec 2.0 turbos (208-215bhp) are yeah.

obviously the higher spec prodrive versions etc which are around 300bhp are slightly quicker!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 28 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by jamesm on 28 January 2004

Do all the cup 172s blow the normal 172s into the ground.
No!

There is actually about 0.3 difference. The quote of 7.1 for the 172 is crazy, my 172 does a sub 7 seconds 0-60 no problem.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Having come very close to buying an Impreza, I took the sensible option and went for a Cup as financially it was so much better for me.

I got a new Clio for the price of a used Impreza, you get 3 years warranty, 3 years AA cover, insurance is cheaper, servicing is a LOT cheaper and less frequent, tyres are cheaper, the Clio is a hell of a lot better on fuel, etc...

Yes the Impreza is a more grown up car, its faster, has 4wd, got a cult following, but the Clio is still a very quick car and superb fun to drive but has much more sensible running costs.

Now it turns out that the Impreza I nearly bought actually had the clutch & gearbox fail a couple of months later costing about £1000 to fix, so that would have crippled me!

Sorry, in answer to the question. It depends what you want, I dont know what sort of Subaru you can get for 10k but it will cost a lot more to run, both in servicing and fuel. And is more likely to get nicked.

A Cup is 1.5 seconds faster than a standard 172 to 100mph and has more keen handling, plus it obviously looks nicer. But if you want your aircon, ABS and, spare wheel and, er........bright lights, pointless stuff like ESP and Auto wipers and washers then go for a 172.

I was in the same boat as Rich-D when I bought my Cup last March; had £11k to spend and was looking at 3 year old classic shape UK turbo imprezas or the Cup; for practical reasons alone, the cup would win (warranty, economy, etc), but its only when you drive them back to back that you realise how much more raw and fun the cup feels. Id test driven 11 imprezas, and ummd and aahd, but after 10 mins in one cup I put my deposit down there and then. Try em out.

Alfa Mito 155TB

D-Cup 1.5 secs quicker to 100 than a 172?....that may be on paper. but in the real world....the urban warrior cup doesnt seem to be so fast, raced quite a few and really it is down to driver....yes a well driven 172 can beat a 172 cup...and I have done so quite on occasions...

i wonder why so many cup drivers go for extra tuned exhausts, r-sport ecus and crash diets to get an extra .2 to 60 improvement?

I for one would rather have the Xenons, nice seats, climate control , ESP nice in bad conditions...what i dont want is to appear like a pauper in a poor spec car...but dont get me wrong, i like the cup...but now i would rather have a 182 cup or wait for the new lightweight 182 cup later on this year.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Why the feck does it always end up a 172 vs Cup arguement, its so(in the words of Alan Partridge) saaaaaaaaaaad!

The cup is quicker(IMHO a fair bit) than a normal 172, I have mucho evidence to back this up, but cant be arsed typing it out!!

Having swapped an imprezza turbo (classic shape) for a cup I can say that the scoob felt better planted and more secure whilst cornering, with a 0-100 of 14.6 secs it is quite a bit quicker and the 4wd does lend itself to fast point to point stuff. The cup however is a lotta fun and Id always wanted one!

"what i dont want is to appear like a pauper in a poor spec car". Could you be any more arrogant, i would hardly say someone is a pauper if they can afford an £13k car. Cups are quicker than 172s - FACT! - so get used to it and stop slating them in your posts.

No disrespect meant to any 172 owners as performance differences are negligable but some of us are willing to sacrifice the comforts of the 172 in return for a slightly more involving drivers car with extra performance for your money.

I agreed to buy an 02 172 MKII in Monaco Blue on Tuesday for £8800 with just 9600 miles on the clock, I think I got a good deal so if you have £10000 then you should easily be able to get a good un.

http://www.motorpoint.co.ukwww.motorpoint.co.uk is selling BRAND NEW 172s for £10,999 if you can stretch another £999, could be worth it.

Dai

golf

Ive had a classic and a bug eye and agree with what Brazo said. If you can afford the tracker, the insurance, the servicing (Which is silly on a classic shape!)and the petrol then i would have the impreza! but the cup or std 172 are cool, fun, fast and just such a good laugh to drive on a back road and parts are so much cheaper that the subaru. Oh bug eye is 218bhp were as the last classis are 215bhp. Bug eyes are slightly better on fuel too!

