ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172, 182, cup & Trophy.

Volvo S60 T5 asap
I am considering swapping my Fabia for a Clio Sport model. I think its the only way im going to get a very quick car in a straight line, but something fun in the twistys. Is the 182 actually any quicker at all than the 172 ? what differences are there in the Cup & Trophy models ? Is the ride much worse ?

Golf R soon...
I am considering swapping my Fabia for a Clio Sport model. I think its the only way im going to get a very quick car in a straight line, but something fun in the twistys. Is the 182 actually any quicker at all than the 172 ? what differences are there in the Cup & Trophy models ? Is the ride much worse ?

The 182 may have 10bhp over the 172 but it means nothing really. The difference is the exhaust manifold on the 182 being improved.

You have the cup and normal variations of clio sport.

The cup has cloth seats, aircon, no abs. Comes with light weight wheels.

The normal (full fat) versions have half leather seats, climate control, abs, xenon lights.

The trophy is evolution of the 182, it comes with special dampers, anthracite 16" speedline alloys, recaro trendline reclining seats. Also comes in an exclusive red colour, forgot the name :rolleyes:
Only 500 of the above were ever made, it was a limited edition to mark the end of the line for the mk2 clio sport.

Hope this helps

Darren

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
IMO, you would be better off buying a late 172 and saving the rest of the cash. The 182 does have an improved exhaust manifold but this will only yield 3-4 bhp. In reality, the inlet manifold castings were improved on the 182 which gave gains over earlier castings.

Fit a matched manifold to an early 172 an the gains will be much greater than those on a late 182.

Volvo S60 T5 asap
At least with the Clio I won't have the worries of running masses of torque, wearing car down, or expense of a turbo or intercooler etc. It will be pure simple raw fun. Enough speed to embarass much bigger car's too. Do you gain much through changing the exhaust cat-back ? or is the standard fit item pretty good anyway ?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
You won't get a fantastic gain from a cat' back but you will most probably need to change it anyway as the original will kill itself at some point. Inlet match is the best value mod'.

In my opinion, a set of nice sensible mods' would be:
inlet match,
cat' back,
panel filter with CAF (with removal of acoustic valve) and silicone elbow,
remap.
That lot should cost around £750 sheets and give around 180-185bhp and a good chunk of torque.

Golf R soon...
At least with the Clio I won't have the worries of running masses of torque, wearing car down, or expense of a turbo or intercooler etc. It will be pure simple raw fun. Enough speed to embarass much bigger car's too. Do you gain much through changing the exhaust cat-back ? or is the standard fit item pretty good anyway ?

Common problem with the clio sports is the standard exhaust rusting and falling off! lol!

Most people opt to buy a aftermarket stainless steel exhaust, they can be picked up for less than the originals as well.

I have a blueflame exhaust on my 182. Tail pipes are larger, looks good! (not pea shooters). Also sounds a lot more meaty than standard. Nice roar on idle and above 4-5k rpm. Its not a chav exhaust mind you.

Nothing really added to performance! Revs a little more freely from my experience.

Clio Trophy
1st 172 cup is the way forward, it is the no frills cliosport, it has the most bhp per ton, and the brakes are awesome (no abs).

182 Full Fatt!
182 or 172 may depends on which you like the look of. I find they all look a bit odd without a front cup spoiler now but all IMO of course!

Think twice about modifying them however. I changed the filter and exhaust on he 172 I had and hated it. Coarse and loud and not in keeping with the image I wanted.
The Filter on it's own made a lovely induction roar though!

182s are really torquey still you know!

Volvo S60 T5 asap
cool video al, cheers for the link. I be ok over those roads if I at back of queue, cos then I no gotta worry about t*****g into anyone coming other way! some of them though like the double left near start, I ain't gonna keep with a clio let alone 172 / 182 with my flying brick, round corners, with speed they went round it at.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Here we go again.

Buy a 172cup as its a no frills thriller which looks great.

You can't buy better or faster for the money.

Volvo S60 T5 asap
I going to look at some ex cop volvo s60 t5's this weekend, if I see what u get for money is a lemon, then the Clio looks on for sure.

i sold my ph1 172 for 2900 quid a year ago, it was mint and im still gutted. Dont listen to anyone else the ph1 is the best, origional, raw, light and cheap.
They are faster than the ph2 as these have sorter ratios to compensate for the extra weight. the cup would be a close second.