ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 182 what the diff

clio 172 corsa turbo300hp
hi guys new to renault so i bet this question comes up all the time why is the 182 faster than the 172 whats been done to the 182 to make it faster as they are the same engine

Megane dci 130
I believe its the exhaust manifold being 4-2-1 rather than the 172 being 4-1. The engine map will be different also.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Better inlets, 200 cell cat, different exhaust as well as the manifold.

Difference in straight line performance is small.

Da

Less
Air intake differences also, but the performance difference is minimal if anything at all.

Better inlets, 200 cell cat, different exhaust as well as the manifold.

Difference in straight line performance is small.

what you mean better inlets so if i had the inlet matched on a 172 would that make it the same or can you have a 182 matched aswell to make it even better again and will a 182 manifold bolt stright on

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
182 exhaust manifold is the BEST mod i done to my 172 along with the k-tec link pipe/decat difference in mid range pull was brilliant. imo if you dont want the hastle of fitting the manifold (its a pain) and changing the cat every year for mot (once you have a custom cat made for it!) then id buy a 182, people say there is no difference but every engine varys and doing the manifold swap on the same engine makes a BIG difference

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
what you mean better inlets so if i had the inlet matched on a 172 would that make it the same or can you have a 182 matched aswell to make it even better again and will a 182 manifold bolt stright on

Inlet manifolds are different on the 172 and 182. The 172 came with unmatched inlets. The 182 had RS (Renault Sport) stamped and improved inlets which is a bit better. Furthermore you could take your inlets to a whole host of suppliers and get them custom matched with PTFE gaskets.

The list goes: Custom Matched > RS (182) > 172. Matching 182 and 172 inlets will provide the same end result. I hope that clears it up.

Obviously the 182 items are a fair bit better than the 172 ones so you'll get less improvements when matching 182 ones than 172 to.

Last edited:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I used to think that about my 182 but when I put it to the test up my local drag strip the 182 was a fair bit quicker. Unless tested I'd be sceptical.

thanks guys been a great help but when you said putting the 182 manifold on u said it was hard work whats hard about it what have you got to to and could some1n give me a rough prise on doing it :cool:

Silver 172
by hard work i think they mean just getting the old one off and bolting the new one on because they are tucked away at the back, or am i wrong?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
by hard work i think they mean just getting the old one off and bolting the new one on because they are tucked away at the back, or am i wrong?

they are at the back of the engine so its subframe dropped, steering column disconected from the rack, then you need to wiggle and turn them to get it out!

ive done a couple. takes me about 6 hours without ramps!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Inlet manifolds are different on the 172 and 182. The 172 came with unmatched inlets. The 182 had RS (Renault Sport) stamped and improved inlets which is a bit better. Furthermore you could take your inlets to a whole host of suppliers and get them custom matched with PTFE gaskets.

The list goes: Custom Matched > RS (182) > 172. Matching 182 and 172 inlets will provide the same end result. I hope that clears it up.

Obviously the 182 items are a fair bit better than the 172 ones so you'll get less improvements when matching 182 ones than 172 to.

Not 100% true. My original 172 Cup (2002) had RS inlets. Not yet checked my current steed ;)

they are at the back of the engine so its subframe dropped, steering column disconected from the rack, then you need to wiggle and turn them to get it out!

ive done a couple. takes me about 6 hours without ramps!

6 hours thats a long time for a manifold only take me 10 minns on a vauxhall lol its a lot of work just for a manifold thou but is it worth it and were can i get 1n from second hand no 1n is selling any on here