ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106 GTI or Mk2 Clio 1.6 - opinions needed

hi, i have a clio 1.6 16v (new shape) thinkin bout sellin mine n gettin a 106 GTI. how do you lot rate them? they actually fast? whats the handling and interior etc like? also, where can i get insurance for it? im 19 in few weeks.

cheers , mike

Good cars - quite fast and very good handling. Drive one first before making a decision tho. The pedals are cramped and the car is small. Good MPG tho but if its like the VTS electrical faults are very common as they get older.

The 106 is the same car (almost) as the VTS craggy does or did own one and was faster than 172s.

There fast cars with good handling but bit to small and weak for my liking but there speed is due to there low weight and so low strength.

There loads of mods out for them supercharger kits ets so you can have as much performance as you want.

EDD

E36 323i coupe

When I lived in France, I had a 106GTi that a friend lent me for a while when she broke her collar bone.

As far as fun and performance goes there is no competition; the Pug wins hands down.

But it depends what you want... the Clio is more spacious, has a higher driving position, has more luxury, and is probably a lower insurance group.

If I had to choose between a 106GTi and a Mark 2 Clio1600, I would be spoilt for choice, but would probably choose the Pug, for the same reason I chose the Cup over the standard 172... FUN! Nothing truly exciting is without danger after all!

Insurance - try Peugeot Insurance; Tesco; Adrian Flux....

Insurance will probably be more - even if it is the same insurance group - because GTi means faster than 1.6 16V, in an insurance salesmans eyes. Whatever, tho at 18/19/20 years old, you will pay a LOT.

Good luck!

hello mate. i have just sold my vts. it basicly the same car as the gti. down to personal choice. they are reasonbly quick. not that far behind a 172. handeling is good to. i was racing a 328i bm. and i caught him on the bends. however the insurance group is 14. and because its a boyracer car, ins tends to be high. infact i can insure a 172 cheeper??? i recomend you test drive both vts and gti. its all down to personal choice. just dont rush into it.

E36 323i coupe

In my opinion the interior is much nicer on the Pug than the Saxo... simple tho in comparison with the Clio.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Sell the Clio, get the 106, they are totally different cars!

I had a 106 GTi for 2 years and it was superb!!! :D

yeah. the 106 in side is better than the saxo. i dont think the group 13 of the pug and 14 of the pug will make much of a diffrence. it didnt when i got quotes for both. to be honest, being 19 be prepared to pay a lot. the only diffrence with the engine side of things is the saxo has diffrent geering. i cant compare them to the clio cos i have not been in one. there are loads about so test drive a few.

Titanium 182

defos test drive the vts aswell

you could get a much newer vts for a lot less and they got a face lift and interior change on 2000v plate

the gti does have leather but a very dated dash, and was given white dials and few other updates on a simlar reg

i terms of the performance i wouldnt think the 1600cc clio is in the same league as them?

there very low geared as well, but later vts redline at 7500rpm

Titanium 182

yeh, you will notice the short gears and it will do your nut in

get some simple mods like a bmc cda and a full magnex exhaust system and you can see 140bhp

great fun:D

RB5 & 172

i sold my 172 and got an old gti. it is great fun and with a new zorst and viper it feels as fast as my old clio once you get it wound up. as for the driving it is a great laugh and you can really feel what the car is doing, it is truely like a kart.

on the flip side the inside is small, mine is p plate so pre-leather but it is still a huge leap back from my old clio. i have also had quite a few problems with mine but it has done 87k so i can not really complain as my clio was in the dealers every 2 months and that had done a 3rd of the miles.

the one thing to look for is a hesitation once warm when you go on and off the throttle. it is caused from a dodgy map sensor that cost £50 and takes 2mins to change. it is a common fault and easliy sorted.

also when you test one bear in mind if you do plan on making any mods it will really change the car, mine feels so different from a standard gti.:)

Sat in one of these last night..bit laughable really, you can tell how old the design is now. From a driving point of view it wins hands down though.

