ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 using oil

CLIO 197 Ultra red

I checked the oil level with the dashboard display thing and saw it was well low. I know these can be un-accurate so checked the rodney trotter (dipstick) and its well low... bear in mind my 182 is only 3 month old and has 4k on the clock...

anyone had similar things happen with 182/172?

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE

yer ken182 i bought my 182 ex demo with 6200 miles on the clock and it was well low 2 bars on dash reading and on min on the dipstick.

CLIO 197 Ultra red

roughly the same as mine then... im going to buy some oil tomoz to top it up then. didnt expect this bollox from a new car... renaults eh???.....

P

peterh2

They do use a bit when you run them in. Once they have been run in they should stop using it.

Lee

BMW M2C

Neither my 172 or 182 have ever used a drop of oil and thats with track days, RR days and a fair few runs up the 1/4 mile.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE

i topped it up with Excellium LDX 5W40 engine oil and it hasnt used a drop since i got 8ltrs free of charge from TOTAL UK Limited which i was well pleased about! as nobody sold the correct stuff

1 liter per 600 miles is the accepted Renault tolerance unless it burns more than this then that deamed as OK.

One car can burn oil and another not its hit and miss realy although how you bedded it in can have implications on oil burn.

Yaris Hybrid

Mine hasnt shifted so much as 1mm on the dipstick since I got it (just over 2k now). I have had 4 new cars in my life time and they were all the same.

Even my old Mini which had an oil leak that made a mess on the drive didnt seem to have any movement on the dipstick.

tiTTy & SV650

mine used most of the oil during the run in and the first 11k miles, howd you check the oil level on dash? Ive only ever noticed it saying OIL OK on start up, is it on the trip computer somewhere it gives you levels???

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

i think you have 30 seconds or so after first turning on the ignition, you press the trip thing on your clocks, this will then give you you read out, very posh :D

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 16 January 2005

1 liter per 600 miles is the accepted Renault tolerance unless it burns more than this then that deamed as OK.

One car can burn oil and another not its hit and miss realy although how you bedded it in can have implications on oil burn.
cant believe that. most cars only take 4-5 litres so you will be changing oil every 2500miles. maybe 1950s renaults did that.

Quote: Originally posted by paul on 16 January 2005

i topped it up with Excellium LDX 5W40 engine oil and it hasnt used a drop since i got 8ltrs free of charge from TOTAL UK Limited which i was well pleased about! as nobody sold the correct stuff
How did you manage to get your oil for free!?

Yeah, mine used about a litre in the first 1500 miles, but then after I did an oil and filter change it doesnt use any at all.

Quote: Originally posted by ken182 on 18 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 16 January 2005

cant believe that. most cars only take 4-5 litres so you will be changing oil every 2500miles. maybe 1950s renaults did that.
Youd be adding oil all the time yep I know. However thats the tolerance. If your car burns that amount or less its deemed as OK but they would look at it and try and rectify it unless they couldnt find any reasonable reason then theyll say its within spec.