Cheers Craig

Quote: Originally posted by st33ly on 29 January 2004

Ive had a classic and a bug eye and agree with what Brazo said. If you can afford the tracker, the insurance, the servicing (Which is silly on a classic shape!)and the petrol then i would have the impreza! but the cup or std 172 are cool, fun, fast and just such a good laugh to drive on a back road and parts are so much cheaper that the subaru. Oh bug eye is 218bhp were as the last classis are 215bhp. Bug eyes are slightly better on fuel too!

Cheers Craig
I would be interested to hear your thoughts when you get the cup, send us a PM!

I am still not totally convinced that I made the right choice, but perhaps a set of F1s and some dryer roads will change my mind.

R

rich[182]

id reckon main point to bear in mind is for £10k a good example scooby with history is still gonna have 40k miles on the clock surely ? Id try and pickup a good 172 or cup for about 9250 if possible and then spend 750 on mods

golf

It wont be for another month or so Brazo but the cup is currently to of the tree. Try getting uniroyal "Rainsports" They are supposed to be superb! Mate had them in his cup and stated that they were the best wet weather tyre he has ever used untill he sold his cup for a type R! P**F!You interested in selling your cup? Just a cheecky question!

Regards Craig

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 28 January 2004

i wonder why so many cup drivers go for extra tuned exhausts, r-sport ecus and crash diets to get an extra .2 to 60 improvement?
But of course there isnt a single 172 with a performance exhaust, and no-one has ever asked if the Rsport works on the 172!

Chris

Quote: Originally posted by Homer on 29 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by sjd172 on 29 January 2004

Your Cup Interior for My 172 Interior
I will..mail me
I have also owned a scoob and a cup..........if you get chance, try and own both.......not at the same time obviously, but they are both completely different superb cars !

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 28 January 2004

It makes a LOT more difference than that...

The 1/4 mile times of a Cup with a filter, zorst & chip/R-Sport drops to 14.0/14.1secs with a faster terminal speed and in real terms they are a fair bit quicker.

996 Carrera

Id say there is a big difference b/w the Cup and 206 GTI. The wife has the GTI so I get to drive both regularly.

The most noticable difference is the throttle response, the Cup just goes when u depress the throttle whereas the 206 seems to wait for a while before doing anything.

In fact everything is more responsive in the Cup - brakes, steering.

And the wife loves driving my car (when I give her the chance) so thats a pretty good endorsement of the Cup over the 206 GTI!

sjd 172 - Is this the first stage of a project to convert your 172 into a Cup?

PS ; Dont forget to practice your cadence braking for when you get to the ripping out of the ABS stage!!!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 29 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 28 January 2004i wonder why so many cup drivers go for extra tuned exhausts, r-sport ecus and crash diets to get an extra .2 to 60 improvement?[/QUOTE]But of course there isnt a single 172 with a performance exhaust, and no-one has ever asked if the Rsport works on the 172!Chris

Why would we want it should be the question, invalidates warranty, and only works if you car is standard... I wouldnt even consider that chip, only a unichip or simmilar.

Quote: Originally posted by st33ly on 29 January 2004

It wont be for another month or so Brazo but the cup is currently to of the tree. Try getting uniroyal "Rainsports" They are supposed to be superb! Mate had them in his cup and stated that they were the best wet weather tyre he has ever used untill he sold his cup for a type R! P**F!You interested in selling your cup? Just a cheecky question!

Regards Craig
Rather sell my @rse!!!:)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 January 2004

But of course there isnt a single 172 with a performance exhaust, and no-one has ever asked if the Rsport works on the 172!

Why would we want it should be the question, invalidates warranty, and only works if you car is standard... I wouldnt even consider that chip, only a unichip or simmilar.
No matter what car youve got youll always want more power...

Whether it be a 172, a Cup or anything else for that matter!

When my mate got his Evo VI he was in awe of the performance and said there was no need to mess with a car like this...

Until he got used to it and ended up modding the thing! ;)