ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Snapped ECU Brackets - pics. / numbers / dealer reactions / solutions

LY V6 with Recaros
Well I have contacted Renault UK about it, and this is the responce I got :mad:

Thank you very much for your recent e-mail regarding your Renault Clio. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your vehicle. I can certainly appreciate how frustrating this must be for you.

Your warranty is there to cover the cost of repairs or replacement of parts that are diagnosed by the Renault dealership to be a manufacturing defect. We also concur with the Renault dealership's diagnosis.

After speaking to the service department at Renault Romford, they have advised that the battery cover bracket had broken, this is not seen to be a manufacturing defect. While we will consider requests for financial support in certain cases, we are unable to contribute towards the repair costs as the fault is not a manufacturing defect.

I realise that this may not be the answer you wished for but I hope that I have explained the reasons behind our decision.

If you would like any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at Renault Customer Services via telephone or email us on

LY V6 with Recaros
Yep, it took alot of complaining, but I got there in the end. Down to luck really, the customer service/service manager of 4 sites was at the dealers today, and my bf happened to ask for a complaint form while he was there, she soon got it sorted asap! Getting it done on thursday :)

LY V6 with Recaros
They've just rang me to tell me they've ordered in the wrong part though! :rolleyes:

So still not sorted yet! Doh.

Clio 197
Another thing to check is the bolts on the intake manifold. Not sue what they are called, not the ones that bolt it to the head but a bun near the top. Som of mine were sheared, had to be drilled out etc. No problem under warranty.

My cat broke as well same thing warranty job. No questions asked. Happened at Spa just after I passed the pit entrance...

RenaultSport clio 182
Going to check mine this morning!
Has anyone had problems with the 182 std exhaust ? Mine is going in for it's third one and Tuesday ?
Is it worth taking out extra warranty on this car ?

RenaultSport clio 182
Just checked the ECU mount and it is fine !! Must be the only one in the UK.
The car still whistles like mad when accelerating hard, the noise is from the near side front. Any ideas ?
Thanks

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
It's only £34 for the bracket? Thought they were more, if they're that cheap, then I'll change it myself.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Just checked the ECU mount and it is fine !! Must be the only one in the UK.
The car still whistles like mad when accelerating hard, the noise is from the near side front. Any ideas ?
Thanks

You do get some whistling sound, if it really loud check door seals, wing mirrors and wind screen.

Da

Less
Ah ha! So I'm not alone! I noticed mine had snapped when I gave the bay a bit of a clean yesterday, will be ringing Renault up to order the part tomorrow! :approve: Although I'm getting no squeaks or vibrations...yet!

So far it's 20 at least - Deb182, g40steve, GazCB, Brad182, The 182 Steamer, Roy Munson, Robbles, Gweebs, Leeshez, Brasseye, sm_wrc, Batman (?), Rich_84, Stokoe_Sport172, azzer2000, RenaultSport, charlie_b, gadlys, mja182, Ollie1982, Polarbert, DaveLiquid182, furry_cup, Krissy_Bufton, Daz_2427

Da

Less
Surely if they snap and then Renault replace them with the same part they'll just snap again? :S Or are they an uprated/updated bracket?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I fixed mine myself. Unbolted the broken section from the strut top, found a piece bar, drilled a couple of holes and one through the remainder of the ECU bracket. A lick of black paint, bolt it up et voila. 20 mins, job done plus I factored in the fact that the original bracket was under a little too much stress so added a little length.

2001 172,VW Touran
mine was busted when i got my car. i fitted the replacement my self but with rubber washers either side and all is well now

172 Cup (track) FS
not a tough job to sort out - mine has also gone but will be fixed shortly.

Was advised by Yozza not to bother with it - and I can see their point as the right-hand fixing does pretty much nothing.

RenaultSport clio 182
Smug mode Off !!!!
The ECU bracket has died today and it sounds like a major rodent rattling around the left side of the car. The exhaust has started blowing again also.
Renualt keep sending me information on the 197 and the megane 225, so I will send them a letter asking for them to fix the 182 before I by another!

I think I will keep on dreaming :rasp:

The bracket for the ECU took 30 mins to fix and I may make some up and sell them on Ebay

Hey the bonnet catch is OK so far !!!!!
Lets do a petition and give Renualt a headache :mad:

BMW M3
Mine is still is fine but whats the bet it breaks either tomorrow or just when the warrenty runs out. I presume it breaks as the fixings are not strong enough to contain the ecu housing under the clio great handling lol

As for the bonnet catch, as this has such wide coverage in the media and harldy anything on a clio enthusiasts forum with over 25,000 members im guessing it only happens to people who never open their bonnet. Mine is opened once a week and have oiled the catch a while ago. Not too worried. Got a nice letter though saying i have to take it back lol.

RenaultSport clio 182
Just to let you know I have Emailed Renualt too.
If we all email them maybe they will have a re-think about the problems
I used this URL http://www.renault.co.uk/ContactCustomerServices.aspx?page=enquiry

Email as follows

I would like to draw your attention to the Clio 182 KN04*** that has had several problems with the exhaust and now the ECU bracket has broken. Whilst I agree the car is 1 month out of warranty I would like to know whether or not you will replace the persistantly blowing exhaust and replace the ECU all of which seem to be a national problem. Please check out this URL http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185299
I await your reply
Regards
Nicky *******

Lets drive them mad ;)
Next step BBC Watchdog:rasp: