ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v played its last trick - its going...

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Well well well, just got my beloved clio back from the garage yesterday, new gerabox, sachs performance clutch, fully fitted, well happy....even though i had just handed £352 quid + £75 i paid for the clutch....mmm nice..

Driving home and getting it warmed up, gearbox going better than ever, clutch fantastic, and then trouble. Car suddenly jerks as if loss of power, rev counter moving up and down erraticlly. Pulled over and it stalls. Tried to start and it wouldnt, sounded like it was misfiring...

Checked and cleaned the plugs, ignition leads and distributor. All ok. problem still there. Does anyone know what the hell is up with it now?

Really had enough now, considering iam still paying off my loan for it, and paying out for it every month for parts. Last month it was starter motor and wheel bearing, month before new springs, month before brakes, month before M.O.T....really had enough now....gonna sell it and get a 205 gti 1600 for a grand.

Cant be bothered with the hastle, everyone is saying im a fool for keeping it, and im beggining to believe.:(

itll be a shame to get rid of it mate especially as its probably got more new parts on it than old!

misfiring problem is always todo with sparks and leads so if theyve been checked they could be OK, if the engine stalls or misfires WHEN MOVING could be

-blocked fuel filter,

-faulty fuel pump

- vacuum leak at the inlet manifold and/or hoses around that area?

- It could even be a faulty starter motor mate

Im sure someothers can shed light on this problem though

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Its just doing my head in, its cost me nearly £600 this month, and im still driving my 205 1.4 XT!!!!!!!!

if i were you mate i would get it booked in at BBPT or KTEC and get them to to a fault diagnosis check, get them to go over it with a fine tooth comb and see what they think. I know its a b**ch paying out all this money mate but your not guareenteed fault free driving if you buy another motor.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by tom-in-notts on 05 May 2003

I think a 205 GTI will be more hassle!
agreed, my 205 GTi was a bit like your car mate.. every month I would be forking out more money to get it fixed, in the end I had a list of about 50 things to be fixed on it.. just couldnt afford to get them all done, I would pay to fix 10 things in 1 month but 15 new things would go wrong with it.. loved the car to death but had to let her go in the end.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Its just that the 16v is my main car, i go to work and do everything in it, so when its off the road, and still costing me money, its a bit downheartening.

I cant understand how the hell it went in the garge to get one thing fixed, and it comes out with an entirely new problem! Its got loads of brand new renault or uprated parts on it, everythings been done except the body and engine...i cant believe the effin engine or somthing to do with it has gone now..!

have you not got to the point know where there are less things that can go wrong as everything is replaced? i8f you sell it the next owner could end up getting a fully repaired minter? Then you would be gutted, there is a point where you have done so much you just cant stop, or it would have been for nothing?

Then again, why not just sell it and buy a new 172? Covered by warranty and would end up costing less, including the HP cos there aint no repairs!

I reached this point a few months after buying my 16v. Just remember that youre on top of it now (well, almost) and that theres practically nowt else to go wrong from here on. A year and a half later I have been able to just enjoy my 16v without major problems.

And it would be a bit gutting to be paying a loan for a car you dont have!!

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

But im thinking i have a 95 phase 2 16v with 95k on the clock, rear arches starting to rust, and some other minor body work repairs and the steering rack is on its way out, but since i have had in in Jan 2001, i have had the following repairs done to it..

Induction kit, strut brace, magnex exaust system, wheel bearings all round, brembo discs all round, replaced ball joint and wishbones both side (and other related steering/suspension parts), new shocks, springs, recon gearbox, new clutch, clutch cable x3, new plugs and oil filters/fuel filters etc every 10k, starter motor replaced, alternator replaced,timing belt changed at 70k, engine fuel pipes repaired, new drive shafts, new electric window mechanism, new window switches, new battery, new lights, and loadsa other stuff i cant remember.....arrgghhhhh!! - this car is running my life!!

Seriously - can you take the bus a bit more? Use your bike??

If you sell it, you will lose a lot of dosh on it and you will miss it. A lot. My mate has a 16v and got so broke by it that he put it in his garage for a year and cycled to work every day! He might not have solved the problems of the car straight away, but at least he didnt have to sell it and he saved loads of money too.

Cant you just use your Pug/bike/bus/train and use your 16v as a leisure car?? Mine wasnt exactly a minter when I bought it - but look at it now:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/286000-286999/286766_25_full.jpg

I use it only for leisure and have slowly made it mint. I use my bike a lot!! And Im still a student!!!!!!!! Just got to be patient and figure it all out.:D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Basically mate, that is what I done.. sold my old car and brough a "nearly new" 172.. its been worth it cause so far the only cost has been for a bit of a scrape on the lower front bumper to be professionly repaired by Renault (however profesional that Renault is though is negotiable) which was my fault.. well actually it was my works fault cause there was a hole in the car park causing my front lower bumper to scrape a kerb..grr

mine was off the road for three weeks for something just like this

jerking once u boot it, revs all over the place and just not driveable

mine was fixed but stupid lose earth on the gearbox or u may have a lose earth somewhere else,

go check that. i was like u checking ingnition side. plugs, dizzy cap the lot and it turned out to be something soo simple

wongy

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

I have a momo gearknow arggrgghh!

>Wongy > Gearbox earth? gearbox has just been sorted, could be this, where is it?

will

there are two

u wont be able to see it with normal airbox on

pop ya bonnet and under where the filter should be there should be two 13mm bolts one directly under airbox on gearbox and one facing forward. mine was the one facing forward

go check it out

wongy

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

As much as i like my Clio i wont be gettin another French car, especially not a Peoguet, they r even worse mate.

If u want a car thatll never cause u as much trouble get either a VW or any Jap car.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Dunno, gonna check out the earth that Wongy is on about....thinking about using the clio as a weekend car and just slam it in the garage for a while, sort it gradually n tingz..

got a feelin it couldbe what i said.

if u had a gearbox job/clutch job. the two earths there would of been disturbed

wongy

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 05 May 2003

Or a Volvo. My family has 4!!

My dads 960 is on its original brake pads and exhaust at 120,000 miles!!!!:eek:

makes a few scrapeing noises a?

Have you checked the wiring plug that goes to the throttle potentiometer ?

I can remember something like that happening to my car a couple of years ago after I had the clutch changed, the guy at the garage had bust the little metal clip that holds it in position and because it was loose it kept cocking everything up.

Just a thought ??? :confused: