ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Best mods

2003 Renault Clio Sp
Hey guys,
i live in Australia and have recently purchased a standard 172.
What would be the first on the list of mods that dont break the bank...
want to increase power and torque and handling .

i hear that k-tec are good for tuning softwear and DIY kits...

????
Any guys in Australia thats do stuff let me know... cheers.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Welcome to the forum,
Chasing power is always going to be very expensive. ITB's and cams are a good way to go if you are set upon more power. Induction kits are supposedly not very effective on this car, Fastcar magazine did a dyno comparison of some induction kits and long story short, found they didn't help things at all. However, the ITG maxogen was not tested, and some people think it does improve power. Obviously forced induction is another option, but I don't think many here would argue if I were to say it's not for the faint hearted.
Likewise, if you want better handling, your options are largely expensive as the car handles very well as standard. Coilovers are a good way to go, I have tried a car on Gaz Golds and that made a hell of a difference, but they are pretty damned expensive. Other options include fitting a rear ARB, but that can increase understeer. The best thing you can do for handling is good tyres IMO, depending on what you are currently running, a set of performance road tyres or semislicks could be very helpful. Also, fitting polybushes can make a big difference to cornering and feel, as well as solid top mounts, and these cost relatively little.
I've never had a problem with K-Tec, although be a bit careful because some parts can be had for less elsewhere. RoadTrackRace parts are good, as are Renault Parts Wolverhampton, but I have no idea whether they will ship to AUS.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Hey, there are lots of threads on all the above just have a quick search. The F4R is quite a highly tuned unit as standard and extracting more power out of it with out spending a decent chunk of money is quite difficult. Few people have got remaps using the rs tuner but supposedly it wont give you a lot more power just better driveability. If you're looking for decent power increases you're going to have to spend money on the likes of cams, ITB or get a supercharger/turbo kit.

Clio Sport 172
As Colin Chapman once said: "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
If it is a trackday weapon I would start by the cheapest solution: loose weight.
As James363 said, power comes with big bills on these cars so aim for the handling and explore the car... you won't need more power for a long time...

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Turinis, lowering springs, some nice mid way bucket seats ie recaros and a sabelt. That's all they need to be the perfect road/fast road car. The suspension and power are very well matched. Oh and Xenons if you don't already have them

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
RS Tuner and a decat are the two cheapest mods, you'll get a couple of HP and it'll be a fair bit nicer to drive.
Anything else is going to empty your wallet, they really aren't an engine for tuning to get loads more power.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
An LSD is a must if you are dealing with low grip levels, or very slow speed stuff, or rather, an LSD should be far higher on your list of priorities than power if you are doing any of the above.

Track 172 Cup
I have just fitted one of the SM Turkish inlets and car made 195hp and 165lb/ft so seems pretty good bang for buck compared to other things ( i got the inlet off a member on here cheaper than they are new). My car has a Powerflow exhaust with sports cat no other engine mods, Car made 171hp (not sure on torque) before with the ITG Maxogen mentioned above (but at almost half what I paid for the SM inlet I would go for the SM myself over a new Maxogen) and same exhaust. Only thing different than the SM inlet is I had the power steering changed to the electric power steering so also no pump to run might free up 1-2hp lol Mine is a track car so is already stripped out and has a quaife diff and coilovers.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Welcome to the forum,
Chasing power is always going to be very expensive. ITB's and cams are a good way to go if you are set upon more power. Induction kits are supposedly not very effective on this car, Fastcar magazine did a dyno comparison of some induction kits and long story short, found they didn't help things at all. However, the ITG maxogen was not tested, and some people think it does improve power. Obviously forced induction is another option, but I don't think many here would argue if I were to say it's not for the faint hearted.
Likewise, if you want better handling, your options are largely expensive as the car handles very well as standard. Coilovers are a good way to go, I have tried a car on Gaz Golds and that made a hell of a difference, but they are pretty damned expensive. Other options include fitting a rear ARB, but that can increase understeer. The best thing you can do for handling is good tyres IMO, depending on what you are currently running, a set of performance road tyres or semislicks could be very helpful. Also, fitting polybushes can make a big difference to cornering and feel, as well as solid top mounts, and these cost relatively little.
I've never had a problem with K-Tec, although be a bit careful because some parts can be had for less elsewhere. RoadTrackRace parts are good, as are Renault Parts Wolverhampton, but I have no idea whether they will ship to AUS.
Very decent input mate!

Welcome to the forum Resrie.

182 Cup
Hey guys,
i live in Australia and have recently purchased a standard 172.
What would be the first on the list of mods that dont break the bank...
want to increase power and torque and handling .

i hear that k-tec are good for tuning softwear and DIY kits...

????
Any guys in Australia thats do stuff let me know... cheers.
Jump on ozrenaultsport forum if you haven't already mate!