ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v misfiring nightmare

Anyone who really knows their clios might be a huge help to me. I drive a 92 1.8 16v, and if it helps at all it has had the usual de-cat pipe, stainless, and a k & n filter element. The other night driving home on the motorway, doing about 90, the car started misfiring ever so slightly. I though nothing of it, at the very most a faulty spark plug etc. Then, the next day the car was driving really badly, the idling was all over the place, and it would misfire right throughout the driving range. I took it to a garage I usually use and he said to check all the usuals: spark plugs, leads, check all hoses for leaks, idle potentiometer etc. Plugs were not too bad but replaced them anyway as I did the leads. This had no effect. Went to the scrap yard and aquired a new idle potentiometer. Fitted that, and it sorted the idling out, but the misfire continued. Fitted an air flow regulator, it sits at the front of the engine in between the air filter and engine. This seemed to cure the problem. The idling was nice and smooth, sitting bang on 900 rpm, and the car drove a lot better, but misfired slightly on deceleration and at low revs. The problem was certainly better though. Then, the same evening I drove the car again and it was as bad as it had been previous to the new parts. I managed to get it the short distance back home. When i came to start it this morning, it fired but the idling was all over, the engine sounded like it was really struggling. It then died and I fired it again, it just started but then died again and now it wont start at all.

So far ive checked all the hoses for leaks, replaced plugs, leads, dizzy cap, air flow regulator, idle potentiometer, dismantled air filter to check for blockage, checked all fuses for fuel pump, ecu etc and still cant find a fault. The only other thing I can think of is the ECU, so im getting one tomorrow off a valver in a nearby scrapyard.

Can anyone think of any other reason as to the misfire and idling problems, and now the fact that I cant get it started at all? Any help at all would be appreciated as I want to get back on the road asap!

BMW 320d Sport

See if the ECU is sitting in a puddle of water. Youve checked everything else I would have thought of straight away.

Cheers for that Nick, Ive just had the ECU out and very carefully opened the thing up and immediately I could smell that familiar burnt circuit aroma. A part of the circuit, about 2 inches long, is a lovely black colour. This has got to be the problem, so ill get round the breakers yards first thing monday morning and hopefully the problem will be cured. Thanks for the help.