-Rob

RB5 & 172

they are not that bad. i had a vtr and got hit head on by a volvo estate (not my fault) which put me into the trees and then rolled the car. it was a complete right off but all i had was whip-lash and a few cuts and bruises, it did me proud.

saying that the volvo just had a dented wing! but the lady was sat to close to wheel so was in a right mess due to the airbag, all was fine in the end though.

this is very tricky!!!! if it wasnt for the insurance id almost definately go for it, but ive tried CIS and direct line and norwich union, all said no way! didnt even quote me!

what is the 0-60 on 106 gtis then? parkers says 8.6s, that makes it less than i second quicker than my clio, i know this fgure is wrong, but has anyone know more realistic figures?

cheers for all the help people, mike

RB5 & 172

have you tried liverpool and victoria for insurance?

as for 0-60 i have no idea but it has to be faster than 8.6 as they are real easy to launch.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 25 November 2003

Well my mates 106 was a write off in a 30mph crash into a stationary car..
I hit another car from behind at a roundabout and it hardly touched my 106 GTi in fact I fixed it myself!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Johnnylec on 25 November 2003

have a look at the series 2 106 rallye they are group 11 insurance.
Odd this, but do a quote for both and see how they compare... :confused:

0 to 60 is same as saxo, i think pug tested with a passanger and a full tank. saxo tested with min. 0 to 60 on saxo was 7.9 or 7.8.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 25 November 2003

I had a 106 GTI for 6 months before I hit a tree at 70 MPH sideways and walked away so cannot fault the car! Cant do better for handling and speed, the only that lets it down is the interior! As far as insurance goes, I had the best quotef rom Admiral and they gave me more that the car was worth in the end so couldnt fault them for that!
Jesus!!! :eek:

Well any car that can hit a tree at that kind of speed, sustain so much damage and still allow you to walk away is bl00dy good!

I had A vts on T plate, realy good fun.. but tinny, more fun than my MR2 as I drove both for a while, Id prefere the pug over the tw or the newer shape vts.

you can pick em up for beer money nower days

E36 323i coupe

Dave182 wrote:

"I hit a tree at 70 MPH sideways"

"Cant do better for handling"

How do the two statements above go together?
OR
Does this mean that someone on cliosport.net is going to admit driver error???!!!???

are the rallyes more to insure than a GTI?

my rallye is less to insure then the 106 GTI had a while ago.

The rallyes dont have an alaarm if that affects it, I dont think Jersey is considered a high-risk theft area :)

The gti is a great car, you get used to the cramped driving position very quickly. If you get a 98 S Reg or newer you get the half leather interior. Wouldnt buy a vts now as even though you can buy it cheaper than a gti, when you go to sell it in a couple of years youll struggle and get peanuts back.

If you cant afford the insurance for the gti, try a series 2 Rallye. As said it is grp 11 insurance. Its less powerful than the gti but theres not that much difference in performance as its 100kg lighter.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 26 November 2003

Dave182 wrote:

OR
Does this mean that someone on cliosport.net is going to admit driver error???!!!???
I was actually hit by a lorry and spun around before I left the road and hit the tree, nothing to do with the handling of the car. I thought someone might pick up on that and respond, should have explained myself batter.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

Proxy Reports:

Software caused connection to abort

An error occurred while trying to retrieve your URL.
This error could have been caused by:

Bad / misspelled URL
Your access permissions
Your network connection and/or transient conditions on the Internet
An error on the source web server

http://www.microsoft.com/proxyMicrosoft Proxy Server v2.0

Proxy Server : pdgdev02.isparadigm.com

Via : 1.0 trafficpilot:8000 (Squid/2.4.STABLE2)

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

huh???? anyway.....go for the 106gti!! i still love the looks!

Mk2 Golf GTI

i would go for a 106 GTI mate. They look good (a million times better than a stinkin saxo!!) and like others have said, there are a load of tuning goodies available. Plus they arent very common

106 GTi has leather seats but a dash board from the 1980s.

A 106 GTi/Saxo VTS will beat a 1.6 16v Clio quite comfortably.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 26 November 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 26 November 2003Dave182 wrote:

OR
Does this mean that someone on cliosport.net is going to admit driver error???!!!???[/QUOTE]I was actually hit by a lorry and spun around before I left the road and hit the tree, nothing to do with the handling of the car. I thought someone might pick up on that and respond, should have explained myself batter.

Yeah, I guessed there must be something, but being an ex teacher, I am a nitpicky pedantic git, so thought I had to comment... ;)... no offence I hope???