ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Cup Race Car Hubs

I've got some new cup race car hubs and pins, should I get the billet lower ball joint and put them on my 172 Ph1, please advise pros and cons. I know the ball joint runs a spherical bearing, not sure what this would be like on an everyday car?

M

mini-valver

It'll be mega for turn in and feel but it will be noticeably harder and noisier. Depends what compromises you're willing to live with in the trade of for more feel and grip.

182 trackday racer
I've got some new cup race car hubs and pins, should I get the billet lower ball joint and put them on my 172 Ph1, please advise pros and cons. I know the ball joint runs a spherical bearing, not sure what this would be like on an everyday car?

Rather aggressive camber for a everyday road car o I presume. What about the drive shafts, can they take the wider track? The spherical bearings may have a much higher wear than a stock unit as well. On a dedicated track car this is very nice though.

Actually I’d love to have that setup o my track car but it is very expensive. Thinking about custom made billet ball joint and custom pins so I can use the same concept with standard hubs. if you can provide some measurements id be very grateful

182 trackday racer
Does the Cup Race Car run wider front track? What measurements would you like?

Yes the track is wider in the front. The billet ball joints are also longer than the stock item moving the wheel further out increasing camber angle as well as it widens track.

The same thing goes for the pin in the image that lowers the joint point between wheelaxle and link arms this gives nice changes in rollcenter etc.

Meassurements: Would like to know the distance between the lines marked with an arrow in the image below. In milimeters would be very nice. Would also need some measurements on the billet part but since you dont posses them yet I guess you cant help me out atm.

Cheers!

Last edited:
  RS RIP
Rather aggressive camber for a everyday road car o I presume. What about the drive shafts, can they take the wider track? The spherical bearings may have a much higher wear than a stock unit as well. On a dedicated track car this is very nice though.

Actually I’d love to have that setup o my track car but it is very expensive. Thinking about custom made billet ball joint and custom pins so I can use the same concept with standard hubs. if you can provide some measurements id be very grateful

Yep i was also told the bearings are prone to high wearing .. will feel nice and solid while they're okay though. I would'nt touch them on a daily driver

i dont think standard ph1 shocks will fit those hubs, there wider than the road car ones i think, but if your going for the solid units to replace the ball joints you need -

(if your ordering make sure you confirm each part with R Sport as im not 100% sure the part numbers are right! you have the pins and some nuts so wont need all these bits, this is what i was going to order for my 182 but then decided not to bother)

2* Nut – 7703034100 .96
2* Washer – 7703053070 .45
2* Pin – 7711155177 35.00
2* Nut – 7703034193 1.20

4* Bolt – 7700698709 1.68
4* Nut – 7703034100 .96
2* Joint – 7711155405 75.49
2* Bearing – 7711155183 25.43
2* Circlip – 7711155179 .35

All + vat

182 trackday racer
i dont think standard ph1 shocks will fit those hubs, there wider than the road car ones i think, but if your going for the solid units to replace the ball joints you need -

(if your ordering make sure you confirm each part with R Sport as im not 100% sure the part numbers are right! you have the pins and some nuts so wont need all these bits, this is what i was going to order for my 182 but then decided not to bother)

2* Nut – 7703034100 .96
2* Washer – 7703053070 .45
2* Pin – 7711155177 35.00
2* Nut – 7703034193 1.20

4* Bolt – 7700698709 1.68
4* Nut – 7703034100 .96
2* Joint – 7711155405 75.49
2* Bearing – 7711155183 25.43
2* Circlip – 7711155179 .35

All + vat

Cant access the Renault Sport system anymore after changing to Win7 so I can not check out any numbers anymore. Need some kind of plug in and i cant remember what it was. :(

If I remember correctly there was also a number for the complete right and left link arms (blue arrow in image) can anyone get hold of those numbers for me?

7711155472 - right
7711155471 - left

that parts catalogue is so fussy u need a plug in on XP, im pretty sure ive used it on Win 7 tho. Adobe SVG viewer or something along those lines, dont think it works well in IE8 either so I still have IE7 just for that!

182 trackday racer
7711155472 - right
7711155471 - left

that parts catalogue is so fussy u need a plug in on XP, im pretty sure ive used it on Win 7 tho. Adobe SVG viewer or something along those lines, dont think it works well in IE8 either so I still have IE7 just for that!

Thanks!

Do you have a unit price on those?

Cheers / Mårten

EDIT: Btw do you know if the cup racer use different length on their drive shafts? My idea is to buy those arms or make similar ones. Ill make a special axle to connect the bearing to the original hubs. In that way Ill change rollcenter, widen track and increase camber in one move. Only thing Im worried about is drive shafts. But I guess 1-2cm a side should be alright considering the car is a lot lower than standard?

Last edited:
  RS RIP
^^ i remember also being able to look in the catalogue but since changing computers i cannot anymore..

But, i do remember looking up these arms , and the complete arm you're talking about is just the wishbone with wishbone-rubbers ? Not all the outer bits ?

Schma Schme 1.6l
hi guys,

out of interest, how do i access the renault-sport cataloge? i'm probably gunna need spares for my cup racer at some point.

also, does anyone have a PDF copy of the cup racer manual?

cheers.

Schma Schme 1.6l
Thanks!

Do you have a unit price on those?

Cheers / Mårten

EDIT: Btw do you know if the cup racer use different length on their drive shafts? My idea is to buy those arms or make similar ones. Ill make a special axle to connect the bearing to the original hubs. In that way Ill change rollcenter, widen track and increase camber in one move. Only thing Im worried about is drive shafts. But I guess 1-2cm a side should be alright considering the car is a lot lower than standard?[/quote]

i've no idea what happens on clios when lowered, but on the evo's when you lower/increase the track you pull the drive shafts out and it is not a good thing at all.

RS RIP
^^ basically the same .. pulls out the shafts (on all cars)

Oh yeh; you need an account in Dieppe to order from the site

Golf GTD Mk7
franx said:

Yeah but how low can you go before this happens?

Schma Schme 1.6l
IIRC, they hardly ever pull out, i only saw 3 evos that this happened on and they were all race/time attack ones.

its more to do with the extra wear put upon them when there is less than suitabe amount of spline shaft length in the drive shaft.

its 1 of them things you simply get on with and if it happens to damage the drive shaft, replace it. but lowering a car more than 40mm from standard without adjusting the roll centres/track is daft in my opinion because your not getting the benifits but all the downsides.

182 trackday racer
IIRC, they hardly ever pull out, i only saw 3 evos that this happened on and they were all race/time attack ones.

its more to do with the extra wear put upon them when there is less than suitabe amount of spline shaft length in the drive shaft.

its 1 of them things you simply get on with and if it happens to damage the drive shaft, replace it. but lowering a car more than 40mm from standard without adjusting the roll centres/track is daft in my opinion because your not getting the benifits but all the downsides.

Well its not about the car getting lower really, its about the hubs getting 1-2cm further from the gearbox. Thats what those new arms will do.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT

heard a story that the rs driveshafts are a little bit too long, and add stress on them while on full lock or when excessive neg camber is applied.
if that's the case then longer joints should do the trick?
I'm on solid top mounts but the full lock knocking is still there on occasions. or is it a faulty driveshaft? passenger one is basically new, and the other looks good also