ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

15-16V idle :D 12.5 under load :'(

Valver
Just fitted a new alternator, bushes in the old one were buggered.

Now its running nearly 16V on idle but when I turn everything on it it drops right down to just over 12??

If I rev the engine its fine lights get mega bright way brighter than with the old alternator but only if i rev it?

Any thghts?

Valver
Think it was 15.75ish on idle charging or over 15 anyway.

And yeah 2nd hand alt how'd you guess? Checked the bushes before I slapped it in though and it all looked kosher...

Valver
Also fitted a new aux belt while I was at it, don't think that would make a difference for the worse thou?

BMW M135i
Nah just a guess on it being 2nd hand, might have a shagged voltage regulator. According to the haynes manual when loaded it should be between 13.2 and 14.8v so it doesn't look too promising tbh.

BMW M135i
Its pissing out fluid because its overcharging and boiling the electrolyte.
New alternator needed, the voltage reg is an internal part of the alternator, you might/probably need a new battery now too if its buckled the plates.