ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16gb SD card - is this a good deal

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im after a 16gb card for my d60, is this a good deal??

anyone know of any places where i can get it cheaper?

cheers

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
And from a reputable supplier!
Play.com are the best for customer service IMO.
Their quick to deliver too

VaVa
Be careful of putting all your eggs in one basket, as it were.

Memory cards do fail and 16 GB worth of snaps is a lot to lose.

Cheap as chips though!

As others have said, far safer to buy four 4GB cards than one monster 16GB . I still only use 2GB cards (about 200 pics on my D90), might upgrade to 4GB at some point but wouldn't go any bigger than that.

I would never trust ebay with SD cards - so so so many fakes on there.

Would never buy one that big either - I have lots of 2GB ones.

You realise that the camera will also only display 3 figure numbers so when you stick the 16GB or 8GB the display will just show 1k instead of actually how many pics you have left on the card, which is fairly annoying when you want to get an idea of how many snaps you have taken!

GW RS200
As others have said, far safer to buy four 4GB cards than one monster 16GB . I still only use 2GB cards (about 200 pics on my D90), might upgrade to 4GB at some point but wouldn't go any bigger than that.

Isn't this like the whole hard disk RAID argument? Surely four cards means a four times higher risk of failure, but losing only a quarter as much? I'm sure someone even geekier could tell me!

Isn't this like the whole hard disk RAID argument? Surely four cards means a four times higher risk of failure, but losing only a quarter as much? I'm sure someone even geekier could tell me!

Lose the 16GB and you've lost everything, or if the 16GB breaks you've lost everything. At least with a four 4GBs you are pretty much guaranteed to come home with 3/4s of your photos.

If I went to New York, I would rather come home with something rather than nothing, having more cards gives you that security (unless you lose all your gear!)

Oil Burner
As Chris says, i would be very nervous having all my photos on one card. Whilst SD is a very reliable memory type i have seen them go corrupt. Most of the pro Togs i see use 1g or 2g cards, They wont risk loosing their photos. Ok you might not be this serious (Pro level etc...) about your photography, however im fairly sure if you had 16g work of holiday photos and the card died on you you would be pretty gutted.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thanks guys, point taken.

didnt think of it like that.

i will buy a few 4gb cards instead.

GW RS200
Lose the 16GB and you've lost everything, or if the 16GB breaks you've lost everything. At least with a four 4GBs you are pretty much guaranteed to come home with 3/4s of your photos.

If I went to New York, I would rather come home with something rather than nothing, having more cards gives you that security (unless you lose all your gear!)

Excellent point!

FF RB 182
Fella's 8GB SD card went funny, that's a sandisk one. However, it went funny as iphoto loads up when you insert it, he quit it before it started loading and it decided to delete all his photos.