ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v wont start!

Clio 182 w/ cup packs

Ok, a few days ago the battery light started coming on. The car was still running but the battery was getting weaker and weaker. Today it woudlnt start cuz the battery was dead, the starter motor was still turning over though.

Got another alternater, whacked it on, charged the battery and tried to start it. The starter motor wouldnt turn, just kinda clicked. Ok so we thought it must be a duff battery cuz it was completely flat after being on charge all day anyway.

Got a new fully charged battery, put it on and still the same responce. We push started the car and the battery light was still on.

What can be wrong with it!!? Were thinking there must be a wiring fault thats killing the battery in seconds, or a wiring fault thats stopping the starter motor turning over and making the battery not charge! Anyone good with electrics cuz we arent!

Any help is appreciated!

Sounds like the starter motor mate...

If you get a click... thats usually the sound of the starter solonoid! which means thats ok... but the bushes might have worn down on the starter motor...

Try the following, if this works then its definetly ur starter motor that is buggered!

First try rocking it back n forth in gear with the car off (and handbrake also off) then try starting it!

2nd - get a hammer & give the starter motor a few hard taps!

if this makes it work its ur starter motor! and will probably need new bushes! its rare that u will need a whole new starter motor....

If its any consolation, i carried a hammer in my car for 4 weeks! a few hits worked everytime for 4 weeks! then i got off ma ass n fixed it!! lol.

if that aint the problem then i have no idea!!

Clio 182 w/ cup packs

Nah its not the stater cuz the battery is dead as soon as you turn the key! Got it booked in for a diagnostic test tomorrow now!

If the battery light still stays on once youve pushed started it it must be dodgy connection. It could be the earth but seeing as youve whacked a new alternator on it must be something to do with that. Are you sure its connected correctly and the same model of alternator?

Have you tried the the wire running from the battery to the starter motor miine wouldnt start the other day. Called the AA out he jiggled the wire and off I went

I had same problem, Was the alternator, Make sure the new one is NEW! or at least a Re-con! Secondly charge battery to full power, this helps. And if all else fails its a bad earth somewhere on the car defo.

Clio 182 w/ cup packs

Thanks for the repsponce guys. Im wondering if it is a dodgy alternater too, it was tested and defo from a 16v though!

Where is the starter motor on the 16v?

Ive been told today that the starter motor, alternater and battery all run on the same wiring loop, so there is always the chance of a bad earth somewhere too!

check the earth connection on the alt as this corrodes and can snap easily if you accidentally push it too hard and you wont know as the loop connector stays on the alt.

The car will start, then the batt runs down and batt dies.....